Salmon Fishing..Kenai or Ketchikan?

Snowshooz

Hi All...

We will be in Alaska July 2-15 this year. We are trying to research and book our excursions now.

We will have 1 full day/night in Kenai and also will have a day in Ketchikan (among other ports) . My question is >>> Which place shall we fish for salmon from? Kenai or Ketchikan??

If we don't fish from Kenai, are there any areas you could recommend to hike to? We are also avid hikers!

Thanks!

Snowshooz :cool:

Hi All...

We will be in Alaska July 2-15 this year. We are trying to research and book our excursions now.

We will have 1 full day/night in Kenai and also will have a day in Ketchikan (among other ports) . My question is >>> Which place shall we fish for salmon from? Kenai or Ketchikan??

If we don't fish from Kenai, are there any areas you could recommend to hike to? We are also avid hikers!

Thanks!

Snowshooz :cool:

The Kenai is great for fishing, but it take more time for traveling. Ketchikan fishing is always good and in calm waters, even for halibut. True Alaska Charters offers a personalized 4-6 hour trip to do whatever you want to do. They only charge $120/pp for 2, and $100/pp for 4. Communicate with Bruce and tell him Hellen recommended you. He will take great care of you. :)

Do you mean Seward??? The city of Kenai is on the Cook Inlet??? Both areas have good fishing. Go where you have the most time. Seward has the gem of Kenai Fjords boat tours and Ketchikan excellent Misty Fjords flightseeing. Tough choices indeed.

I'd like to see the salmon jumping upstream in the river but really don't want a fishing tour. Is there a place to do this in Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan thats close to the cruise ships? or an "inexpensive" :rolleyes: excursion? We will be going in late July!

THanks!

Jacquelyn :D

I just signed up with Northern Light Charters to go salmon fishing with Ken in Ketchikan on June 30th (there will be four in our party). He is wonderful! He is very friendly and we cannot wait to meet him. His wife is picking us up at the pier and he will taking us out. His prices are great as well. His phone numner is 1 888 550-8488. Here is his website: http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/. I would definitely recommend Ken!!

There are few places where the salmon "jump" upstream in SE Alaska - you're probably thinking of the falls at Katmai. There is good salmon viewing at the hatchery in Juneau which provides a glass enclosure where you can watch the salmon swim by. They also do a tour and have a nice gift shop with salmon tasting. They are a couple of blocks from downtown Juneau. There's a creek in Skagway, also near the docks, where the salmon come in to spawn. At lower tides they will jump, trying to get into the stream from the ocean.

We just signed up with "Northern Light Charters" . Any other feedback on this company? There boat sounds good (bathroom!!) If we are back by noon...and the boat leaves at 2:30....is there honestly any time to see anything in town? And what would the choice of "to see" be??

HCF - is it Alaska True Value Charters? I am trying to find their website, want to make sure I have the right one.

Thanks.

The wesite is: truealaskancharters.com

The e-mail address is: admin@truealaskancharters.com

It is owned by Bruce Johnstone and his wife.

I have signed up with him to go fishing AND crabbing, and sightseeing on the way. Can't wait!

:)

My family has gone with Northern Lights several times, just excellent vender. As for salmon viewing- plenty of inside passage areas with August a given for viewing, Creek St. in Ketchikan, the hatchery in Juneau is just excellent with their full viewing fish ladder, even in Skagway you can hear them under the culverts walking in town. But there is a creek you will pass walking into to town for viewing.

We went with Ken in 2001 and we are going again with him in June this year - ironically it's the same day we fished with him in 2001. The boat is small but holds 4 people well. It's nice to have the "bathroom/head" and the water was calm.

Hoping to catch a few salmon this time too.

Kathy

It depends what kind of salmon you want. July in the Kenai is peak for Kings and it is an other wordly experience known as "combat fishing" because there will be so many serious fishermen there standing literally next to each other in the water. There isn't a better place on earth to fish for salmon than the Kenai in July. But you'll be crowded by pros. Yuo can also fish silvers and they are as good, just not as in demand in July.

If you opt for the Kenai think about Soldatna or Sterling area and take a guide. We like the folks at Fish Alaska, but we have been with RW's, too. Fine, just not as friendly.

Archived