Carnival Newb Needs Help

skid71

Good afternoon,

My wife and I enjoyed our first cruise in October. Now we have the bug.

We were in Port Everglades then. Now we are cruising from Port Canaveral in January.

1. Should we get a hotel near Orlando then shuttle to port?

2. Stay near port, and shuttle there from airport?

I guess depending on which answer, any suggestions on which hotel offers an affordable/free shuttle or an affordable, solid shuttle service?

Really appreciate any help on this.

Jeff

Good afternoon,

My wife and I enjoyed our first cruise in October. Now we have the bug.

We were in Port Everglades then. Now we are cruising from Port Canaveral in January.

1. Should we get a hotel near Orlando then shuttle to port?

2. Stay near port, and shuttle there from airport?

I guess depending on which answer, any suggestions on which hotel offers an affordable/free shuttle or an affordable, solid shuttle service?

Really appreciate any help on this.

Jeff

Personally, I always fly in the night before and stay at a hotel that offers airport shuttle and shuttle to and from the port.

For specifics on one port or another, there is lots of good info on the departure boards http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I have learned SO much from the departure boards on cities that I'm not familiar with. It helps to get info from people that are either from that city or have traveled there extensively.

Good luck and enjoy your next cruise!

ETA: When I sailed on Sensation from PC, we stayed at the Country Inn & Suites on Forbes Pl. in Orlando, and they had an airport shuttle.

For the shuttle to the port, we used TravelLynx who picked us up at the hotel at 10am (they had other times though) and took us to the port. They also picked us up at the end of the cruise and took us back to the airport. Sorry, I don't remember what we paid for the port shuttle, but you should be able to google them and get a link.

You dont say if you are flying or driving, which makes a difference. Late flight, arriving at 9 pm .. Id stay in Orlando... but usually I would prefer staying in Port Canveral.

Lots of shuttles or rent a car from Orlando on the Florida departures board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I would consider this port to be the 2nd most inconvient port to cruise out of if you have to fly in. .. just because of the distance from Orlando.

Personally, I always fly in the night before and stay at a hotel that offers airport shuttle and shuttle to and from the port.

For specifics on one port or another, there is lots of good info on the departure boards http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I have learned SO much from the departure boards on cities that I'm not familiar with. It helps to get info from people that are either from that city or have traveled there extensively.

Good luck and enjoy your next cruise!

Unless things have changed, there are no hotels that have both a airport and port shuttle .. much less free.

One or the other in the case of this port.

OP country inn and suites used to have a good cruise deal with a free shuttle for about $99.

Days Inn, cocoa beach is across from the public beach if you want beach, and their cruise package was also $99. There was a area shuttle that would take you to the port for $5 from cocoa beach, $4 from port canaveral hotels. OP you would still need to shuttle to the port area.

My apologies for not giving more info.

Four of us (mom is coming this time) flying in from Kansas City. Flight to arrive at about 7:50. We are flying in on the 21st, embarking on the 22nd on the Sensation.

We are really looking forward to it. Yeah, this port does seem to be very inconvenient.

Really appreciate the link for the departure boards.

Thanks!

Jeff

My apologies for not giving more info.

Four of us (mom is coming this time) flying in from Kansas City. Flight to arrive at about 7:50. We are flying in on the 21st, embarking on the 22nd on the Sensation.

We are really looking forward to it. Yeah, this port does seem to be very inconvenient.

Really appreciate the link for the departure boards.

Thanks!

Jeff

See my edit on above post... that might help. ;)

Edited post read and Thanks!

Um... can you fill me in on the Sensation?

Good foods?

Where did you go?

Any and all info when you have time is appreciated.

Jeff

I wrote a review on that trip... in my sig, but just in case you have them turned off, here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1279270.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer for you. It's been over a year since our trip, but I don't think much has changed other than staff and weather conditions... ;) and on those, I can't help out much... they are what they are! :) Anything specific though that you'd like an answer to, I'll be happy to try to help.

My wife and I took a nice cruise on Carnival Dream last January. We stayed at the Marriott on Cocoa Beach for 2 days prior to the cruise. They had a package that included transfers from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the port and the port to the airport. We were very pleased with the hotel, it's beach access, and the transfer service provided by the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was well located and only a fifteen to twenty minute drive to the port. Have a great time. P.S. we live in Columbia, Missouri Go Tigers!

My wife and I took a nice cruise on Carnival Dream last January. We stayed at the Marriott on Cocoa Beach for 2 days prior to the cruise. They had a package that included transfers from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the port and the port to the airport. We were very pleased with the hotel, it's beach access, and the transfer service provided by the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was well located and only a fifteen to twenty minute drive to the port. Have a great time. P.S. we live in Columbia, Missouri Go Tigers!

Thanks for the info! And yes, go Tigers! (my wife is a Jayhawk)

Boo... thanks for the review. Sad that your daughter isn't returning to cruising. This will be my mom's first cruise and she is REALLY looking forward to it.

I guess the only question I have is this... Can we disembark early? On Princess we were able to carry our own bags and got off the ship around 7:30. Our flight going back home is 11:50, but with the hour drive it could get a little dicey.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Hey Skid, you got the cruise bug huh?:p

While CC gives so much information be sure to double check. Things change a lot so what may have been correct 2-3 months ago is not always correct now...things do change. Like you this will be my first trip out of PC and while researching on CC I saw the consensus was that either fly in, rent a car, drive to hotel, and then arrange for a shuttle(either through hotel or on their own) or cruisers would drive their own car and use a "park-cruise" special at the hotel. While this may seem easy, for someone who has never been to Cocoa Beach that was somewhat daunting. Easy Breezy is what i like to do. So I thought to myself....something HAS TO be easier. More expensive? Hmm..depends on the number of travelers. Well what my family decided to do(3) is to stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Cocoa Beach. For $209 includes shuttle from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport, and hotel stay. Seems like a lot but when i added up the cost of rental car ($40-80 ONE WAY) then you have to deal with gas and then returning the car, plus the cost of the hotel....well you get the picture. Who wants to deal with that on vacation?!:eek::rolleyes: Not me! But it all depends on how many are in your party..the hotel cost included for 2 btw and the 3rd person was $45.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Kristy:)

Hey Skid, you got the cruise bug huh?:p

While CC gives so much information be sure to double check. Things change a lot so what may have been correct 2-3 months ago is not always correct now...things do change. Like you this will be my first trip out of PC and while researching on CC I saw the consensus was that either fly in, rent a car, drive to hotel, and then arrange for a shuttle(either through hotel or on their own) or cruisers would drive their own car and use a "park-cruise" special at the hotel. While this may seem easy, for someone who has never been to Cocoa Beach that was somewhat daunting. Easy Breezy is what i like to do. So I thought to myself....something HAS TO be easier. More expensive? Hmm..depends on the number of travelers. Well what my family decided to do(3) is to stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Cocoa Beach. For $209 includes shuttle from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport, and hotel stay. Seems like a lot but when i added up the cost of rental car ($40-80 ONE WAY) then you have to deal with gas and then returning the car, plus the cost of the hotel....well you get the picture. Who wants to deal with that on vacation?!:eek::rolleyes: Not me! But it all depends on how many are in your party..the hotel cost included for 2 btw and the 3rd person was $45.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Kristy:)

Oh yeah, we've got the bug for sure.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. That seems to be a much better way to go. There will be four of us total, but I'm sure each hotel will offer some type of all-in-one deal. We just need to find a Hilton property... because of the points.

Thanks again for sharing!

Skid

Boo... thanks for the review. Sad that your daughter isn't returning to cruising. This will be my mom's first cruise and she is REALLY looking forward to it.

I guess the only question I have is this... Can we disembark early? On Princess we were able to carry our own bags and got off the ship around 7:30. Our flight going back home is 11:50, but with the hour drive it could get a little dicey.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Thank you! I think I may sway her in short order... she's really "hinting" about tagging along on my Fascination cruise in Feb... hasn't said it just yet, but when I asked her and her BF to come look in on the puppies, she stammered and stuttered and looked at BF with kind of half smile... I feel certain she's going to ask to come with, which will be great! Just hope the BF can cover puppy duty! :D

I know you can do self-assist and get off the ship first. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember that we weren't in any hurry to debark, so the early thing didn't register with me. Also, once you get your "zone tags", if you have an early flight and feel that zone won't get you there in enough time, just go down to guest services with your zone tags and ask for a lower number. Just be prepared with your flight info/times and they will more than likely accommodate you with a lower zone tag. I've done that twice, and they were very helpful getting me off the ship early... TOO early for me, but hey, be careful what you ask for, right? ;)

Hope you have a great trip, and if there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask!

PS: Forgive any typos --- working on a Netbook this afternoon - NOT the best way to roll!! :o

I have always taken the REDEYE when flying LAX to Orlando to cruise out of Port Canaveral (the GLORY both times, I think). Land around 6:00-6:30, Get luggage and something to eat by 8:00 and catch Carnival's shuttle to the port around 9:00-9:30. I thought it all went so smoothly. Beautiful drive, too. It seems the cost then was $30 each way, probably more today.:)

On the ship I did talk to families or groups that were way ahead to rent a car at the airport and just drive to the Cape and turn it in for much less. Depends how many in your group I guess. :)

We booked the Marriot Orlando for $53 (including tax) we plan to rent a car in the morning and make the drive to the port. Booked it through priceline for end of January. We have a really late flight and won't be in until almost midnight. I've already spoken to them and they said to call once we land and they will send a shuttle to get us.

Archived