Sydney port question

zebra

The closest hotel in walking distance is the expensive Park Hyatt hotel. There is also another hotel overlooking where the ship docks also in walking distance called the Quay Grand Suites operated by Mirvac. I always stay at the Quay Grand and they are great. 5 star and has spa bath, kitchen, laundry in room. Other close hotels are Quay West, Intercontinental.

Jackie and Tony

The place where you will board your ship is the Sydney Overseas Passenger terminal - it is in the centre of Sydney City - immediately adjacent to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.

There are quite a few hotels in the immediate vicinity - look here on this Google map to see both the Cruise terminal and the nearby hotels

Barry

Our cruise ship the Oceania Regatta wil be docked at the Darling Habour Warf 8.We are staying 4 nights pre at the Park Hyatt middle of Feb.( IF THEY OPEN ON TIME). Is it far from the hotel?

Your Hotel is just a little over 1 klm to Wharf 8. See Google Map here

An easy flat walk - but with luggage, perhaps would require a short taxi ride. Considering that you are staying in Sydney for 4 days before the cruise - this hotel is, in my opinion, the most perfectly located hotel in Sydney.

Barry

We are in Sydney at the moment - visiting relatives for Christmas. Went into Sydney center today for a look around - and walked around your hotel. Certainly there are some major renovations going on!

Seeing as how we are now entering the "silly season" - a time when things do tend to come to a bit of a slowdown, I think I would be asking "what if" questions of whoever booked you into the hotel - like "What if it is not finished by February??"

Barry

Having also seen the Park Hyatt renos last week.....I am sceptical that their announcement yesterday of opening on 1 February 2012 and now taking bookings. I seriously believe it will only be a soft opening and there will still be major construction going on. Just my opinion.

Our cruise ship the Oceania Regatta wil be docked at the Darling Habour Warf 8.We are staying 4 nights pre at the Park Hyatt middle of Feb.( IF THEY OPEN ON TIME). Is it far from the hotel?

Probably the top hotel in Sydney but has been undergoing major redesign work- it was already top class. I would be looking at emergency bookings just in case. The Sebel Pier One (right on top of Pier number 1) is just around the corner on the Darling Harbour side of the bridge and is also very good and would shorten your walk by about 200 metres. Still has you within walking distance of The Rocks area and views of the Harbour and has many restaurants and the Sydney Theatre Company nearby. Is also on the hotel pickup list if you intend doing any day tours.

Keep asking if your still concerned.

My wife and I were in Sydney for a cruise last year and we stayed at the Rendezvous in the Rocks area. On the morning of the cruise, I pulled my luggage down to the ship. the walk was about 5-10 minutes. We dropped our luggage off and hung out at a local Starbucks until it was time to board the ship. The Rendezvous was nothing fancy, but it was nice and clean and close to the ferries, trains and busses.

Thanks for all the helpfull imfo. Just checked with Hyatt and now the opening is Feb 16th one day before we arrive.If they cancell my reservation I will ask them to book me into the Four seasons or the Shang ri La hotel.There are always taxis to get around town.

The Quay Grand suites are better than Park Hyatt in my opinion. Price wise they are cheaper, still 5 star with much larger rooms that have kitchens and bathrooms with spa baths and even an in room laundry.

This photo here was taken from a balcony at Quay Grand and you can just see the Park Hyatt behind the ship:

374907_10150412431199037_519959036_8547910_1343708663_n.jpg

Agreed all good hotels and locations, but Acrusa is leaving from Darling Harbour (will be Wharf 5 not 8 as it's pulled down)- not Circular Quay where the picture of ROTS is. The Park Hyatt can just be seen at the stern of the ship. Definitely a taxi trip from the Shangri-La or 4 Seasons or Quay Grand. Merry Christmasm for 2011.

We are in Sydney at the moment - visiting relatives for Christmas. Went into Sydney center today for a look around - and walked around your hotel. Certainly there are some major renovations going on!

Seeing as how we are now entering the "silly season" - a time when things do tend to come to a bit of a slowdown, I think I would be asking "what if" questions of whoever booked you into the hotel - like "What if it is not finished by February??"

Barry

Have 2 free nights and 2 nights of points, Thats why im booked into the hotel lol.

Thanks for showing me the map. Have you been by the hotel site? Does it look like they will open by Feb 1? Any news paper or magazine articles about the opening in the local media?

Thanks

I was in Sydney today and the work looks like it is coming along just fine so there is probably no need to stress about the reservation. If they arent open then you can only bet they will have arranged another equal hotel for you.

If you are looking for luxury the Shangrila in the Rocks district is about a 10 minute walk (downhill) to the OPT. It has spectacular views of Sydney Harbour and the most magnificent bar on the 35th floor (I think) with wall to ceiling windows that overlooks the Sydney Harbour Bridge and out over the Opera House. A truly magnificent view of Sydney.

Of course these views come at a price, so if you are looking just for accommodation and saving your money for the cruise, many of the previous suggestions would suffice.

Archived