Los Angeles Hotel

nice'n'neat

We will be going out of Los Angeles to Hawaii on March 28. Since we are flying from Houston, we are thinking of staying overnight the night before the cruise. Any suggestions on convenient, reasonably priced hotels? Are there any with a shuttle to the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for your help.

You'll probably have to pay for ground transport somewhere along the line, as the port is quite a distance from the airport. Hotels near the airport don't shuttle to the port, and hotels near the port don't shuttle you from the airport. We flew in in the evening, so we stayed at the airport Hilton, and took Super Shuttle to the port. We had a group, so we booked Super Shuttle for exlusive use. You could take the airport shuttle back to the airport and hook up with the Super Shuttle shared van in this type of situation. I think a cab from the airport to the San Pedro area hotels is about $60, and you won't have to wait for a shuttle van to fill up.

You should fly in the day before to avoid missing the ship should a cancellation or major airline occur.

Be sure to visit the Cruise Critic west coast departures board to get a lot of information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

If you arrive the afternoon before I would stay either in Long Beach (about 15 minutes from the pier) or in San Pedro which is where the pier is. i prefer Long Beach.

To get to either location I would take a private car or a van.

I too recommend super shuttle at http://www.supershuttle.com for the shared van and for a private car I recommend a subsidiary of super shuttle called execucar which is located at http://www.execucar.com

For hotels consider the Hyatt in Long Beach or the Avia Hotel in Long Beach. In San Pedro there are a few to consider including the Doubletree. You can take a hotel shuttle from the Doubletree over to the pier. If you stay in Long Beach best bet is a taxi which will run you about $20.00 to get from Hotel to the Pier.

Keith

We stayed at the Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro -- right across the street from the pier. It's nothing fancy, but it is clean and has a great breakfast included in the price. They have a free shuttle to the pier. We took the Super Shuttle from LAX to the hotel. I think it was somewhere around $37. We've stayed there twice and we would stay there again.

We will be going out of Los Angeles to Hawaii on March 28. Since we are flying from Houston' date=' we are thinking of staying overnight the night before the cruise. Any suggestions on convenient, reasonably priced hotels? Are there any with a shuttle to the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote']

Use Priceline BIDDING for an airport hotel. Usually can get the Sheraton/Hilton or any of the better hotels in the area for $75.00 or less. MAKE SURE you BID 3* or better or you will end up on Century Blvd by the strip bars and the shady lady hotels.

The GOOD airport hotels have shuttles to their hotels. You can take Super Shuttle to the port (hotel shuttle will get you back to the airport).

Save a CHUNK of change by staying at the airport instead of around the port. The cruise port hotels are in the much higher price range.

Probably the most popular hotel for cruises out of San Pedro is the Crowne Plaza which can be had by bidding on Priceline for about $65/$75. While we have stayed at the CP for most of our cruises, our fave is the Double Tree. Both hotels offer a free shuttle to and from the terminal but as for getting to the hotel from LAX you will be on your own. Both Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle offer service from LAX to hotel for about $17 pp...you will find a discount code if you do a search of this forum.

You should fly in the day before to avoid missing the ship should a cancellation or major airline occur.

Be sure to visit the Cruise Critic west coast departures board to get a lot of information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

If you arrive the afternoon before I would stay either in Long Beach (about 15 minutes from the pier) or in San Pedro which is where the pier is. i prefer Long Beach.

To get to either location I would take a private car or a van.

I too recommend super shuttle at www.supershuttle.com for the shared van and for a private car I recommend a subsidiary of super shuttle called execucar which is located at www.execucar.com

For hotels consider the Hyatt in Long Beach or the Avia Hotel in Long Beach. In San Pedro there are a few to consider including the Doubletree. You can take a hotel shuttle from the Doubletree over to the pier. If you stay in Long Beach best bet is a taxi which will run you about $20.00 to get from Hotel to the Pier.

Keith

I would follow Keith's advice (you'll find many of us locals giving the same advice on the Western Destinations board). Don't stay at by the airport. It's not a great area -- lots of strip malls (and you can take that literally:eek:). One of the shuttle companies will pick you up at the terminals and take you to San Pedro or Long Beach (in SP, most people staying pre-cruise stay at the Doubletree or at the Crowne Plaza -- one or both of them will shuttle you over on the morning on your cruise to the World Cruise Center, where the ships sail from). There are some good LB hotels too (look for Steve Bruin's posts on Western destination for some recs), but make sure you tell any shuttle or taxi driver that you want to go to the Port of LA in San Pedro and not the Port of Long Beach (usually only Carnival uses this one).

And I do not recommend Prime Time Shuttle. I have a horrendous experience with them about a year ago (they made not just one mistake, but two major ones on our bookings). I know I'm not the only one who had problems with them.

Archived