MSC Splendida

corea

Hello,

I want to buy insurance for the MSC Mediterranean cruise in Feb 2012.

Anyone know where I can buy besides travel agency?

Is the free upgrade just by luck? or should I ask my travel agency in Spain?

Thank you!!

Welcome to cc and the MSC board.

You can use comparison websites, banks, insurance companies, and even supermarkets sell them now. Don't just go by price, check the benefits and exclusions.

Think upgrades are just the luck of the draw. February is a quieter time and the Splendida has loads of balcony cabins, so you might be in luck. No harm in speaking to your TA about it.

Hello,

Thank you!!

I often buy travel insurance direct from one of the insurance companies. I usually use this site to compare prices if I've booked my cruise in the U.S. and want to get insurance from a U.S. company: http://www.insuremytrip.com/ I'm not sure how it would work for a cruise you've booked via a travel agency in Spain however.

I can't speak from any real experience on the free upgrade, but I had booked an inside guarantee and received a significant upgrade for my January Med. cruise. I suspect, but don't know, that guarantees might get more frequent upgrades. On other lines, the only times I've been upgraded were when I purchased guarantees. I will say however though that even with my free upgrade I could have purchased the cruise in the upgraded cabin level cheaper from a European travel agency than the U.S. MSC pricing. So, the free upgrade just makes me feel better about having stuck with my usual travel agent than makes me feel like I got a deal.

Hello,

Thank you!!

Hello again Corea !! I am from Missouri and I notice you are from Minnesota ! Just to let you know that in my Transatlantic cruise with MSC, being an Italian line, there may be some differences with other lines.

You will be charged in Euros, as I am sure you know.

The "tipping" is not really so: it is a "service charge", pocketed by MSC, and hence you may consider, following our US style, to tip directly your waiter and cabin attendant. You will be billed the "service charge" regardless.

In addition, the glass of water we are served at arrival in any restaurant in the US is not offered by MSC, because in Italy is not customary. They sell bottled water only, and the waiters will not bring tap water to the table under any circumstances. Do your math: at 4 Euros per bottle, two bottles a day, 2 weeks, it will add 120 euros to your final bill.

The entertainment was good: I love opera, and there were several presentations during the cruise.

Well, just a comment on what waiter and cabin attendant mentioned to me when I was on board. In any case, I just reproduced their comment. I was surely mis informed by them, but I posted what I was told, in good faith.

Best regards !

I do not doubt they did say something to that effect, but remember, some (less than honest) individuals may say this in the attempts to derive cash tips from guest. There are a multitude of threads on this topic, on all lines.

Hello again Corea !! I am from Missouri and I notice you are from Minnesota ! Just to let you know that in my Transatlantic cruise with MSC, being an Italian line, there may be some differences with other lines.

You will be charged in Euros, as I am sure you know.

The "tipping" is not really so: it is a "service charge", pocketed by MSC, and hence you may consider, following our US style, to tip directly your waiter and cabin attendant. You will be billed the "service charge" regardless.

In addition, the glass of water we are served at arrival in any restaurant in the US is not offered by MSC, because in Italy is not customary. They sell bottled water only, and the waiters will not bring tap water to the table under any circumstances. Do your math: at 4 Euros per bottle, two bottles a day, 2 weeks, it will add 120 euros to your final bill.

The entertainment was good: I love opera, and there were several presentations during the cruise.

I went to St Louis once, it's a very nice city. Now I live in Spain, but am leaving for Asia in few months.

Is the 4 euro water for dinner? Can I just drink tap water or bring our own drink?

I went to St Louis once, it's a very nice city. Now I live in Spain, but am leaving for Asia in few months.

Is the 4 euro water for dinner? Can I just drink tap water or bring our own drink?

If you booked through an American TA you should get vouchers for free bottled water, otherwise you need to pay for it (not sure if it is 4eur though -don't think so)........you can try asking your waiter at dinner for a glass, if they like you, they may well oblige

That was an exageration by a very disgruntled cruiser. Bottled water on all MSC ships will cost you €2.30 a bottle if you buy the water package when you go on board. If you prefer free tap water in the MDR just ask your waiter. Tap water is also free in the dispensers up in the self-service buffet 24 hours every day.

The Splendida is a beautiful ship. You'll love it.

p.s. You might consider updating your "location" in your CC profile from Minnesota to Spain. Most of us thought you lived in the USA.

That was an exageration by a very disgruntled cruiser. Bottled water on all MSC ships will cost you €2.30 a bottle if you buy the water package when you go on board. If you prefer free tap water in the MDR just ask your waiter. Tap water is also free in the dispensers up in the self-service buffet 24 hours every day.

The Splendida is a beautiful ship. You'll love it.

p.s. You might consider updating your "location" in your CC profile from Minnesota to Spain. Most of us thought you lived in the USA.

Thank you for the correct information :) I am sure I will love it.

<PS> Sorry about the profile! It was due to autofill. I just changed it.

Archived