How About A Surcharge For Multiple Portions......

nycruise

[quote name='groo']Will have to check it out. we look forward to trying more Carnival ships in the future. This year both cruises are on NCL.

NCL has a stir fry on most ships as well as the Blue Lagoon which serves soups, sandwiches, fish and chips, wings, etc. We love these options when coming back on board after an excursion when the MDR and buffet are changing over.[/quote]

[B][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma]There is a deli, a Wok, a Tandoori, the pasta bar, burrito bar, buffet, "grill", ice cream, pizza, 2 main dining rooms, specialty steak house, sushi, bbq on the lanai and a coffee bar that serves a la carte pastries, cake & scoopable ice cream. The Dream was pretty awesome. I loved the colors. The inside had some neon colors, but the main color was gold. It was pretty. :D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I don't understand where some people get their attitude from. In so many threads someone is being completely rude to others because they disagree with their opinion. It's an opinion, everyone has one. If you don't like one person's it doesn't give you the right to be mean.

As far as the "Americans" needing only one portion because apparently, we're huge, how about you worry about yourself? It's people like you that cause problems on these threads when people are simply here to talk about the topic.

I think charging extra is a silly idea and it seems Carnival agrees :) JH said what's next, charge you for TP? :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I think charging extra is a silly idea and it seems Carnival agrees :) JH said what's next, charge you for TP? :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

This thread wasn't about charging for dining room food, it was about charging for 2nds, and 3rds and 4ths, :D

You notice how JH always injects bathroom humor, I guess some find that funny.:rolleyes:

[quote name='nycruise']This thread wasn't about charging for dining room food, it was about charging for 2nds, and 3rds and 4ths, :D

You notice how JH always injects bathroom humor, I guess some find that funny.:rolleyes:[/quote]
[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
I don't believe I said they were charging for the first dish :rolleyes:
By the way, I find John Heald to be funny. If you can't laugh at simple things what can you laugh at?

Thanks for playing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] :rolleyes:

You can still have a great cruise if you only eat one entree!:rolleyes:
Speak for yourself.

Some people eat to live, I live to eat. Gluttony, my *second* favorite of the Seven Deadly.

IMO this would make dining in the MDR a nightmare. Based on the last few cruises, it seems there are less waitstaff per area. Now imagine if on top of taking orders, delivering food/drink, they had to worry bout ringing up extra portions on your S&S, getting everyone to sign for it, etc. Dinner would become an all night event.

What makes a cruise attractive is the "all inclusive" feature. Yes Food is part of that. Its a matter of supply and demand you can charge whatever you want until people stop filling your ships. The #1 profit area is drinks. But if a ship is not at least 98.5 percent sold it is very difficult to turn a profit. (Carnival Lines)

I have sailed on NCL and enjoyed their multiple dining choices but I like carnival better for the value, entertainment factor. It is cheaper to sail NCL but for me not better. If you start charging more for multiple entrees whats next, hand stamps at the buffet? Perhaps room service fees? Charge to watch shows? Then perhaps a better value can be found somewhere else.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Wasn't there a cruise line in Europe, I think Easy cruise??? which charged everything a la carte? From what DH tells, me they failed!

of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)

Nicely done troll post, congrats. ;)

How about just raising the cruise price back to $100 per day/per person like it was 20 years ago. That way all these crap rumors could just go away.

OK by me if I could pay that and the solo rate came back.

Does this mean we go back to the pay restaurant being $10 again, and its a 7 course meal served with white gloves?

How about just raising the cruise price back to $100 per day/per person like it was 20 years ago. That way all these crap rumors could just go away.

While we're at it how about also going back to a 2,000 passenger ship! The only reason the prices are going down is because they are stuffing 4,000 sardines in a can and providing an ever more inferior product as it relates to food, service, entertainment and everything else.:rolleyes:

By the way, other than inside cabins who's paying less than $100 a day?:confused:

Well, if they are going to charge for seconds in the mdr I guess they would need to charge for second helpings in the buffet too. :(

Maybe they should also charge more if you take 2 showers a day instead of just one.:rolleyes:

And definitely charge more if you require another roll of bath tissue! :eek:

As I said earlier, this is classic case of the balance between user fees and blanket charges. I think maybe a somewhat "fair" way to handle the situation would be to allow a certain number of entrees for free. Not necessarily unlimited, but more than what the vast majority of cruisers would eat. And then maybe charge a fee after that. The vast majority of cruisers would still not have to pay any surcharge, but the average cruiser wouldn't have to subsidize the person who eats 20 entrees.

As to debates as to whether or not cruising is an all-inclusive vacation: cruising can be an all-inclusive vacation if you want to. You can, if you want to, go on a cruise, and not do any shore excursions, not drink any alcoholic beverages, not go to specialty restaurants, not go to the spa, etc. Most people will want to do some or all of those things, so for most people, cruising is not completely all-inclusive, but it can be if you want it to be. I think cruises do have a good balance between user fees (charging you for everything) and blanket charges (all-inclusive). They do not expect the average cruiser to subsidize someone else's cabana at Half Moon Cay, but they also don't nickle and dime you for everything you do or eat. The cruise fare includes the activities, services, and products that most cruisers are going to use, while not including some of the less commonly used items.

I am one who has "ordered" multiple main dishes and appitizers before. Not by choice but had a hard time making up my mind and our waiter brought me one of each. Like Firefly, if I did not get enough there is always the buffet or the pizza.

Some are putting far too much thought in to this. Simply put - things are working as perfectly as they can be right now. Ships sail full. Carnival is making a healthy profit. Changes like some are suggesting would frustrate many...ships would sail with empty cabins...profits would decline. When things are going well for a company, complicating things by adding fees and frustrating loyal customers is not a smart move and the armchair executives on this thread shouldn't quit their day job just yet. ;)

I am one who has "ordered" multiple main dishes and appitizers before. Not by choice but had a hard time making up my mind and our waiter brought me one of each. Like Firefly, if I did not get enough there is always the buffet or the pizza.

Maybe what they need is an option for smaller-sized entrees for someone who wants to try multiple entrees but doesn't want twice as much food.

Maybe what they need is an option for smaller-sized entrees for someone who wants to try multiple entrees but doesn't want twice as much food.

I would enjoy that as well!!!

One time the waiter we had on our last cruise (he was truly a very good waiter) insisted we try a 'little' of the shrimp dish that night.

I said, "A little??"

he said "Yes. A little"

When he came back to the table, all the small portions he promised the 6 of us turned out to be full dinners....it was such a waste and it pains me to throw out food but we all just couldn't eat it...

small portion options would be amazing but I imagine it would totally throw things off in the kitchen.

I would enjoy that as well!!!

One time the waiter we had on our last cruise (he was truly a very good waiter) insisted we try a 'little' of the shrimp dish that night.

I said, "A little??"

he said "Yes. A little"

When he came back to the table, all the small portions he promised the 6 of us turned out to be full dinners....it was such a waste and it pains me to throw out food but we all just couldn't eat it...

small portion options would be amazing but I imagine it would totally throw things off in the kitchen.

That is a pet peeve of mine. If I am at a self-service buffet, I tend to take a small quantity of just about every item that I like. But if I am at a buffet where someone serves you (or even when I was at the dining hall when I was in college), they tend to always give you a full-sized portion, as if it was the only thing you are ordering. And sometimes, I find that they get offended if you ask for a smaller portion. I have never asked for a smaller portion or for multiple portions at the MDR of a cruise ship, but I would assume the experience to be the same, as what you mentioned.

While we're at it how about also going back to a 2,000 passenger ship! The only reason the prices are going down is because they are stuffing 4,000 sardines in a can and providing an ever more inferior product as it relates to food, service, entertainment and everything else.:rolleyes:

By the way, other than inside cabins who's paying less than $100 a day?:confused:

DH and are only paying about $88 a day for a balcony on a seven day cruise and that is including taxes. :D

Archived