Thomson Moving the goal posts

We booked our marmaris cruise for may, last june. Thomson have just sent out revised invoices, and apart from dropping the luggage from 23k to20k, they now expect you to pay your balance a full 12 weeks before you depart, as opposed to the former 8 weeks. that will give them a lot of money for a long period of time. I hope they dont think they can do as they like because Thomas Cook are going belly up. I pointed out that when we booked the deal was 8 weeks for the balance. after a discusion with head office they agreed and put a note on our booking.

No, when I checked back on our original and read the small print, it said 20k. There was no mention of it verbally when we booked , and I couldn't argue the point. Thomso bought out callers Pegasus, and turned them into thomson shops or closed them down. Thomas cook bought out Coop Travel, who were independant, so if we lose them, as appears to be on the cards, thomson/tui are going to be virtually on their own without much competition which is bad for us customers.

We booked our marmaris cruise for may, last june. Thomson have just sent out revised invoices, and apart from dropping the luggage from 23k to20k, they now expect you to pay your balance a full 12 weeks before you depart, as opposed to the former 8 weeks. that will give them a lot of money for a long period of time. I hope they dont think they can do as they like because Thomas Cook are going belly up. I pointed out that when we booked the deal was 8 weeks for the balance. after a discusion with head office they agreed and put a note on our booking.

They are not daft , if your original invoice read 8 weeks and thats what you signed for and lets face it , its not costing them is it ? To let you go four more weeks but your invoice also reads 20Kluggage . Now if it had read 23k. the regulation of misleading you comes into force . Maybe if you tell them you intend to seek recompense after your holiday if you end up paying for extra luggage as you were lead to beleive it was 23 kgs by them when you booked the cruise . Maybe they may just pop the goalposts back to whence they came . Worth a try ;)

Reg 4 :) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/regulation/4/made

Be Good

santaslay1.gif

Kalos

The thing that wind's me up every time you ring them it's a premium rate number and we didn't even get sent tickets for our recent cruise in November which was booked april, communication is now very poor!

Try their landline number: 01792 483369

Our tickets for New Year, flying on 26th December, state 23kg hold luggage and 5kg hand luggage. When we booked last January we were quoted 7kg for hand luggage.

Carol x

Hi Carol,

The luggage allowance is 23 + 7 Kg - I had an exchange with the check-in staff at our local airport which claimed it was 23 + 5Kg when we flew in October.

From Thomson's current cruise brochure (May 2011) on page 239 in the A-Z guide it clearly states:

" On Thomson Airways you can check in 23Kg and take up to 7Kg as hand luggage for departures up to 30th April 2012. You can check in 20Kg and take up to 7Kg as hand luggage for departures from 1st May 2012."

It's a matter of principle - and possibly cost if you risk an excess baggage charge! As others have said, the allowance changes as of 01.05.12 but for your flight dates - I would maintain you have 7 Kg cabin allowance.

Who have you booked with? I would take it up with them. We once had tickets with only 20Kg hold allowance and I rang the TA (on-line Thomson type agency) and they agreed it was an error and they issued me with a letter to take with me to the airport just in case it was disputed. I'd try to get confirmation as you may need the extra - or want to bring back some gifts, rum ( some good offers in the Caribbean :D !) etc and wish you had a Kilo or two to spare.

Good luck!

I should be ok for bringing stuff back as my suitcase only weighs in at 19.55kg. We are on the Colourful Coasts to the Canaries so sadly no Caribbean goodies this year, and we brought a litre of honey rum back from Lanzarote in November anyway.

I also think by right we should have the 7kg for hand baggage as specified on our original booking, though if I carry my library book and put my purse in my coat pocket it weighs just under the 5kg so either way I will be ok!! Our flight doesn't land until 6pm so as well as the usual, jewellery, glasses etc, I am carrying an outfit and shoes to change into for dinner on the first night.

You just don't want any aggro at the check-in desk, do you? I booked on-line with Thomson.

Carol x

Carol x

I should be ok for bringing stuff back as my suitcase only weighs in at 19.55kg. We are on the Colourful Coasts to the Canaries so sadly no Caribbean goodies this year, and we brought a litre of honey rum back from Lanzarote in November anyway.

I also think by right we should have the 7kg for hand baggage as specified on our original booking, though if I carry my library book and put my purse in my coat pocket it weighs just under the 5kg so either way I will be ok!! Our flight doesn't land until 6pm so as well as the usual, jewellery, glasses etc, I am carrying an outfit and shoes to change into for dinner on the first night.

You just don't want any aggro at the check-in desk, do you? I booked on-line with Thomson.

Carol x

Carol x

Oh sorry got mixed up with your destinations - but seems as though you have it all covered now anyway. ;) You made me smile though with your library book and purse being secreted about your person - once when we checked in we looked like a couple of Michelin men with umbrellas, cagoules, books in pockets and binoculars, cameras slung round our necks!!! We'd done the night before check-in at Gatwick so having had an over-night had more in our hand luggage than usual - and I was determined not to pay xs baggage especially since many passengers weigh 50% more than me! :D

Anyway have a wonderful time Carol - I'm sure you will. I'll raise a toast to you on the Destiny on New Year's Eve - Happy New Year and Happy Sailing! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've just been on the Thomson website and it says only 15kg hold luggage and 5 Kg hand luggage. Anyone know whay's correct?

Cheers

Martin

I think that's standard holiday allowance (more for a la carte etc.) or the Thomson flight allowance. Cruises are higher. Perhaps you've seen the general allowance not the cruise one.

Here is the relevant info from their current brochure. I'm not sure how it will display on your computer but if the print is small, click on the page and it will zoom in so you can read it more easily.

http://thomson.inbro.net/seeinsidebrochure/Thomson_Cruises-January-2012-...-April-2013-%28December-Edition%29/TRANSPORT-Information/Flying-with-Thomson-Airways/page_197

Absolutely clear - 30Kg (23 kg hold and 7 kg hand luggage) until 01.05.12 after which it's 27Kg (20 +7)

If your original booking and deposit stipulates eight weeks, then eight weeks it is. You were right to get them to put a note on your file that you would pay within eight weeks. If you or others feel misled by this letter, you can bring it to the attention of the Office of Fair Trading.

Archived