Dawn 10 day review...Garden Villa!!! 12/4-12/14

Kristi Williamson

...I'm hoping to add pictures as I go, but it's been a while, so be patient!...

First, this was our first cruise with NCL, as well as our first 10 dayer. I'll spare you the suspense and just tell you it was AWESOME! We could not have been happier with NCL, our ports, our room or our experience as a whole. It was quite simply...FABULOUS!

We are a family of 6...2 boys, 2 girls, one mom and one dad. We drove down from SC and decided to break up the trip down with a stop in Port Canaveral and our traditional stomping grounds of Comfort Inn and Suites. It felt good to be back there and we had fun playing in the hot tub and pool all by ourselves that first night. It was sort of our official...YAY! the fun has started!

We traveled the remaining 3 hours to Ft. Lauderdale the next day and shacked up at the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Griffin Rd. It's good, but nothing like the CI&S. It serves it's purpose of being somewhere to sleep and catch the ship. We didn't hate it, but we didn't love it, either. The breakfast area is extremely inefficient. Again, no big deal, but you're basically in a corner with a coffee machine, some Jimmy Dean biscuits and some orange juice. (no, seriously...the JD biscuits are in the little mini fridge and you stick it in the micro-wave if you can beat your way thru the masses to get to it)

Before we knew it, our driving days were over, and the F.U.N. was really starting! Oh...we took QLS from Ft. Lauderdale over to POM and they were extremely efficient and well organized. They called us before they showed up and were right on time! They picked us up on debark morning also and we have absolutely no complaints! Next up, the Garden Villa and the awesome ports of the 10 day Dawn itinerary!

We originally book a DOS, but after boarding we spoke to the Concierge, Virginia, and asked if the Garden Villa was available. BOTH were empty and we were bumped to the most fabulous room on the seas. No matter what words or photos I use, I cannot convey the absolute unbelievable awesomeness of this room. You simply cannot believe the size, scope and coolness of the Villa until you've been there. Believe me, I researched them plenty before boarding and thought I was prepared...I was wrong. They are beyond anything I can explain. If you EVER get the opportunity to have this room, DO IT! It really is worth it! It completely changes your cruise experience and I was always one of those people that said...Oh, it's just a room; it doesn't matter. I was wrong.

Here's a list of the extras:

1. 3 of the most incredible bedrooms you can imagine...each one with views that knock your socks off every single day.

2. 3 bathrooms, 2 of which are ginormous with large showers, double sinks, and luxurious tubs.

3. 2 bedrooms had walk-in closets the size of Inside staterooms...not even kidding. These were BIG closets!

4. One free meal in a pay restaurant...we chose Tappenyaki. YUM!

5. 6 free bottles of liquor, and unlimited soda and water. With six people we probably drank 200.00 dollars in soda and water alone.

6. Butler/Concierge

7. Fruit and fresh flowers

8. Snacks every day. I don't know about other suites, but we got so many snacks each day we couldn't eat them. Most days we got a tray of finger sandwiches, chips, chocolates, fruit tray, and juice. Always with a smile.

9. Gorgeous patio area with private hot tub, an eight seater table, 4 loungers, and a four seater table and a steam room.

10. Half of deck 15 with 6 more loungers, a double seating chair with the little cover and a large couch flanked by two end tables. Best place to view sail away in the history of EVER!

11. Did I mention the spectacular room itself?! :D:);)

12. A living area with a piano and one wall of windows that overlooks the pool area. FUN, FUN time people watching.

13. Phones to lug around that would call anywhere while on the ship...and even some places while less than a football field away from the ship. :o

14. Privacy. Real, complete privacy. I didn't realize how priceless this would be until I actually had it while on the ship. The privacy alone was worth the price tag. We truly were able to relax and enjoy our family and you just can't place monetary value on that. Again, I didn't even realize how little you have on a ship until I got it. When we were on our private deck we couldn't hear a thing and no one could hear or see us. It was a beautiful thing. One morning I actually watched the sun come up and just stood there crying at the beauty and peace. I was feeling really blessed. I'm not a crier...so I was more shocked than you probably are. The beauty and joy of that moment simply cannot be relayed correctly here...but, I'll try my best!

OK...I'm gonna try to get these pic uploaded so you can have some visuals. Be back shortly with the real review of the ship and pics and reviews of Samana, Virgin Gorda, Antigua, and St. Kitts.

The first day of our cruise was a sea day and like most people we ate, read books, sunned, got in the hot tub, ate some more, drank a little, slept in and ate some more. We had dinner at the Venetian the first night and Aqua on this night. Both were typical cruise fare and pretty much what we expected. I know some NCL reviews go on and on about the food, but honestly, it's just like CCL and RCI. Basic, decent and for the most part palatable. If you're cruising expecting Ruth's Chris, you'll be disappointed. We don't cruise to eat.

I will say the only decent desserts to be had were the chocolate brownie at Cagney's and the cheesecake at Blue Lagoon. All the rest really were yucky. This is the only area that I really feel like other lines overtake NCL. But, desserts just aren't that big of a deal! After all, there's always chocolate covered strawberries! :p

1st port coming up...SAMANA and the Caves and Mangroves. I'll upload a few more pics and then I'll get back to this tomorrow. For now, it's laundry and getting the kids to bed!

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise113.jpg

A rainbow in the early morning coming into Samana...kinda sets the tone for a great day, huh?!

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise126.jpg

This one is very grainy because we were on a catamaran, but I still liked it.

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise084.jpg

Thanks for sharing Kristi... I am sailing on the Dawn on January 4th and it will be my first ever cruise. :D going with my 17 yr old son and my sis and her family - hubby, 17,23 yo kids (their 3rd cruise).

your pics are AMAZING and make me want the luxury of the Garden Villa ( need a sugar daddy for that one lol ):D

Lynn

We originally book a DOS, but after boarding we spoke to the Concierge, Virginia, and asked if the Garden Villa was available. BOTH were empty and we were bumped to the most fabulous room on the seas. No matter what words or photos I use, I cannot convey the absolute unbelievable awesomeness of this room. You simply cannot believe the size, scope and coolness of the Villa until you've been there. Believe me, I researched them plenty before boarding and thought I was prepared...I was wrong. They are beyond anything I can explain. If you EVER get the opportunity to have this room, DO IT! It really is worth it! It completely changes your cruise experience and I was always one of those people that said...Oh, it's just a room; it doesn't matter. I was wrong.

Here's a list of the extras:

1. 3 of the most incredible bedrooms you can imagine...each one with views that knock your socks off every single day.

2. 3 bathrooms, 2 of which are ginormous with large showers, double sinks, and luxurious tubs.

3. 2 bedrooms had walk-in closets the size of Inside staterooms...not even kidding. These were BIG closets!

4. One free meal in a pay restaurant...we chose Tappenyaki. YUM!

5. 6 free bottles of liquor, and unlimited soda and water. With six people we probably drank 200.00 dollars in soda and water alone.

6. Butler/Concierge

7. Fruit and fresh flowers

8. Snacks every day. I don't know about other suites, but we got so many snacks each day we couldn't eat them. Most days we got a tray of finger sandwiches, chips, chocolates, fruit tray, and juice. Always with a smile.

9. Gorgeous patio area with private hot tub, an eight seater table, 4 loungers, and a four seater table and a steam room.

10. Half of deck 15 with 6 more loungers, a double seating chair with the little cover and a large couch flanked by two end tables. Best place to view sail away in the history of EVER!

11. Did I mention the spectacular room itself?! :D:);)

12. A living area with a piano and one wall of windows that overlooks the pool area. FUN, FUN time people watching.

13. Phones to lug around that would call anywhere while on the ship...and even some places while less than a football field away from the ship. :o

14. Privacy. Real, complete privacy. I didn't realize how priceless this would be until I actually had it while on the ship. The privacy alone was worth the price tag. We truly were able to relax and enjoy our family and you just can't place monetary value on that. Again, I didn't even realize how little you have on a ship until I got it. When we were on our private deck we couldn't hear a thing and no one could hear or see us. It was a beautiful thing. One morning I actually watched the sun come up and just stood there crying at the beauty and peace. I was feeling really blessed. I'm not a crier...so I was more shocked than you probably are. The beauty and joy of that moment simply cannot be relayed correctly here...but, I'll try my best!

OK...I'm gonna try to get these pic uploaded so you can have some visuals. Be back shortly with the real review of the ship and pics and reviews of Samana, Virgin Gorda, Antigua, and St. Kitts.

Thanks for your review! Congratulations on a great upgrade! Question: did you upsell or were you given the Garden Villa gratis?

I'm so excited!!!! I'll be traveling in 14000 on the Dawn January 4. I've been trying to read everything I can find on the GVs, especially on the Dawn. Can you tell me, of the 2 non-master bedrooms, which one has the king bed and which has the queen? Also, in either of those rooms, do the beds split to become twins, or is there a pull out bed in the middle room? We've been trying to figure out where every one is going to sleep before we get on the ship. It's my husbands family, so his parents, us and his brother and sister. Oh, and who were your conceirge and butler?

Sorry, I'll probably have tons more questions. Your the most recent person to have sailed in the Dawn's GVs so I'm bursting to know as much as possible.

Hey..... IkeNHermes are you going to the Meet and Greet for the Dawn?

Hope to meet you there!!! :D

Lynn

I've been on the fence about that. I'm a huge wallflower and make a very bad first impression with a lot of people. (I'm not shy but I don't talk a lot, especially with new people and people think I'm stuck up or that I don't like them or I'm unfriendly):o

I'm so excited!!!! I'll be traveling in 14000 on the Dawn January 4. I've been trying to read everything I can find on the GVs, especially on the Dawn. Can you tell me, of the 2 non-master bedrooms, which one has the king bed and which has the queen? Also, in either of those rooms, do the beds split to become twins, or is there a pull out bed in the middle room? We've been trying to figure out where every one is going to sleep before we get on the ship. It's my husbands family, so his parents, us and his brother and sister. Oh, and who were your conceirge and butler?

Sorry, I'll probably have tons more questions. Your the most recent person to have sailed in the Dawn's GVs so I'm bursting to know as much as possible.

We were in 14000 and there are more like two "master" bedrooms and one that's still gorgeous in the center of the two masters! The front and last bedrooms have a king size bed. Actually, my husband and I chose the bedroom closest to the patio area because of the patio location. It has the exact same size closet as what most people would consider the "master". They both have king size beds that do not pull apart. The only thing different in the bathroom is the tub, and we actually preferred the smaller tub over the large one. The large tub in the bedroom closest to the living area is so huge that you almost could get out of it! LOL

The queen size bed is in the center bedroom. The bathroom in this bedroom is also a standard ship bathroom. No bells and whistles in this one other than the shower has a small tub area. It does have spectacular views, though. Every single room in the cabin ( ALL of them) have incredible views, though. Also, that middle bedroom is a deep burgundy color and when the drapes are drawn at night, it is DARK. That may be a big bonus for some of you. My teenager was in that room and loved it for that reason.

You are going to LOVE this room!

Thanks everyone for all the kind remarks. We really enjoyed the Dawn so much and wish we were right back on her! I may have left out that this was also our oldest son's graduation present, as well. We homeschool and he's finishing up this year, but dual enrollment begins next semester and we don't cruise during the summer months, so this was really the only time open to us. We are so grateful for this trip! The weather even cooperated with us! :p

And now, on to Samana...

1st port: Samana, D.R.

I hadn't read good things about Samana, but as in all things I think it's really preparing yourself and making good decisions about what you're doing. I knew I didn't want a beach day here, but I didn't feel comfortable walking around the pier, either. So after some researching and planning, we decided on the Caves and Mangroves tour. We don't typically choose to do ship planned excursions, but this one worked for us.

The guides met us right at the dock (after a 20 minute tender to the pier!)and quite a few of us piled into their speed boat and headed out. The weather looked scary, but we only got rained on once just as we were re-approaching the ship. I heard many people's beach day was ruined here, but we literally got wet only in the last 5 minutes of the return trip. WOO-HOO!

The caves are truly spectacular. Our guide was born and bred in Samana and was very knowledgeable, even if he did have to keep asking us if we could understand him. I thought his English was fine, but evidently he worried about his ability to fully communicate. Once we were underground, it is DARK! And then...the ground just opens up...ABOVE you! That was super cool. At one point in the second cave, we entered an area that the hole in the ground above your head was also the source that a VERY old tree had chosen to send it's roots down. The roots were so old that they have no idea how long they've been there. It took two men with connecting arms to reach around these roots that had grown down into the cave to survive. That was cool!

We saw some Indian drawings from 100's of years ago, and my kids loved the mussels that had attached to the roots of the mangroves. They also drove us past a place where the white herons live and raise their young. My kids were enthralled with that. There were probably 1000 birds at this little place.

This was worth the experience, although it isn't something you need to do twice. The caves were my favorite. I would say use caution if you have any mobility issues. There was some steep climbs, not to mention the caves are SLICK! I'd say 10 people slipped and fell, although no one came close to getting hurt. They just popped back up and off we went again. There's very limited lighting, as well. In a pitch black cave, with probably 45 tourists, there were only 5 flashlights. At some point, everyone was in the dark. We still enjoyed it. Pics are coming up!

Heading into the protected National Forest in Samana. There were Rangers stationed thru out the forest because of poachers. They didn't bother us, though.

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise129.jpg

See the little mussels attached all over the roots of the mangroves. There were crabs all over them, too. My three youngest were so happy here.

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise132.jpg

December2011cruiselastfamilycruise133.jpg

1st port: Samana, D.R.

I hadn't read good things about Samana, but as in all things I think it's really preparing yourself and making good decisions about what you're doing. I knew I didn't want a beach day here, but I didn't feel comfortable walking around the pier, either. So after some researching and planning, we decided on the Caves and Mangroves tour. We don't typically choose to do ship planned excursions, but this one worked for us.

The guides met us right at the dock (after a 20 minute tender to the pier!)and quite a few of us piled into their speed boat and headed out. The weather looked scary, but we only got rained on once just as we were re-approaching the ship. I heard many people's beach day was ruined here, but we literally got wet only in the last 5 minutes of the return trip. WOO-HOO!

The caves are truly spectacular. Our guide was born and bred in Samana and was very knowledgeable, even if he did have to keep asking us if we could understand him. I thought his English was fine, but evidently he worried about his ability to fully communicate. Once we were underground, it is DARK! And then...the ground just opens up...ABOVE you! That was super cool. At one point in the second cave, we entered an area that the hole in the ground above your head was also the source that a VERY old tree had chosen to send it's roots down. The roots were so old that they have no idea how long they've been there. It took two men with connecting arms to reach around these roots that had grown down into the cave to survive. That was cool!

We saw some Indian drawings from 100's of years ago, and my kids loved the mussels that had attached to the roots of the mangroves. They also drove us past a place where the white herons live and raise their young. My kids were enthralled with that. There were probably 1000 birds at this little place.

This was worth the experience, although it isn't something you need to do twice. The caves were my favorite. I would say use caution if you have any mobility issues. There was some steep climbs, not to mention the caves are SLICK! I'd say 10 people slipped and fell, although no one came close to getting hurt. They just popped back up and off we went again. There's very limited lighting, as well. In a pitch black cave, with probably 45 tourists, there were only 5 flashlights. At some point, everyone was in the dark. We still enjoyed it. Pics are coming up!

I'm really enjoying your review. I sail on Christmas morning alone and I have become a little apprehensive about sailing alone on Christmas Day.... Your reveiew and pictures have helped me focus on why I booked this trip to begin with.......

Looks like a great time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing......

I'm really enjoying your review. I sail on Christmas morning alone and I have become a little apprehensive about sailing alone on Christmas Day.... Your reveiew and pictures have helped me focus on why I booked this trip to begin with.......

Looks like a great time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing......

You will have a marvelous time, Cheryl! I'm sure cruising alone can be intimidating, but we found the crew and passengers to be friendly and kind. I'm glad that the review is helping to get your nerves gone and your fun meter going! The Dawn is lovely and the ports are just wonderful. I'm sure your cruise will be a great Christmas present. Come back and let us know about all the memories you'll make! :)

Second Port: Tortola

This was the primary port that we wanted to see and we were not disappointed. We visited the Baths of Virgin Gorda and in our opinion, this is NOT to be missed!! There's just no where else like it.

First, we got off the ship around 9:30 to meet out guide. Actually, Virginia, the concierge led us off the ship. She led us through the crew area and a back elevator and we were on the dock in about 3 minutes flat. We thought that was very sweet of her.

Speedy's is the ferry that will take you over to Virgin Gorda. What a pleasant surprise they were!! They are located just at the end of the pier. You'll see the sign if you choose to go to the Baths. The boat is FAST, plus it's clean as a pin and air conditioned! They offer you water and have a movie playing on the flat screen. We've never seen a Caribbean ferry this clean or well organized.

The ride is about 25 minutes to get to Virgin Gorda. Between the movie, and the views, it seemed like we were there in 5 minutes. There are open air buses waiting to take you to the Baths when you leave the ferry. So, we were off. You can choose the beach at the end of the 375 yard path, or you can take a left at the end of the path and go to Devils' Bay. We picked Devil's Bay because we didn't want to just LOOK at the Baths....we wanted to climb all over them!

I wish I had the words, or even the pics, to describe the Baths...but, alas, I don't. They are incredible!!!! So, I'll just let my pics do the best they can. Next post...pics of the Baths!

Archived