NCL Jem vs Jewell

anniebelles

I am looking at two NCL cruises the first week in April out of NY. The dates on the Jem are preferable (getting us back before Easter), but Gem seems to have better reviews. I am a little skeptical of NCL all together.

Thanks!

Annabelle

Sapphire Princess

RC Rhapsody of the Seas

Carnival Holiday

I am looking at two NCL cruises the first week in April out of NY. The dates on the Jem are preferable (getting us back before Easter), but Gem seems to have better reviews. I am a little skeptical of NCL all together.

Thanks!

Annabelle

Sapphire Princess

RC Rhapsody of the Seas

Carnival Holiday

Sorry, typo! The Jewell has the better dates...but deciding between Jewell & Gem. Thanks!

I don't know what to think about NCL dining. I would say one of our greatest (on ship) memories from all of our cruises has been the relationships with our fantastic dining staff. So, is there none of that on NCL with their anytime dining? doesn't sound nearly as relaxing and special.

I don't know what to think about NCL dining. I would say one of our greatest (on ship) memories from all of our cruises has been the relationships with our fantastic dining staff. So, is there none of that on NCL with their anytime dining? doesn't sound nearly as relaxing and special.

If you eat in the same dining room every night you will see some of the same servers, although you will not have the same table every night since you are seated in the order you arrive. I suppose you could probably ask to have a particular server's table - they're usually very accomodating. But with few exceptions, you won't get the waiter who knows what you drink and has it waiting for you when you arrive like you do on some cruise shiups. I notice the cocktail servers are pretty good at remembering what you drink.

It's a different style than scheduled dining; I'm sure you you'll make different on-ship memories just as enjoyable.

I've been on both the Jewel and the Gem. For me, kids isn't the issue, so I don't notice things like Nick. From my viewpoint, I'd be hard pressed to tell you the difference between both ships, they are very similar. I would choose based on itinerary and price, not ship.

We used to feel that way too. I do like not having to be ready at any specific time to eat. If I have a late lunch I may not even go to dinner, just grab a snack later. This way the waiters aren't waiting for us to show up and wonder where we are. I did really enjoy the assigned dining but as I get older things tend to change up a bit, like rushing to be somewhere at a certain time. Now I just "go with the flow". Try it, you may enjoy it.

If you eat in the same dining room every night you will see some of the same servers, although you will not have the same table every night since you are seated in the order you arrive. I suppose you could probably ask to have a particular server's table - they're usually very accomodating. But with few exceptions, you won't get the waiter who knows what you drink and has it waiting for you when you arrive like you do on some cruise shiups. I notice the cocktail servers are pretty good at remembering what you drink.

It's a different style than scheduled dining; I'm sure you you'll make different on-ship memories just as enjoyable.

I've been on both the Jewel and the Gem. For me, kids isn't the issue, so I don't notice things like Nick. From my viewpoint, I'd be hard pressed to tell you the difference between both ships, they are very similar. I would choose based on itinerary and price, not ship.

We have had no problems asking for a table in a certain server's section. The areas will rotate but the same team works that section. We had a lovely server in the Four Seasons dining room this past June on the Sun. Name is Mary Lane. She was wonderful and met her and her team on the first night. We subsequently asked for a table in her section if possible. There were times when she had several big parties but they opened up a table next to her section and she accommodated us.

i noticed that jewel is cheaper then gem in price wise.

Gem got the bowling alley with fees while Jewel don't have a bowling alley.

My friends said these two ships are similar in layout that there is no difference.

Between the Gem and Jewel, I'd guess that price differences are only due to itinerary and the market demand for a particular cruise date. They're in business to make a profit - they're going to charge the maximum that their computer models tell them they can get away with.

For most people, once you try Freestyle Cruising you will be hooked. There are all sorts of dining options with no time constraints. Also, the option of dressing up, or not, is nice when your on vacation. The Gem is a newer ship then the Jewel. However, they are both from the Jewel Class design so as most posters have indicated, that are very similar in nature. I have sailed aboard the Gem and she truly is a beautiful ship. Whichever ship you choose, I am sure you cannot go wrong as they are both part of the NCL fleet and the wonderful world of "Freestyle Cruising". :)

I booked a cruise on the Jewel with my daughter for the week after Thanksgiving and had the same trepidations that the OP mentioned. After cruising on almost every other line I was afraid that I would hate NCL and Freestyle cruising. I booked it hoping that it can't be that bad and if it is, it's only for a week. I have to say that I am now an NCL convert; we LOVED the Jewel and I will definitely book another Norwegian cruise. Freestyle is great and so relaxing. It was wonderful not to have to be in the dining room at the same time every night. We enjoyed dinner at the Azura dining room more than Tsar's Palace because it had more of a restaurant feel. My only complaint was the number of unruly children. The week we went was not a school vacation but yet there were still hundreds of school age children on the ship. I don't understand why parents feel that it is OK for their kids to miss a week of school for a completely uneducational vacation. Other than the obnoxious kids and their parents it was a wonderful cruise.

I don't understand why parents feel that it is OK for their kids to miss a week of school for a completely uneducational vacation.

Sorry, but could not just let this fly. Some of us feel it is educational as we make it educational, learning about the ports of call, bringing homework with them etc. Also some of us do not have the extra money to shell out & pay for cruises during school vacation times.

Archived