Does Anyone Pre-tip the suite butler?

rjm11

Thank you to everyone who responded... by no means do I want to come across as "tacky" or offending... I think I wanted to make sure that the butler knew that I was not only aware of the importance of tipping (ie, that they are not included in the general tipping pool), but also the fact that what I am asking of them is perhaps more than your average suite passenger (2-3 meals in suite, milk stocked in fridge for kids, the general extra hassle that comes with having young kids to tend to, etc). But I'm hearing that perhaps there are better ways to convey this? Maybe tipping after each service would be better?

I guess I don't understand your need to communicate to them that you know about tipping. They know that you know about tipping. Just tip them at the end of your cruise. I guarantee they have had more demanding customers than you so don't worry about that. Don't worry about "the extra hassle because you have kids". They are professionals and know that if they take care of you chances are you will tip them appropriately. You're over thinking this whole thing. :)

So what is an average tip for a butler for an 11 day cruise?

Thanks

There are way too many variables to suggest an average tip..You have to consider your usage, the number of people in your suite, if you have a larger suite you usage might be increased...the variables go on and on..

We never go on a cruise pre conceived notion as to how much we will tip..Just tip what ever you think is fair......

There are way too many variables to suggest an average tip..You have to consider your usage, the number of people in your suite, if you have a larger suite you usage might be increased...the variables go on and on..

We never go on a cruise pre conceived notion as to how much we will tip..Just tip what ever you think is fair......

Yep , and then add a little just for good measure ;)

So what is an average tip for a butler for an 11 day cruise?

Thanks

As others have mentioned , start at $10 a day as a base.

If you have a really great butler , you will always feel like you are under tipping no matter how much you give him.. ;)

I tipped in the beginning and the end

It sort of lets them know that they should be attentive because you are a tipper.

I hope that doesnt sound weird lol

Enjoy!!

Me too. Tip when I first meet them and when we leave. And sometimes a thankyou tip through the cruise.

Tacky? Let me see if I get that right. The guy/gal is there as your personal servant. They get your food for you (because it's way too much trouble to get off my fat duff and walk up to the restaurant myself). He/she keeps the ice cube bucket filled and gets drinks while we're sitting around, way too busy being pampered to walk to a bar. He saves us the effort of getting our own chocolate milk to put in the fridge? Hey folks, Slavery's been outlawed for a while here in the USA. Why is it tacky to show your appreciation? At least I never had a complaint.

On the Jewel our Butler, Ravi helped us find one of our pieces of luggage when it didn't arrive. We felt he went above & beyond considering how busy he was that first day and I asked if he would accept a tip as our thanks.

He said it was his pleasure to help us, but would rather wait until our trip was over to accept anything.

If the Concierge or Butler go out of their way for you that first day, I don't see the harm in asking if they would accept something, but don't be surprised if they turn you down.

We certainly didn't offer it as a bribe & Ravi didn't take it that way either.

Me too. Tip when I first meet them and when we leave. And sometimes a thankyou tip through the cruise.

Tacky? Let me see if I get that right. The guy/gal is there as your personal servant. They get your food for you (because it's way too much trouble to get off my fat duff and walk up to the restaurant myself). He/she keeps the ice cube bucket filled and gets drinks while we're sitting around, way too busy being pampered to walk to a bar. He saves us the effort of getting our own chocolate milk to put in the fridge? Hey folks, Slavery's been outlawed for a while here in the USA. Why is it tacky to show your appreciation? At least I never had a complaint.

Servant? A professional butler is never regarded as a servant. Plus he is not your "personal" butler - you share him:cool:

I dont tip in advance but I am one of the few that tips as the cruise goes along. I dont give it all at the end but spread out the $100 during the week. If the butler does something, I immediately tip them. I dont think they care either way, but I like to let them know I wont stiff them at the end and who knows maybe I do get better service?

To each their own I guess ;)

Tipping is personal and I personally think tipping in advance is tacky. :p

But I am all for tipping nicely when someone does something special. And if someone tips before during and after, it's all good if that is what you like to do :)

And also I personally feel calling any crew member 'servant' is a bit crass. Yeah, I know that technically that's what they are if you want to define the word servant according to Webster...but it's just crappy to call them servants imho.

When I stopped working to take care of my family, I assure you if anyone would have referred to me as a servant, they may have had a bit of a problem :p

Thanks, is that $10 a day person or per suite?:)

You will see a lot of variance in suggestions. We generally start at $10 per person per day for the butler, and that would include all regularly provided services, plus a few in-suite breakfasts. If we get more demanding, we add more tip :D. I would say that our average for two people for 7days is $150-200. And before you ask, we tip the Concierge about $10 per suite per day for a few dinner reservations plus all the regularly included services, more for extra requests, averaging about $100 per week for them. If you are in the Haven, you might also use the Haven butler if you have meals delivered to that space. And we always give a little extra $30-40 to the stewards as well, they are just sooo great!

But remember, tipping is a personal matter - what I feel is right may seem extravagant or cheap to others... Only you can decide what is appropriate for you :).. And we never tip in advance ;).

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will see a lot of variance in suggestions. We generally start at $10 per person per day for the butler, and that would include all regularly provided services, plus a few in-suite breakfasts. If we get more demanding, we add more tip :D. I would say that our average for two people for 7days is $150-200. And before you ask, we tip the Concierge about $10 per suite per day for a few dinner reservations plus all the regularly included services, more for extra requests, averaging about $100 per week for them. If you are in the Haven, you might also use the Haven butler if you have meals delivered to that space. And we always give a little extra $30-40 to the stewards as well, they are just sooo great!

But remember, tipping is a personal matter - what I feel is right may seem extravagant or cheap to others... Only you can decide what is appropriate for you :).. And we never tip in advance ;).

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad you mentioned the room steward. We too find it impossible not to give a bit extra to these oh so hard working people that make your trip seamless. You leave your stateroom , go 100 feet down the hall , forget something , go back and the beds made . Go figure. ;)

I'm glad you mentioned the room steward. We too find it impossible not to give a bit extra to these oh so hard working people that make your trip seamless. You leave your stateroom , go 100 feet down the hall , forget something , go back and the beds made . Go figure. ;)

So that's an NCL thing as well? We took our 1st cruise 2 years ago on Carnival and they are the same way. I always said the bed fairy had been there. No matter if you sat on, laid on, or slept in the bed. If you left the room, no matter for how long, the bed was always made when I got back.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Fishbait17[/left];31638242]You will see a lot of variance in suggestions. We generally start at $10 per person per day for the butler, and that would include all regularly provided services, plus a few in-suite breakfasts. If we get more demanding, we add more tip :D. I would say that our average for two people for 7days is $150-200. And before you ask, we tip the Concierge about $10 per suite per day for a few dinner reservations plus all the regularly included services, more for extra requests, averaging about $100 per week for them. If you are in the Haven, you might also use the Haven butler if you have meals delivered to that space. And we always give a little extra $30-40 to the stewards as well, they are just

sooo

great!

Robin

Sent from my

iPad

using

Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. W will be on an 11 day cruise, and $20 per day for the butler adds up to $220 over and above the other tips, not to mention something extra for the

concierge

and room

steward

. gets a little pricey for me. But as you said, to each his own.

We are a rare breed that enjoys a suite but really don't use the butler or concierge. The butler on our recent cruise just delivered the daily treats that suite cabins get. We did ask him for some more cream which took 2 calls from us to get him to finally bring some cream for coffee. At the end of the 7 day cruise, we tipped him $ 70.00. Re: concierge.We usually like to make our own dinner reservations since we are never sure exactly when or where we want to eat. One night we were in Cagney's ( husband made reservations ) and the concierge came in the restaurant and seemed a tad offended since we made our own reservations. He did make reservations another night for us but that was about all we used him for. He was very nice and of course we have him a generous tip at the end of the cruise but I don't really need or enjoy the extra attention. To me the room stewards are the ones who really are special. We always tip them even though they are included in the daily tip.

On the second day of my October cruise, my butler set up a cocktail party for some of my fellow Cruise Critic members. He did such a fantastic, over-the-top job, I did tip him generously that day and he was surprised and very grateful.

I also gave him another tip on the last day because he was so nice and helpful all week. I am one of those who never tips in advance.

TracyE

On the Jewel our Butler, Ravi helped us find one of our pieces of luggage when it didn't arrive. We felt he went above & beyond considering how busy he was that first day and I asked if he would accept a tip as our thanks.

He said it was his pleasure to help us, but would rather wait until our trip was over to accept anything.

If the Concierge or Butler go out of their way for you that first day, I don't see the harm in asking if they would accept something, but don't be surprised if they turn you down.

We certainly didn't offer it as a bribe & Ravi didn't take it that way either.

We just got off a cruise and the Concierge tried to refuse our tip saying he didn't do anything. :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
On the second day of my October cruise, my butler set up a cocktail party for some of my fellow Cruise Critic members. He did such a fantastic, over-the-top job, I did tip him generously that day and he was surprised and very grateful.

I also gave him another tip on the last day because he was so nice and helpful all week. I am one of those who never tips in advance.

TracyE

TracyE -- I'm trying to get a handle on tipping the butler. We have cruised mostly on HAL and RCCL (once on NCL Epic) and the butler concept is new to us relative to who provides what services on the ship. May I ask what you tipped for setting up the cocktail party (we are doing same). Any other guideline from your perspective you would share?

TracyE -- I'm trying to get a handle on tipping the butler. We have cruised mostly on HAL and RCCL (once on NCL Epic) and the butler concept is new to us relative to who provides what services on the ship. May I ask what you tipped for setting up the cocktail party (we are doing same). Any other guideline from your perspective you would share?

Providing the set up is your usual drinks and snacks and if he stays to pour drinks . (group of 6-10 ) $20 short party ,$40 longer party. This has been our standard.

Keep in mind the basic set up is part of his duties that you would be tipping him for at the end of your cruise. I only tip cash at time of service when he stays for the party.

This make sense ? ;)

Providing the set up is your usual drinks and snacks and if he stays to pour drinks . (group of 6-10 ) $20 short party ,$40 longer party. This has been our standard.

Keep in mind the basic set up is part of his duties that you would be tipping him for at the end of your cruise. I only tip cash at time of service when he stays for the party.

This make sense ? ;)

It makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I had not thought he'd stay and pour the drinks but if he does -- the tip amounts you suggest seem fair and in addition to what is done at the end of the cruise. I'm expecting 12 people.

I see we are more or less neighbors - Crystal Lake and Barrington.

We never tip in advance but thank the butler, concierge and room steward along the way when they do something extra special for us. We always make sure to tip them at the end of the cruise. The butler and room steward, the night before the cruise ends and the concierge, the morning of disembarkation.

I usually split the tip between the beginning and end of the cruise. Not everyone on the ship is tip hungry but I think most are

I triedd to tip the concierge(Adrian Bica) at the beginning of the cruise and he politely refused.

I knew him from a previous cruise and that might have been the reason.

I think tipping in the beginning and then getting bad service would piss me off. That happened to friends of mine who were in the owners suite. We had the smae butler and as far as I was concerned he was inept and useless.

Archived