Must do excursions for ports of call

TallinnGirl

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise May 2012 and would like some advice on things to do in our ports of call.

Juneau - whale watching cruise and the Mount Roberts tramway.

Is the salmon bake worth the extra $? I have read some mixed reviews.

Skagway - Whitepass scenic railway. Is the trip to Yukon worth the time and $ or will the scnenic railway be plenty?

Ketchikan - not quite sure what to plan here. I was thinking possibly Totem Bight and Lumbejack show.

Any feedback on excursions for these ports of call would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Your choices are all good ones.

Are YOU interested in seeing the Yukon? No point in considering it, if you aren't. You may want to take a closer look at the descriptions and trip reports of the transit. You can do this by rail road, or by road round trip.

Ketchikan- are you interested in seeing totems? Totem Bight needs a 3 hour allotment of time. You can print out and bring with you the totem guide. If unsure about the offerings take a look at a shore excursion list. available online.

You might consider also going to Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau if you have the time although I would definitely do the whale watch tour above anything else. There are also combo tours that do both. It’s an easy bus ride to the glacier from where the ship will dock or tender. Not sure how much it will be this year but most likely around $10 per person.

It’s an easy bus ride to the glacier from where the ship will dock or tender. Not sure how much it will be this year but most likely around $10 per person.

This is the range for the one way rate.

As suggested, get a direct pick up/drop off at Mendenhall Glacier to save at least an hour in transit time.

Agreed that you need to figure out what you like to do. I would tell you that the glacier landing and Xtrek in Juneau was the best thing we've ever done but for people who aren't as active as we are they would not be interested.

Here are my recommendations for active/adventurous people:

Juneau - Xtrek with Northstar trekking

Skagway - helicopter dog sledding after visit to the Yukon / Emerald Lake

Ketchican - Combo kayaking and misty fjords flightseeing with Southeast Sea Kayaks

Denali - Whitewater rafting with Denali Outdoor Adventure

Talkeetna - Mckinley flightseeing with K2, Fishing for Kings in the Talkeetna river

etc etc....

You might consider also going to Mendenhall Glacier while in Juneau if you have the time although I would definitely do the whale watch tour above anything else. There are also combo tours that do both. It’s an easy bus ride to the glacier from where the ship will dock or tender. Not sure how much it will be this year but most likely around $10 per person.

We are not too interested in the Mendenhall glacier as we will see lots of glaciers during our scenic cruise day in Glacier Bay. I think whale watching and the tramway should suffice...

Your choices are all good ones.

Are YOU interested in seeing the Yukon? No point in considering it, if you aren't. You may want to take a closer look at the descriptions and trip reports of the transit. You can do this by rail road, or by road round trip.

Ketchikan- are you interested in seeing totems? Totem Bight needs a 3 hour allotment of time. You can print out and bring with you the totem guide. If unsure about the offerings take a look at a shore excursion list. available online.

Understood :) I was hoping someone had done the trip to Yukon and could provide feedback. I looked at the tour video and it did not seem too exciting however does take up 8 hours of your day.

Understood :) I was hoping someone had done the trip to Yukon and could provide feedback. I looked at the tour video and it did not seem too exciting however does take up 8 hours of your day.

We did a tour into the Yukon with Beyond Skagway. It was fun but it was not the most "exciting" tour we did by any means. The reason we did a private tour was because I didn't want to spend 8 hours on the "regular" tours because I wanted to fit it heli dog sledding. We went to Emerald Lake, did a few small side hikes, particiapted in a totem raising ceremony and saw really pretty scenery. I would book it again because we had the luxury of doing what we wanted and it wasn't 8 hours so we got the best of both worlds!

Also a lot of people like the train ride but we were on a cruise tour and had spent a lot of time on trains so we passed on that part. We did follow the train for part of the way and it is pretty scenery but we also saw a lot of that from the highway.

We are not too interested in the Mendenhall glacier as we will see lots of glaciers during our scenic cruise day in Glacier Bay. I think whale watching and the tramway should suffice...

And that will be a good choice if the fog doesn’t roll in and obstruct the view from the top of the tram. Otherwise it’s an expensive tram ride to look at fog. Coming up with some contingent plans works well in Alaska…

And that will be a good choice if the fog doesn’t roll in and obstruct the view from the top of the tram. Otherwise it’s an expensive tram ride to look at fog. Coming up with some contingent plans works well in Alaska…

That's a great idea! We figured we book the tram when we get there and not ahead of time so if it's a foggy day, we won't bother :)

TallinnGirl:

There is no need to pre-book the tramway. Folks just walk up, purchase a ticket and then get in line. The trams go up and down continuously. Also, the Alaska Tour Saver coupon book had a "buy one get one free" deal in 2011. There is another company which also does a coupon book. I've never purchased that book, so have no idea if they also offer such a deal but wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I also think that visiting Mendenhall Glacier is a very different experience than viewing a glacier from a cruise ship.

That's a great idea! We figured we book the tram when we get there and not ahead of time so if it's a foggy day, we won't bother :)

this is also, an all day ticket. So, if your ship is in late, be CERTAIN to ride up after dusk, very pretty nightime views of the cruise ships.

In Juneau I'd substitute a visit to the Mendenhall over the Mt Roberts tram (IMHO this is way overpriced) For Skagway I'd go for the combined train/bus trip. The extra scenery is well worth the extra time/cost

I have noticed that EVERYTHING in Alaska is way overpriced! I'm not sure why...I don't know if it's because the cruises are seasonal so they can make up for the lost time the rest of the year or some other reason, but I think $500 each for 3 ports on excursions is a bit ridiculous!

I have noticed that EVERYTHING in Alaska is way overpriced! I'm not sure why...I don't know if it's because the cruises are seasonal so they can make up for the lost time the rest of the year or some other reason, but I think $500 each for 3 ports on excursions is a bit ridiculous!

The cost of living is WAY more, shipping all supplies is a huge part of costs. Think about the distance involved in shipping ONE truckload of Walmart goods, multiply that thousands of time.

Housing is limited, seasonal help is very expensive etc etc etc

And no, the prices are NOT ridculous, in my opinion. There is no comparism to any touring selections. The cheap Caribbean- may be better suited for some, with budget concerns, if touring costs in Alaska are going to be something not accepted.

If you like to walk there are many opportunities in all the ports. Go to all the port websites and see what looks interesting to you. Check out the coupon books available to get good deals. There are activities available from very little cost to megabucks, from sit back and watch to high adventure. I look at the cost vs how excited I am at being able to participate.

The cost of living is WAY more, shipping all supplies is a huge part of costs. Think about the distance involved in shipping ONE truckload of Walmart goods, multiply that thousands of time.

Housing is limited, seasonal help is very expensive etc etc etc

And no, the prices are NOT ridculous, in my opinion. There is no comparism to any touring selections. The cheap Caribbean- may be better suited for some, with budget concerns, if touring costs in Alaska are going to be something not accepted.

Actually I am comparing the prices to Hawaii (we visited in November) and considering how remote these islands are (the most remote chain of islands in the world), the prices were still way cheaper!

In August,

we booked booked a private tour with Juneau Limousine. The kids thought it was cool.

The driver took us on a city tour, panning for gold, Menenhall glacier, we saw eagles, bears catching salmon, and some beautiful scenery.

It was very affordable.

Actually I am comparing the prices to Hawaii (we visited in November) and considering how remote these islands are (the most remote chain of islands in the world), the prices were still way cheaper!

The cruises round trip Hawaii, are hundreds more. I know, I go to both these destinations every year. I'l be three weeks in Hawaii in Feb. for trip #6. Hawaii is also a year round tour area. There aren't many people on this board who have done winter Alaska trips.

The tours are different- it is simple to do a ton of "drive up" touring in Hawaii. Alaska requires more difficult and time consuming transits.

Tram trip does not need to be booked in advance. It is right next to the ship and very easy to buy tickets and go up.

Not being a smarty pants but for us Europe was over the top expensive yet worth every cent. Sometimes you honestly get what you pay for. Alaska is an experience and that will not come cheap but the memories are priceless!!!!

Try to tweak a total excursion budget, work in your top must do's and then follow with second choice fill in's. I paid $460 for a 3hr whale watching tour for a family of four and it is to date my most talked about thrill of Alaska. I have also spent that to get in a Disney theme park and at the moment nothing about the day comes to mind. (maybe not the exact same amont but you get my jist)

Hope you have a great time with the big & small, cheap & extravagant,

Patty

I have noticed that EVERYTHING in Alaska is way overpriced!

Certainly not EVERYTHING in Alaska is overpriced. Lots of inexpensive and free things to do in Alaska. Plenty of 2-for-1 coupons for some popular excursions (whale watching, flight seeing, boat tours and more). If you like history, museums, or hiking, you can find excellent things in each port to do that is free or very inexpensive. Ranger-led programs at more than one port location are excellent and almost always free.

Lodging during a land tour can be quite inexpensive if one books in advance and does their homework. We just finished booking apartments with separate bedrooms and kitchen for our land tour next summer. Nothing more than $120/night for two people. Same with car rentals - planning and booking months in advance is usually hundreds of dollars cheaper than booking even 6 months in advance.

Not being a smarty pants but for us Europe was over the top expensive yet worth every cent. Sometimes you honestly get what you pay for. Alaska is an experience and that will not come cheap but the memories are priceless!!!!

Try to tweak a total excursion budget, work in your top must do's and then follow with second choice fill in's. I paid $460 for a 3hr whale watching tour for a family of four and it is to date my most talked about thrill of Alaska. I have also spent that to get in a Disney theme park and at the moment nothing about the day comes to mind. (maybe not the exact same amont but you get my jist)

Hope you have a great time with the big & small, cheap & extravagant,

Patty

I absolutely agree, most of the time you do get what you pay for. I am sure not everything in Alaska is expensive (I may have exaggerated a bit :) but certainly the trips we would like to do are quite expensive. So far with our travel experience, the prices for excursions in Alaska are the highest I have ever seen.

Archived