Disney Vs NCL Epic

djjs

Hi Experts, I need your opinion. I am trying to decide between a week cruise on the new Disney Fantasy or NCL Epic. We recently just traveled on a 7 night Disney Magic cruise and loved it. Several things that we loved:

Shows at night

Kids clubs

rotational dinning

Castaway Cay

We were in port with the Epic and it caught our eye. It seems like it has alot to offer our children ages, 5 and 8. I think I would like the freestyle dinning. What I need to know:

How do the kids club compare to disney (probably most important)

do you miss tradional dinning

how do the staterooms compare.

Now for obvious, there is a huge price difference. My husband is leaning towards disney, but I am not so sure it is worth the price. But at the same time, if price was not a consideration, I would probably choose disney, because I feel my children are in the perfect age for that type of cruise.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thank you

I actually prefer NCL to DCL, and the Epic looks awesome! I don't like traditional dining - when we were on DCL, I felt rushed, trying to get ready for dinner. I prefer to eat dinner when we want to eat dinner. My younger kids liked both kids clubs, my older kids (who were 9 and 11 at the time) didn't like DCL's club, and asked not to go. DCL's private island is nicer, and the fact that there is no tender is a big perk. I prefer NCL's shows. We take advantage of the specialty restaurants on NCL (as we did with the one on DCL). Not a big upcharge for a really nice dinner.

The cabins on DCL are larger, but if you want to spend the same amount on NCL, you can get a huge suite with awesome perks (I think NCL gets the most bang for your buck with their suites).

I have not done the Epic, nor NCL in general, but would like to try it some time ... maybe the New York to Bahamas itinerary on the Jewel class ship there. Our Disney Dream's experience is a level above our Disney Wonder's experience. New and big ship, large kids club, Aquaduck, great theatre, better food. BUT, if the itinerary and price are right, I'd try new line and new ship, and the NCL Epic fits perfectly in that category.

I have not sailed Disney. But I will give you my experience on the Epic.

Freestyle - LOVED it with the kids - didn't have a set time to dine so when we were ready, we headed to dinner. They could wear what they wanted and eat what they wanted. Specialty restaurants (and there are a bunch and a nice variety) charge 1/2 price for kids. Traditional dining is nice in that the same servers are there and that's a nice touch but if you eat in the same main dining room at night you can try to request a server's area if you find one you like. But there are some great restaurants on board - 2 main dining rooms and O'Sheehans - all included in the price and then some upcharge restaurants. Also the Garden Buffet is HUGE with a nice variety. Freestyle is great with kids.

Kids Club: My kids were 12 and 5 when we sailed. Both loved the kids club. This was their first cruise. My 5 year old asked to go back time and time again - she loved the activities and all the fun they offered the kids.

Staterooms: I stayed in a 2 Bedroom Villa on Epic. It was absolutely AMAZING. If you are willing to spend Disney prices, depending on when you would sail, you could probably sail in a villa on Epic as well. Disney is a LOT more money. But the suite experience on NCL is amazing. The link in my signature shows the stateroom and kids club information for both 2-5 year olds and 10-12 year olds just so you get an idea what they offer.

The ship: amazing. For kids: waterslides, small kiddie pool area, nice pool, rock wall, sports area. We also took them to Blue Man Group which they loved.

I truly loved the Epic - so much that we booked it again.

After reading CC for so long, the suite perks on NCL are superior to a lot of other lines at a significantly less price. Even if you didn't stay in a suite, the "mini-suite" (which doesn't actually have the perks of a suite like butler, etc.) is a slightly larger balcony room which comfortably fit 2 parents/2 children.

My children were more than thrilled on Epic and still talk about it.

and NCL does some good 3rd/4th passenger rates and sometimes Kids Sail free (but that will definitely be on off-peak times - obviously trying to fill ships with sales).

One thing to note is that NCL has ridiculously small rooms if you do not get a suite. Even the mini-suites on Epic are tiny. People manage, but I think for a family of 4 it would be a tight squeeze. If space and privacy are important to you, you might want to consider connecting rooms on Epic, or a suite as some of the others have mentioned. However, if you do that, the price difference might disappear...

• 2 months later...
One thing to note is that NCL has ridiculously small rooms if you do not get a suite. Even the mini-suites on Epic are tiny. People manage, but I think for a family of 4 it would be a tight squeeze. If space and privacy are important to you, you might want to consider connecting rooms on Epic, or a suite as some of the others have mentioned. However, if you do that, the price difference might disappear...

We cruised on the Epic last year in a mini-suite with our then- 12 y.o. And did not find the cabin to be too small. It is laid out really well with so much storage space we actually had empty storage and we pack like we're going to take a conestoga wagon out west.

Hi Experts, I need your opinion. I am trying to decide between a week cruise on the new Disney Fantasy or NCL Epic. We recently just traveled on a 7 night Disney Magic cruise and loved it. Several things that we loved:

Shows at night

Kids clubs

rotational dinning

Castaway Cay

We were in port with the Epic and it caught our eye. It seems like it has alot to offer our children ages, 5 and 8. I think I would like the freestyle dinning. What I need to know:

How do the kids club compare to disney (probably most important)

do you miss tradional dinning

how do the staterooms compare.

Now for obvious, there is a huge price difference. My husband is leaning towards disney, but I am not so sure it is worth the price. But at the same time, if price was not a consideration, I would probably choose disney, because I feel my children are in the perfect age for that type of cruise.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thank you

We have been on the Disney Magic and NCL Epic. We loved both. Since you have already done the Disney experience, then I would definately suggest trying the EPIC. It's a destination unto itself. Your kids would get more out of the Nickelodean than mine did...mine are 15 and 17 and Sponge Bob, Patrick, Dora, and Diego did not do much for them:D. The shows are great, IMHO right up there with Disney. The pool area/slides would be very appealing to 5 and 8 year old as well as the rock climbing walls, bungee trampoline, spiderweb and the basketball/soccer court.

We love freestyle. Being able to eat when and where you want (as dress as casual or dressy as you want) gives you a lot of freedom. There's no Castaway Cay...but I think the ship itself makes up for it.

Archived