Carnival Victory 12/4-12/11 - First Time Review

SBthud326

It's always nice to see fellow Nebraskans on the board. What part of Omaha are you from?

Julie

Hi Julie! I grew up in Papillion. Lived in Omaha for a bit, then just recently moved to Dayton for work. I miss Omaha. :) What part are you from?

Suzanne

Thank you Paul! We sat in Teck's section, with I Wayan and Hidayat as the assistants. They were just a lot of fun, could joke around with us, and called us by name the entire trip. Also, look for Eko by the pool as soon as you can, he's a great guy to know. :D

I hope you have a wonderful time in January!

Suzanne;Or should I say HI. Britney:D Thanks for the info. Will check out Eko could never try out for the Legend Auditions let alone do karaoke event If I tried they would think one of the frogs got away before they got him ready for a appetizer:rolleyes: .or worse after they took off the legs.

Paul

Day 4 Barbados

Woke up excited for the day because we planned on hitting the beach at The Boatyard, and I had the Chef's Table that night! It's something I've wanted to do since I discovered its existence, and I figured it would be a good opportunity for Jos and Josh to have a little time to themselves. After breakfast we got off the ship and headed through the port to find a taxi. The port has a small indoor shopping mall/area with benches throughout, all of which were occupied by lot of crew members with laptops. Must be good for Wifi. We walked through and headed out to where the taxis were. There were a couple ladies in control and they would ask you how many and where you wanted to go. They'd give you a slip of paper and you would walk through to hand it to a guy outside and he'd set you up with a taxi, usually with other people going to the same place. It was a fairly quick ride through town, and we got to see the main shopping area on the way. We were dropped off right in front of The Boatyard, which doesn't look like there is much there from the front, but when we walked through it was a very nice, fairly large facility. One thing I noticed in Barbados and that every other island we were on, the drivers would stop for you to cross the street without hesitation. Here it took our taxi driver getting out and stopping traffic for us to be able to cross!

The Boatyard has a deal, $12pp for use of chair/umbrellas, a drink and a ride back to port. They have a deal for ship's crew too, but I didn't look at it very closely. We went out to the beach area and got chairs (about half of which have cushions on them, very nice!) and tried to get some sun, though the weather gods weren't cooperating much. We had sun breaking in and out of the clouds for a few hours at least. There were people walking around with things to sell, and offering excursions to snorkel with the turtles, etc. Pretty much once you said no they left you alone. After a while it started raining a little so we grabbed our stuff and went up to the bar area to get our free drink and some food. They have a little menu for you to choose from for your drink, and a pretty extensive bar otherwise. The food menu has a decent selection, and we got hot wings, fries and fish bites. All were good. We hung out for a bit, Josh tried the rope swing when they opened it for a bit, then hopped the shuttle back. The owner basically had a few shuttle/cabs waiting in the parking lot out front so there was always someone there for people to load into for departures every 15min. All in all it was fun, we got to see some crew there just having a good time, and I bet it's crazy fun with a lot of people when the weather is nice. Once back on the ship we ordered room service and took a nap, then got ready for dinner (that was pretty much our MO for the week, room service, shower, nap, hair and makeup, dinner). I was very excited for the Chef's Table, and Jos and Josh were excited to go get some more pictures taken before dinner.

I was told to meet at 6:15pm at the 3rd deck atrium bar, and the Matire' D came out to meet us first, then the Head Chef did (can't remember his name now, and the menu is at home so I will edit this later with all of that info). He took us into the galley and into the salad/app area. We gathered around a table and he told us about his experience, ordering for the ship, etc. We had champagne, and some appetizers, ahi tuna tartar, wasabi crisp, duck pot sticker, steak taco and avocado cheesecake. I'm really kind of a wimp when it comes to trying new things or things that I've had before and didn't like, but I made a deal with myself that I would try every single thing. So I did. And man, the tuna tartar was incredible (i am NOT a fan of raw anything), I like wasabi, duck and steak so those were all very good, and I'm not a fan of avocado but it was also good. One thing I found very amusing is that while we were all standing there (I was in a sequin mini dress) the chefs and assistants in the area kept smiling and waving whenever I looked around, lol. After we were done here, the Chef walked us through the main course portion of the galley and back to the dessert area. While we walked through, all the waiters that were picking up food were saying hi and were happy to see us (or at least made it seem so, since I'm sure we were in their way a bit, haha). We gathered around a table in the dessert area and got to learn how to make warm chocolate melting cake (my second favorite Carnival dessert!). One of us got to help stir it up, and we learned all about making desserts on the ship from the head Pastry Chef. It was really neat, and we found out they only bake the WCMC right before it is served. After we finished we headed up to the library for the rest of dinner.

In the library they had the tables set into one long one and there were place cards for everyone. We sat down first and had our picture taken, then found our seats. Since we had 15 people and I was the only single, I got the head of the table! Yay! We then went around and introduced ourselves so you at least knew a little about the people around you. I got lucky and had a great couple next to me that I really enjoyed talking with throughout the evening. And I did get very talkative since you could take a few sips of wine and they were filling your wineglass back up! (I definitely got my money's worth on wine, lol). We then proceeded through the courses, with the Chef explaining what we were eating before each course. The wait staff was wonderful, very attentive, and the food was just incredible. We had another tartar, I think it was salmon this time, and it was ok, but once again, I'm not a fan of raw stuff. Following the tartar was fried calamari. I've had a couple of experiences with calamari and they were NOT good, but I tried to be brave and ate a couple of the rings. They weren't nearly as bad as I've had before, actually pretty good but probably not something I'll eat again, lol. Then it was a tomato and chili bisque, which was SO yummy. Followed by a chopped Mediterranean salad which was awesome. I LOVE a good salad. Then it was the sea bass filet, which was very good (surprisingly to me since I'm not a huge fan of most fish). I didn't get a picture of this one unfortunately, but the risotto it was served with was the best I've ever had. I could have had a bowl of that and been a happy girl! Finally we got to the filet mignon, which the Chef asked us how we wanted them cooked, and while they were cooking them, the Magician stopped by. He was very entertaining, and very good. I made Jos and Josh go see him the next night at the wine bar because he was so good. We got our steaks and of course it was melt in your mouth good. Finally we got dessert, which was made up a variety of items, including our WCMC. I was so happy I had the experience, which lasted over 3 hours, but was SO worth it! I'm definitely going to have to do this on my next cruise, since by the time I cruise again I'm sure all the ships will be on the new menu.

Since it did last so long, I missed the Juggling and Comedy show that I really wanted to see, but that's ok. I found Jos and Josh in the theatre and we did some more karaoke, a little more drinking (though I don't think I needed any more at that point, lol), and went to bed since we had to be up early for our St. Lucia tour the next day.

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

Library

IMG_5739.jpg

Salmon Tartar

IMG_5741.jpg

Thanks for the review. Enjoying and enjoying.

Question for you. I started a thread on this and someone suggested I ask a recent Victory review writer.

Do you recall if they had Luggage Express or not? It is the program where you send your bags for a fee at disembarkation and don't see them again till home airport? We can't find out and have been given three answers by CCL.

We appreciate any info you can provide.

Question for you. I started a thread on this and someone suggested I ask a recent Victory review writer.

Do you recall if they had Luggage Express or not? It is the program where you send your bags for a fee at disembarkation and don't see them again till home airport? We can't find out and have been given three answers by CCL.

I know the Victory didn't have it last year. Boy my fingers are crossed for your answer. I'm REALLY hoping they have it again on the Victory. We used it on the Dream; It was soooo nice not to drag luggage all over.

Thank you! As far as I know, the Victory does NOT have luggage express. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the bags have to have the USDA scan before you can check them......maybe not. But I do know that I was told before the cruise that it was not offered, and onboard the option was not given when we received our debarkation packet. Sorry!

Suzanne;Or should I say HI. Britney:D Thanks for the info. Will check out Eko could never try out for the Legend Auditions let alone do karaoke event If I tried they would think one of the frogs got away before they got him ready for a appetizer:rolleyes: .or worse after they took off the legs.

Paul

Hahaha, Paul. The best part about doing karaoke on board is that you NEVER have to see these people again! It's the best time to try it. :D And believe me, there were a few that sounded like you described, but Ana at least (Ana from Romania who is the karaoke host) makes sure the crowd in the lounge is fun and supportive, and boy were they. They made it easy and enjoyable for anyone to get up and give it a try.

In your post regarding the chefs table you mention that you hope that all the ships with be on the new menu next time you cruise. As far as I know, all ships implemented the new menu in Sept. Can someone confirm this?

In your post regarding the chefs table you mention that you hope that all the ships with be on the new menu next time you cruise. As far as I know, all ships implemented the new menu in Sept. Can someone confirm this?

We were told by the Head Chef that it had not been implemented in most of the fleet yet and would be sometime next year. I know our menu was the "old" one.

Digging the review so far, we are going on her in March. We too are staying at the same hotel, can you give me a little info as to what is walkable i.e. restaurants, beaches how far to old SJ. Any little bits of info would be awesome. And keep the review going, for a review virgin you are doing great.

We were told by the Head Chef that it had not been implemented in most of the fleet yet and would be sometime next year. I know our menu was the "old" one.

Lucky, We were on the Destiny and preferred the old menu from the Victory cruise. Although we did like the didja ever items.

Great review so far. We are planning to redo this itinerary hoping in the next 2 years. It is always interesting to see what others have done.

Lucky, We were on the Destiny and preferred the old menu from the Victory cruise. Although we did like the didja ever items.

Great review so far. We are planning to redo this itinerary hoping in the next 2 years. It is always interesting to see what others have done.

Looks like I may have been a little confused on your question. The Chef's Table menu was the "old" menu and has not changed fleet wide yet. However I do believe that all ships have changed the main dining room menu to the new one. The MDR menu we had on the Victory was the new one with the fried chicken, meatloaf and didja items. I really don't think there was that much of a change, at least for me they kept the items that I really liked. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to get shrimp cocktail every night.

Digging the review so far, we are going on her in March. We too are staying at the same hotel, can you give me a little info as to what is walkable i.e. restaurants, beaches how far to old SJ. Any little bits of info would be awesome. And keep the review going, for a review virgin you are doing great.

Thank you! There is a nice little shopping area a couple blocks from the hotel with some good restaurants. I had read previously good things about a place called Orozco's, and when I asked someone local how to get there, they told me I had good taste. :D And it was very good mofongo. There are some good reviews on Trip Advisor if you want to check it out. But there are some other restaurants along that area, including a Wendy's and a Subway if you are hungry for american food!

The beach is only a couple blocks away too, and at least on saturday there was a great open air market in the green square next to it. On the beach itself there is a little pier on the end where you walk up, which I thought was kind of nice because it protected a little area from the waves, but the rest was very open as you could see from the pictures.

It is a little ways into Old San Juan, definitely need a cab ride, I think it was like $12 or $15? We thought it was a really great place to stay, especially for the price. The breakfast was decent, and they had waffles (seemed to be everyone's favorite), the rest was mainly a continental style with toast, hard boiled eggs, a couple cereals and juices and coffee. Oh and make sure you always take the elevator on the right, it's like the express elevator compared to the one on the left. ;) And there was a CVS just a few blocks away if you forgot anything or want to get anything to drink. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Julie! I grew up in Papillion. Lived in Omaha for a bit, then just recently moved to Dayton for work. I miss Omaha. :) What part are you from?

Suzanne

I grew up and still live in Northwest Omaha--by Irvington. I love Omaha as well and would never live anywhere else. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived