70,000 Tons of Metal (music) cruise, 1/23/12

Pellaz

Anyone going? I'm still holding out some last-minute hope, even though I'm departing from the very same pier on a different ship the Monday after this cruise returns....

Last year's cruise on Majesty of the Seas -- which I missed :( -- was such a success that this year, all of the interior staterooms and many of the others were already sold out to last year's cruisers before sales started for the general public. The entire ship is rented for the event and the date does not show on RCI's website, so like most theme cruises you'll have to book through the promoter. A quick Google search will turn up the site.

FORTY metal bands, from varying genres, all playing two sets at different times, plus an itinerary that takes Majesty to different locales than her usual Key West/CocoCay/Nassau run. In 2011 the cruise went to Cozumel, and for 2012 they're going to Georgetown/Cayman Islands.

I was on this ship just a few months before this cruise and some of the crew were telling me they were looking forward to visiting a different port, and seeing a "different" -- VERY different -- clientele. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to go on this cruise - exactly my kind of music. However, with the price point and all the other cruises we do, its just not feasible. I think I liked last year's line-up a bit better. On CC, you'll find basically no mention of this cruise. I saw nothing on CC about the one from last year. My guess is the minute that you say something on level of "Pestilence is on board" most CC folks will assume that the ship has a bad case of noro.

LOL. It would be even worse if, say, Anthrax or Amoebic Dysentery were performing. :)

I love the varied line-up on this cruise...there's something for almost everyone except maybe prog-metal...and they're a bit light on black-metal also. Still, it's a diversity that helped their gamble pay off last year. I'm still kicking myself for hesitating last year, wondering if they'd be able to pull it off. (Also kinda wondering if the dress-code for formal night was relaxed in the MDR...I'm guessing it was. :) )

That's pretty much what I expected. Ironically, the last time I saw one of the bands on this cruise (Therion) perform, they did so in formal dress. :)

I'm curious as to which aspects of a normal cruise are retained for a whole-ship charter, and which are scrapped. I'm assuming the musicians who perform on the pool-deck are given a week off, as well as any show performers, comedians, etc.

Dining staff probably stay pretty much on schedule with two seatings and normal operations in the MDRs, except for an...odd-looking...clientele. :D

Good question..I have gone on 7 full charter smooth jazz cruises so I would venture the basics would apply in your case....you will receive cruise credit in the loyalty program...your cruise terminal check in process may be alittle different in respect that it may or may not reflect your elite status...your daily schedule that they place in your cabin will be very different then a normal cruise..the spa and speciality dining places will be the same as a normal cruise...the standard shore excursions will be there but there may be some additional excursions with some of the artists......the big difference is that there is no anytime dining options because your performance schedule is based upon your early/late dining seating..it will be 24/7 music so dont expect the normal cruise stuff..the guest relations desk will work in tandem with the promoter to resolve issues.....there will be very fee if any small kids and no scheduled childrens activities..

Most important everybody onboard is there for the music, so there is an incredible feeling of togetherness and harmony....once you have been on one of these music cruises, chances are you will never take a normal cruise again because you would be bored out of your mind...you dont mind paying more

Archived