Vancouver Hotel Help

Mare10

I agree, when you are a party of three Priceline and Hotwire don't work that well. With you arriving by rail, you could catch SkyTrain which across the street from Amtrak, go to Waterfront Station where you would transfer to the Canada Line and go out to Richmond and airport area. Now you could to that for $3.75 each way, it's just that you are going to be schlepping luggage and spending 35 or 40 mins commuting each way. As for getting to Stanley Park, they could take the Canada Line into Waterfront Station and then transfer to #019 bus. However that is only going to take them into the park, at a 1,000 acres there is a lot of walking to be done after that.

Coming back to downtown hotel vs. Richmond Hotel, have you looked into some hotels like the Georgian Court, the Rosedale, the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia or the Blue Horizon? Some of these right now are available through Hotels.ca at or about $150/n

Thanks for all of the great info. I believe we will use the transit options you suggested if we stay out by the airport.

For my friends, The Blue Horizon and the Rosedale both cost around $175 per night for three people. (I was excited the Rosedale showed up at $149, but when I went to book it, it added $25 for the third person.)

I know you frequently have recommended the Blue Horizon, but if you had to choose between the Blue Horizon and the Rosedale for people who had never been to Vancouver, who wanted to be close to public transportation and to see the sites, which would you recommend?

This may be a little off topic, but I recall when we took the trolley to Stanley Park that there was a free trolley that went around the park that we used to make our way through the park during the day we spent there. Is that no longer available?

The free trolley hasn't operated for a couple of years - a victim of budget cuts but there is a pay hop on hop off shuttle that runs instead.

As for the hotel choice it is probably a pick em - PD will probably be along later with his thoughts on that.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I know you frequently have recommended the Blue Horizon, but if you had to choose between the Blue Horizon and the Rosedale for people who had never been to Vancouver, who wanted to be close to public transportation and to see the sites, which would you recommend?

This may be a little off topic, but I recall when we took the trolley to Stanley Park that there was a free trolley that went around the park that we used to make our way through the park during the day we spent there. Is that no longer available?

I have no problem with either property, the BH is in the heart of the Robson St. shopping and restaurant scene, the Rosedale is a little east of the action, has a decent pub style restaurant as well a Starbucks close by. You may care for the Rosedale as it tends to be more suite in nature but you can't go wrong with either property.

As Ut has correctly pointed out, unfortunately the free shuttle around the Park is now a thing of the past. Vancouver Trolley does offer a shuttle around the park which makes 15 stops in the park and costs $10 which is about as good as gets these days.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/buy-tickets.

PD, Thanks so much for all of your advice. I spent the afternoon with my friends, and we all ended up booking the BH right in the heart of things(them - 2 nights, us - 1 night). It will be nice to stay at the same hotel as them, and go to the ship together.

I actually was able to save $25 on our room for 3 by booking it through Amtrak (since we're taking the train: who would have guessed?), so that was another plus. They are so excited about staying in a nicer hotel at a reasonable price. I am so relieved that we finally got that taken care of. :) Maybe you'll have to stop by so we can buy you a drink when we're there!

UT, I am bummed about the free trolley being gone, but $10 is still reasonable. Thanks for letting me know. I haven't been to Vancouver since 2009, so I guess there were bound to be some changes.

I am happy that the decison has been made and I am sure you will be very happy with it. I have retired to a small sea side town about an hour up the coast after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge so it is not likely I will come into the city for the drink but thanks all the same...however, if you look off to starboard you may just see me with a drink in my hand and raised in your honour.

Have a great visit and a wonderful cruise.:)

Okay. But thanks again to you PD! I don't think I would know half of the information that you do about any big city and its hotels near where I live.

I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to this board. (I also used some information about limo services that you shared for my last AK cruise in 2009, but we won't need them this time since we are staying so close to Canada Place. :))

You really know Vancouver, and many of us on this board appreciate the time you spend sharing your knowledge.

Could one of you who is familiar with the area comment on the safety and convenience of the location of the Hampton Inn on Robson Street. Thanks.

It's a fine location, basically across the street from the football stadium. Head up Robson street for a lot of inexpensive food options. I'll snap a photo of the street tomorrow if you want, as I'll be heading right past it.

just use my points stay @ Sandman Signature on 1160 Davie St. 2 nights post cruise. is it a good location? and hows this hotel?

thank you

I haven't stayed at the Sandman on Davie Street, but it gets pretty good reviews and it sounds like they've updated within the past year or two. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154943-d183645-Reviews-Sandman_Suites_Vancouver_on_Davie-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

The location is good imo. Lots of shops/ restaurants on Davie street and you can walk to Beach Ave. and take the Aqua Bus over to Granville Island.

Downtown Vancouver is pretty compact and you can get around easily.

Which is a better place?

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Downtown Vancouver

or

Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver

we have

5 adults - one of them diabled with a scooter

4 children - 15, 13, 11, & 10

needing to get 3 rooms for 2/3 days before cruise

Celebrity N/B Millinneum June 1

both are nearly the same cost.... any other suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!!

Which is a better place?

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Downtown Vancouver

or

Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver

we have

5 adults - one of them diabled with a scooter

4 children - 15, 13, 11, & 10

needing to get 3 rooms for 2/3 days before cruise

Celebrity N/B Millinneum June 1

both are nearly the same cost.... any other suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!!

The 2 Ramada's downtown are going to be pretty noisy. Out of the 3 hotels you mention, I would choose the Hampton Inn, however there is construction going on in the immediate area (according to their website), but I am not sure when it's scheduled to be finished. The Hampton Inn is a few blocks away from the downtown core.

There's also The Best Western Plus Sands on Davie Street which is close to the beach. The rate was about $160 per night . Lot's of shopping/ restaurants in the area.

This thread has great information! I am traveling solo, flying into Vancouver the afternoon before the cruise. Want to stay downtown, thinking in the Robson St area for shopping, etc. I had pretty much decided on staying at the Listel, now thinking I should stay at the Blue Horizon. Is one location better than the other? Could I walk from either to Canada Place for the cruise? Hmm....decisions, decisions!

thanks, Carol

Distance wise the hotels are across the street from each other - Listel is the more upscale of the two and yes as long as you are sailing from Canada Place you can walk to the ship - downhill and about six blocks.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your Vancouver visit.

Cheers

Dennis

This thread has great information! I am traveling solo, flying into Vancouver the afternoon before the cruise. Want to stay downtown, thinking in the Robson St area for shopping, etc. I had pretty much decided on staying at the Listel, now thinking I should stay at the Blue Horizon. Is one location better than the other? Could I walk from either to Canada Place for the cruise? Hmm....decisions, decisions!

thanks, Carol

If you can get a decent rate at The Listel, book it. I plugged in the date June 1/12; Blue Horizon $159 and The Listel $176. As Urban Trekker said, both hotels are within 1/2 block of each other. The area is safe and you will LOVE the shopping. :)

If you can get a decent rate at The Listel, book it. I plugged in the date June 1/12; Blue Horizon $159 and The Listel $176. As Urban Trekker said, both hotels are within 1/2 block of each other. The area is safe and you will LOVE the shopping. :)
I agree. The Listel is wonderful. We have stayed there twice, but for the last couple of years, their prices have been way too high. The price you mentioned is great.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear the positive reports on the Downtown Hampton Inn. Does anyone know if they have a free (or low cost) shuttle to/from the Amtrak station and/or the cruise pier? If not, how much can we expect to spend on taxis?

They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal (Canada Place) but you will need a cab from Amtrak to the hotel...about a $10 fare. You could take SkyTrain from the its station across the street from Amtrak to the Stadium Station and then walk the 2.5 blocks to the hotel...cost $2.50 pp (CDN funds only), although you can use a credit card and most ATM cards.

They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal (Canada Place) but you will need a cab from Amtrak to the hotel...about a $10 fare. You could take SkyTrain from the its station across the street from Amtrak to the Stadium Station and then walk the 2.5 blocks to the hotel...cost $2.50 pp (CDN funds only), although you can use a credit card and most ATM cards.

Thanks for the info -- think we'lll probably spring for the cab -- 21/2 blocks is a bit of a schlep with luggage! ;)

Glad to hear the positive reports on the Downtown Hampton Inn. Does anyone know if they have a free (or low cost) shuttle to/from the Amtrak station and/or the cruise pier? If not, how much can we expect to spend on taxis?

Neither of those taxis should exceed $10. Optionally, it's a level 2 block walk to Stadium Skytrain, and Skytrain to either the Amtrak station [Main St/Science World skytrain stn] (1 stop east) , or to Canada Place [Waterfront stn] (3 stops west); is only $2.50. Skytrain is fully accessible with elevators from street level to platform level.

The Hampton is across the street from Vancouver's football stadium, so if you want to take in a MLS or CFL game, it's right there.

Archived