Tipping in Buenos Aires and Santiago

mort&fran

Look at your restaurant tab to see if the 10% has already been included. I'm in Brazil and it usually is, but not always. Re cabs, I don't usually tip, and have even had cab drivers round the fare down if they don't have exact change (a constant problem), but if the service has been good or I've just felt generous (Christmas spirit, etc.), I do. Even if it's not expected it's appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for the info.

Will US dollars be appreciated more or less than local currency?

Here are some other edited cut / paste jobs that might help you especially in Argentina/Bs As.

1. If arriving at the international airport, EZE, then the Banco de la Nacion branch located near the exit from the secure customs area is a good place to buy pesos. There and at any ATM. Avoid the other airport exchange services like the plague. It may not be savvy to buy all the pesos you think you will need all at once upon arrival. Cabbies, small shops and restaurants can not be expected to accept dollars, but merchants selling larger ticket items and some upscale restaurants (especially those patronized by tourists) will give a generous rate of exchange when paying with dollars, better than you would get using an ATM.

For example, the maximum amount one can withdraw at one time in an ATM is AR 1000 pesos (unless you are a Citibank ATM cardholder and use the Citibank ATMs). Taking into account the ubiquitous 17 peso fee charged by the AR bank network you will get about 4.22 pesos per dollar at today's official rate of exchange on the max withdrawl of 1000 (less than 4.22 if you withdraw fewer pesos). The rate will be decreased further if your own bank charges a separate currency conversion or foreign ATM use fee.

A store selling you a leather jacket, bag or pair of shoes may offer you as much as 4.5 for each dollar. Often stores will post a sign in the window advertising how much they will give for a dollar. If not, ask when contemplating a purchase. Moreover, it is quite common to get a discount even for paying in pesos/cash so ask about a peso cash discount , too.

In late Oct new laws were enacted that have given rise to a black market in dollars. Today the black market rate is about 4.65. If and when that differential grows (as expected) there will be a lot more activity by travel agencies, casas de cambio, and select merchants to engage in dollar trading. Nowadays, if you plan to pay large ticket purchases with dollars you won't need to worry about securing a black market rate. Just get pesos for cabs, small shops and purchases for which you can't use your plastic, but bear in mind that the 17 peso fee applies for every ATM transaction regardless of amount. Also bear in mind that the use of most plastic carries with it a currency conversion fee of up to 3 %.

2. Below is a citation to and relevant text of the law making contract clauses requiring payment of apts in dollars or other foreign currency void and null ( the rest of the contract is unaffected). Basically it says that the contract price for a rental contract must be in legal tender and legal tender in AR is AR pesos only. This law was enacted after AR went off dollarization (dollar = 1 peso) back around 2001. Temp apt rental agencies should be able to confirm this if asked.

Knowng that it is illegal to enforce a contract that provides for payment in foreign currency will assist all tourists to more effectively negotiate temporary apt rentals. Insisting upon being able to pay in legal tender will eliminate the need to carry large amounts of cash (dollars), never a safe practice especially for a tourist.

Ley 23.091.

Art. 1º Instrumentación.

Los contratos de locaciones urbanas, ....deberán formalizarse por escrito.

En todos los supuestos, los alquileres se establecerán en moneda de curso legal al momento de concretarse. Será nula, sin perjuicio de la validez del contrato, la cláusula por la cual se convenga el pago en moneda que no tenga curso legal. En este caso, el precio quedará sujeto a la determinación judicial.

Thanks to all of you for the info.

Will US dollars be appreciated more or less than local currency?

Sorry that I was not specific when I posted this question. I meant to ask if US dollars or local currency would be more appreciated - FOR TIPS, specifically in BA and Santiago?

Sorry that I was not specific when I posted this question. I meant to ask if US dollars or local currency would be more appreciated - FOR TIPS, specifically in BA and Santiago?

Small tips should be in the local currency. Even when there is a black market for dollars the amounts don't justify the hassle a server might incur changing a small amount. Foreign coins are a definite no-no.

Be aware that in BA, most fine (and some lesser) restaurants charge a "cubierto", i.e., a small cover charge, either per table or per person. Its to cover the establishment's costs related to the tablecloth, silverware, etc. Sometimes its listed in small print on the menu, other times its not. That may be one reason why tipping is not the norm in BA (unless you receive excellent service and even then the maximum is 10%), whereas in the U.S. the norm for tipping is 15-20%.

Archived