Paradise Repositioning (Brief comments, review)

FlaParrotHead

Back yesterday from the LA/Tampa repositioning cruise of the Carnival Paradise and wanted to make just a few comments for now, more as I think about it or people ask. I have lots of pictures that I'll be posting to our website and here if someone would like (just a pain to get them small enough) as most are 6-10mb images.

First, a little about us, this was my DWs 10th and my 11th Carnival sailing, but other than that, there were a lot of firsts for us. First out of LA, therefor first for all of the ports visited with the exception of Grand Cayman. We loved them all, especially Cartagena which was just amazing. I hope Carnival will find a way to visit this port more often. The canal transit was an amazing day filled with great sights and information from the naturalist who joined the ship for the adventure that day.

Carnivals photographer (Mr. Radu) joined the sailing and gave several morning sessions on his experiences as well as advise to the amateur on taking better pictures. He then boarded a helicopter to follow the ship and shoot pictures and video of the canal transit.

While I will not go I to details on the meals unless anyone has specific questions, I can say that our late MDR seating in the Elation dining room was perfect with a great table of 6 (plus 2 new friends a couple of evenings). The selection and food (newer menu) was always served hot and exactly as ordered, our waitstaff (Kris and Val) knew who we were and what we wanted.

They hosted 4 Chef's tables this sailing and we were fortunate enough to get into the last one thanks to one of the best Maitre D's that we have ever had on any cruise. If you have the chance to take advantage of this 4 hour event, by all means do so.

The sailing was also our first 14-day sailing and was a great mix of sea days and ports with the weather cooperating nearly the entire time. The only total wash-out day was the last sea day in route to Tampa, oh well --- still lots to do.

More random thoughts and comments as I think about them and my mind eases back into reality.

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EXCELLENT! I look forward to more info on your repositioning cruise, and especially the ship itself. We've enjoyed so many great cruises aboard "Inspiration", and are going to miss that wonderful ship, and can't wait to hear more about "Paradise".

Thanks for posting!

"SKY"

EXCELLENT! I look forward to more info on your repositioning cruise, and especially the ship itself. We've enjoyed so many great cruises aboard "Inspiration", and are going to miss that wonderful ship, and can't wait to hear more about "Paradise".

Thanks for posting!

"SKY"

@Sky. We cruised The Paradise several times from Miami when she was non-smoking (although I still enjoy my cruising cigars). While showing her age a little, we still love the ship and the size. I'm sure that the February dry dock will update some of the areas needing it, then again, nothing about the age or minor details will effect the fun and R&R that we have when sailing.

We were fortunate enough to get a GS cat cabin, which for 14 days and the transit made a great home-away-from-home each day. We were amazed at how quickly the time passed. Even on a couple of days with a little swell in the oceans, the ship cuts through with little notice.

I can not say enough of the crew on this Carnival ship. From the officers that we found the first night (Captain, Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, Head Chef, and another) at the back Rotterdam bar with few passengers around who we chatted with informally for about 5-10 mins to the bar staff (Zofia at the Atrium bar and Boris in the America Piano Bar), to room stewards that were not even ours (those we just passed in the halls); everyone had smiles, hellos, and a really friendly attitude. I think that many enjoyed the longer sailing as much as we did including the opportunity to have more time to know many of the guests.

While we were amongst the minority, that is we are not yet retired and still work-to-cruise, we also met some of the nicest guests on this cruise (CC roll call and non-CC members) and truly hope to cruise again with many of them.

We did not take our DSs on this cruise (it was "our time" and the first cruise alone we have done since being on the Destiny over 9/11), I think it was better. While they would have loved the transit and the ports, and they are now 19 and 21, they would have had very few companions their own age and might have not enjoyed the sea days or evenings as much.

B

• 2 weeks later...
Back yesterday from the LA/Tampa repositioning cruise of the Carnival Paradise and wanted to make just a few comments for now, more as I think about it or people ask. I have lots of pictures that I'll be posting to our website and here if someone would like (just a pain to get them small enough) as most are 6-10mb images.

First, a little about us, this was my DWs 10th and my 11th Carnival sailing, but other than that, there were a lot of firsts for us. First out of LA, therefor first for all of the ports visited with the exception of Grand Cayman. We loved them all, especially Cartagena which was just amazing. I hope Carnival will find a way to visit this port more often. The canal transit was an amazing day filled with great sights and information from the naturalist who joined the ship for the adventure that day.

Carnivals photographer (Mr. Radu) joined the sailing and gave several morning sessions on his experiences as well as advise to the amateur on taking better pictures. He then boarded a helicopter to follow the ship and shoot pictures and video of the canal transit.

While I will not go I to details on the meals unless anyone has specific questions, I can say that our late MDR seating in the Elation dining room was perfect with a great table of 6 (plus 2 new friends a couple of evenings). The selection and food (newer menu) was always served hot and exactly as ordered, our waitstaff (Kris and Val) knew who we were and what we wanted.

They hosted 4 Chef's tables this sailing and we were fortunate enough to get into the last one thanks to one of the best Maitre D's that we have ever had on any cruise. If you have the chance to take advantage of this 4 hour event, by all means do so.

The sailing was also our first 14-day sailing and was a great mix of sea days and ports with the weather cooperating nearly the entire time. The only total wash-out day was the last sea day in route to Tampa, oh well --- still lots to do.

More random thoughts and comments as I think about them and my mind eases back into reality.

B

Hi there,

the Paradise will be my first Carnival cruise. My brother is getting married on the ship and April and I am in need of some pointers.

I am looking to save money as we will have to fly to Tampa. I am an experienced cruiser and have only sailed on NCL.

1) I am looking for an inside cabin, which floor (or cabin) is the quietest?

2) Is there a spa on board (such as a special indoor pool, hot tub, ect) for a charge?

3) should we do the "anytime" dining or should we go with a certain seating?

4) N|CL did not allow any liquor on board with the exception of champagne or wine and it was a $15 per bottle corkage charge, does carnival offer this?

5) anything else I should know about?

Lisa

Hi there,

the Paradise will be my first Carnival cruise. My brother is getting married on the ship and April and I am in need of some pointers.

I am looking to save money as we will have to fly to Tampa. I am an experienced cruiser and have only sailed on NCL.

2) Is there a spa on board (such as a special indoor pool, hot tub, ect) for a charge?

4) N|CL did not allow any liquor on board with the exception of champagne or wine and it was a $15 per bottle corkage charge, does carnival offer this?

Lisa

3) Do you currently have an assigned dining slot? Early and Anytime/YTD are most popular and usually fill up first. If you have Late dining now, you can go see the Maitre D' upon embarkation in the MDR to request a change. Hopefully all of your group has the same dining right now. 4) CCL does allow 1 750ml bottle of wine/champagne per adult in your carry-on. They only charge corkage fee if you take bottle to MDR. Your steward can put wine glasses in your cabin upon request.

[quote name=FlaParrotHead;31618882

I can not say enough of the crew on this Carnival ship. From the officers that we found the first night (Captain' date=' Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, Head Chef, and another) at the back Rotterdam bar with few passengers around who we chatted with informally for about 5-10 mins to the bar staff (Zofia at the Atrium bar and Boris in the America Piano Bar), to room stewards that were not even ours (those we just passed in the halls); everyone had smiles, hellos, and a really friendly attitude. I think that many enjoyed the longer sailing as much as we did including the opportunity to have more time to know many of the guests.

[/quote]

Thanks for the review. I know many of the West Coast will miss the Paradise. The Inspiration has some big shoes to fill.

Hi there,

Lisa

I have been on the Paradise a few times and will help out if I can. I must say to anyone who can do a repo cruise .... find a way to do it... ours on the Pride was incredible!

1. I really liked the inside cabin I had in the Upper Deck.

2. There is a Spa but as this is an older ship the don't have the special pools like the Splendor and newer ships do.

3. After our last cruise I think we have decided that we will be doing YTD from now on. Late dining was too late and early dining would have been too early.

4. Wine in carry-on only. You can call Bon Voyage to get a bottle of Alcohol delivered to your cabin through the Ship. A little costly, but still a savings versus the individual drinks from the bars. You can also carry on your mixers.

5. While Paradise is a little older, once you get used to the layout you will really like her.

Have a great cruise!

3) Do you currently have an assigned dining slot? Early and Anytime/YTD are most popular and usually fill up first. If you have Late dining now, you can go see the Maitre D' upon embarkation in the MDR to request a change. Hopefully all of your group has the same dining right now. 4) CCL does allow 1 750ml bottle of wine/champagne per adult in your carry-on. They only charge corkage fee if you take bottle to MDR. Your steward can put wine glasses in your cabin upon request.

Hi there, thank you for responding to my questions. We have not booked yet so I am not sure what everyone else is doing. This is a wedding and I am feeling that this is not so organized. I am not even received an invitation yet (I am the sister of the groom) so I am going by what is being said. For the most part, I will be away from the rest of the party as they all have suites and since I am flying in, most of my money is being spent on flying. I think the cost is a bit crazy..... a 5 day cruise is one thousand and this is not even buying drinks, sodas, extras....

Lisa

I have been on the Paradise a few times and will help out if I can. I must say to anyone who can do a repo cruise .... find a way to do it... ours on the Pride was incredible!

1. I really liked the inside cabin I had in the Upper Deck.

2. There is a Spa but as this is an older ship the don't have the special pools like the Splendor and newer ships do.

3. After our last cruise I think we have decided that we will be doing YTD from now on. Late dining was too late and early dining would have been too early.

4. Wine in carry-on only. You can call Bon Voyage to get a bottle of Alcohol delivered to your cabin through the Ship. A little costly, but still a savings versus the individual drinks from the bars. You can also carry on your mixers.

5. While Paradise is a little older, once you get used to the layout you will really like her.

Have a great cruise!

Good morning,

thank you for responding... you mentioned the upper deck, is there a certain section that I should stay away from on this floor? The jury is still out on whether or not I want to spend over 1k on this cruise.... 5 days plus flying.....

Lisa

Good morning,

thank you for responding... you mentioned the upper deck, is there a certain section that I should stay away from on this floor? The jury is still out on whether or not I want to spend over 1k on this cruise.... 5 days plus flying.....

Lisa

Am I missing something? When is the intended cruise?

Good morning,

Lisa

The nice thing about the Upper Deck (deck 6) is that you have cabins above and below so noise is generally not bad. Staying midship is a good place as you are likely to feel the motion least and have easy access to just about anything.

B

Hi there, thank you for responding to my questions. We have not booked yet so I am not sure what everyone else is doing. This is a wedding and I am feeling that this is not so organized. I am not even received an invitation yet (I am the sister of the groom) so I am going by what is being said. For the most part, I will be away from the rest of the party as they all have suites and since I am flying in, most of my money is being spent on flying. I think the cost is a bit crazy..... a 5 day cruise is one thousand and this is not even buying drinks, sodas, extras....

Lisa

Wow! That's a crazy lot of money! Is the price so high because you are going single? Check out the thread on here about 1a cabins. Seems like single fares do better in that category. Also a recent thread on paying the single supplement on Carnival. As for cabins, I would go with the main deck as all cabins have only cabins above and below them. It's a nice small ship so wherever you are it's a fairly short walk to anywhere.

OP, do you know if the band Revolver is still on the Paradise? Did they get a new Bingo machine? It was quite broken back in April.

I love your signature btw. Great attitude!

Thank you for posting!

We will be on this ship on Jan 19th. I know that she goes for dry dock shortly after if not immediately after our sailing. Is she still in good condition? By this, I mean, is the air conditioning working, is she clean? We are not really detail oriented but I'd like to prepare hubby if things are not up to par.

Thanks for any info you can share!

Thanks for posting!

"SKY"

LOL..same feelings in reverse with only one great sailing on Paradise...somethng about less is more on Fantasy Class...Sarah:):)

The aft 1A cabins are also quiet and nice on Empress deck because they are under carpeted dining room and it is a straight shot down the hall to lobby bar area. Plenty of room for a single..just need extra pillows to sit up in bed so head does not hit folded up bunk...only extra need there..very very roomy as a single..4 people can sit and have a chat in there,,,2 on bed, one on stool one in chair...shower is huge for a ship base line room...these rooms are stable and not clausterphobic for insides...would love the porthole 1A's too if they still exist but they may be more rocky...and more expensive..not sure. So my best buget bet and love for quiet and stability woulld be 1A's on Empress, Upper, Main, and Riviera. The staff can spoil you on these ships because not as big..somehow food is more consistent too I think due to smaller size..and now with Chef's Table you even get gourmet if you want...

The woman's locker room in the spa has this nice sauna and showers area and a window with a ledge that us so fun to sit a moment at in your robe looking out to sea...I loved the spa treatment rooms and staff..while not like new ones,,,updated and nice..things just flow and you can find quiet spots on the ship..and endjoy finding areas to stop and look out at sea..and she does feel real stable to me...like other poster said..and the staff just "gets it"..loved my trip on her..Sarah

Wow! That's a crazy lot of money! Is the price so high because you are going single? Check out the thread on here about 1a cabins. Seems like single fares do better in that category. Also a recent thread on paying the single supplement on Carnival. As for cabins, I would go with the main deck as all cabins have only cabins above and below them. It's a nice small ship so wherever you are it's a fairly short walk to anywhere.

OP, do you know if the band Revolver is still on the Paradise? Did they get a new Bingo machine? It was quite broken back in April.

I love your signature btw. Great attitude!

@mom... Yes, Revolver was still playing when we sailed. A few of the band members would pop into the PB late in the evening and have a drink.

While we generally have not been part of the Bingo scene, being a 14-day sailing we did this time and yes! the computer was still having problems starting up.

Happy Holidays to all....

B

Archived