Entertainment?

ROOM MOM

I've never been on a Celebrity cruise, so can't compare to that. I can only describe what I've seen on RSSC. There's usually a troupe of 6-8 performers, usually young people starting out in show business. They'll do show tunes, popular tunes, etc. They are part of the Peter Terhune troupe, and quality can vary from people who are clearly future stars if they get the right breaks to mediocre. Interspersed with that are comedians and "headliners"--usually singers who were moderately successful and are not getting the big gigs anymore. Not big splashy stuff, but still entertaining enough. If the quality of the evening shows is important to you, this might not be the line for you. I cruise RSSC for the ports and for the quality of service and staff. The shows are just a nice little add-on.

The quality of the shows is just one part of the whole. I am looking towards this cruise line for this particular cruise primarily for the stop at St. Barts. My Mom has wanted to go to this island for a very long time. However, I would be bored at one island for a week and thus this cruise should be a good compromise. Also, my Mom would like for my teenage daughter to join us and I am looking for everything that will interest her. She is aware that there may not be another teen on board and she is willing to do this for her grandmother but since I know she likes the shows at night and the pool during the day I am hoping that there may be just enough to keep her satisfied.

Depending on your cruise there will be probably 3 production shows. Last year they did a show focused on Broadway muscials, one on Disco/Rock and Roll and a third one, I think Big Band. All very entertaining and not much different than I have seen on Celebrity or RCCL. They have has classical music, violin (A Gypsy Violinst), a Classical Violin, a comic/juggling act, a magician,a Sinatra style singer and of course, Kenny Smiles, who eveyone seems to love. All very good. I think your teenager would survive. If the staff is aware there is a young teen, they will try to find things to interest her.

We are going on the May 20th Mariner cruise out of Los Angeles to Alaska. I just happen to find some info about Theatre at Sea and a little what they may be planning for entertainment. I emailed them and I received an email that a newletter has been mailed but I have not received it as of today. Below are two messages that I received. I am really looking forward to their performances.

We really don't have much information. We have done 32 of these cruises, and the audienceses have loved the entertainment, but each year is different. Patricia Neal will give her lecture. She may do a play called Christmas Memory by Truman Capote, and she may not. Gena Rowlands will do Love Letters with Cliff Robertson.

Eartha Kity will do an evening of singing and talking. Ed Asner

may do a play called The Boys in Autumn. Lee Roy Reams will do two or three evening of Broadway musical numbers with our three featured actors and actresses, and we don't know what the two other stars will do, because we haven't signed them up yet. Right now we are going after Hal Linden and Christine Ebersole.

That's the news.

Sincerely, Philip Langner

THEATRE AT SEA

135 Central Park West

Suite 4S

New York, NY 10023

212-873-0676

theatreatsea@aol.com

Hello. We have just added Karen Mason - a great and famous cabaret singer. You can find her by typing her name into your computer

Room Mom,

I think you will enjoy the shows just fine. I was on the Mariner last Fall and they did 3 big production shows, interspersed with cabaret acts and comedians. The shows are fairly high quality and have a little bit of something for everyone. I am not sure which of the ships you are sailing on, but the Mariner had a Beatles tribute show, a Broadway-themed show (with bits from "Mamma Mia", "Fiddler on the Roof" and others) and a show called "Beyond Imagination" which was a melange of song & dance styles. They are not glitzy Vegas revues, but more like Broadway scaled-down. Also, depending on the length of your cruise and the time of year, there might be more younger travelers. A 7-day cruise, for instance, would more then likely have a few. Enjoy St.Barts and enjoy Radisson!

Michael

If you would enjoy a lovely lunch in an

elegant, pool and beachside restaurant while in

St Barts, taxi out to Hotel Guanahani. The

setting and cuisine are a plus. And I suspect that

your daughter could lounge on the beach.

Cruising on RSSC has always been a very positive experience for us except the entertainment. Now Kenny Smiles is wonderful, but after that you are never sure. RSSC does not put a lot into it. But I can understand why. Most of the time the place was half empty. It is so funny how early everyone seems to turn in aboard ship. (Including us).

Michelle,

I don't know for sure...but we have stayed there a few

times and always see 1 or 2 groups stroll in. The luncheon

spot is divine and the food pretty good.....your daughter

most likely could just slip onto the beach or into the pool.

If you wish more than that, ask the Concierge on the

ship or write an email to Guanahani. While some hotels

welcome guests, some definitely do not.

Archived