iPad finally worked well on the ship

Sandy R

This is good news to me, I just got a new iPad. Looking forward to using it on the ship. I'm afraid that I won't need my Sony Reader anymore. I do have a lot to learn about the IPad though. I'll keep reading here and learn. Alice

Love the iPad but suggest you take your Sony reader too. The iPad is no good to read with out doors on deck. Especially when sunny. You could get audio books.

Used both the IPad and my reader on our last two cruises.

Hope this helps

I brought my IPad and only bought the 100 minute package. It seemed that every time I longed in, after about 30 seconds, I got kicked off. So I started composing a review of our days on the notes page and copying and pasting that on FB. I managed to stay connected long enough to do that. The missives were rather dry, but at least my family knew all was well. My DH would text but eventually I lost my signal in a couple of places for that. So FB was very useful for this trip. I waited until I got home to respond to comments.

Those people cruising on the Emerald with Apple devices will find a HUGE difference in service compared to last year. We noticed it immediately when we first logged on. Then, on a turnaround day, the internet company in Florida updated the system, and we were unable to log on at all for about 5 days. That was pretty bad, but they finally did a work around for Apple users. Then, on the next turnaround day, they did another upgrade and fixed the issue once and for all.

I complained loudly on this board last year about how bad the Emerald Internet was, and many on this board said, "well, it's wifi off a satellite, what do you expect". It wasn't a slowness issue (yes, that was there, but it's to be expected). It was an issue with being unable to log on due to the high number of users. It appears that that issue has been resolved. We have gotten bumped off for perceived inactivity, but, except for those five days, have always been able to log on.

I think their ISP (MTN?) has finally got it right. Which makes our CC internet benefit suddenly more valuable.

Archived