Maasdam review 12/12 to 12/23

cruizn2escape

We arrive in FLL on 12/10, made a trip to Total Wine and the to our hotel.

Just relaxed and shopped a little before the 12/12 sailing.

Arrived at the port a little before 11 a.m., doors opened at 11 and we had to wait until about 11:30 when they began the boarding process.

We were on the ship at 11:45 and went to the MDR for lunch (since we are Mariners). This was a nice way to start the cruise - not the crowds on the Lido. However, this is where I lost or had my camera stolen. When we left the dining room, I didn't pick up my camera and about 10 minutes later went back and it was gone...never turned in.

I was unhappy that I forgot it and was upset for a while...then realized it was just a camera...

We had open dining and from our experiences, I would not recommend it. I know other people have no problems, but ours was not one of them. We wanted a table for 2 which was a part of the problem. The first night we got a table for 4 which was okay. When I called for reservations for the next day I was told I could get a table for 2 at 5:30 and that I could reserve that table for the next 3 days so I said yes I would like to do that. I did not receive a reservation card the second day so called to confirm - there was no reservation listed for us...the best they could do was a 8 p.m. setting. And I was told you could only reserve one day at at time. Each morning I would call about 7 a.m. and was told there were no tables for 2...we gave up after a day and ate almost all the rest of the meals in the Lido - which we found the food to be as good as the dining room and the service and staff were much better the our experiences in the MDR. The service in the MDR was slow and inattentive. Again this maybe because we had open dining.

The ship had a lot of motion and we ended up taking some sea sick medicine something we have never had to do. The seas were pretty rough at times.

As for the ports, we had been to most of them before so didn't do a lot. One we hadn't been to was St. Vincent...we took the cruise ship sponsored Garden Tour. Went to 2 different gardens. Both gardens were nice but there was quite a bit of walking uphill in the first garden which was mostly different trees. The 2nd garden was beautiful - again quite a bit of walking and steps but it was well worth it. The trip to the garden and in between the gardens was long and bumpy - roads are not mainatined well...HAL could do a better job describing the tour...mentioning the hour or so bus ride would be helpful.

In St. Lucia we hired a taxi to take us around and show us the island - it was well worth the money and it was just the 2 of us so we got a lot of personal attention and the driver took us whereever we wanted I must quit for now and get Christmas dinner ready - back later

Thanks for your review.

Sorry the motion of the ocean bothered you. Sometimes that happens and no one to blame but mother nature.

Happy you seem to have enjoyed your tours and the islands.

Happy Holidays.

There were 6 ships in port in St. Martin so there were a lot of people shopping but we still enjoyed the time there even though we had been there before. Did a little jewelry shopping and spent a little time on the beach.

The last 2 days of our cruise were spent at sea...which was quite relaxing.

The crew of the ship was continually cleaning the ship and the ship was in good shape. There were a few Christmas decorations throughout the ship.

Overall, I had a nice time but I think I prefer a slightly larger ship like the Westerdam.

Archived