Sail and Sign Account?

timsgrl

Can someone please explain to me in detail what exactly the sign and sail account is. Do we put money onto it or does it add up and then we pay? How much money do you recommend putting on it? Can we use cash on the ship, or do we have to have a sail and sign account? Also it says that gratuities are included...does that mean each time we use the card it takes out gratuities or does it take out an exact amount each day? Can we change the amount of gratuities it takes out? I'm really confused as to how exactly this card works. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone please explain to me in detail what exactly the sign and sail account is. Do we put money onto it or does it add up and then we pay? How much money do you recommend putting on it? Can we use cash on the ship, or do we have to have a sail and sign account? Also it says that gratuities are included...does that mean each time we use the card it takes out gratuities or does it take out an exact amount each day? Can we change the amount of gratuities it takes out? I'm really confused as to how exactly this card works. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
This is specific to Carnival but I've been on several other lines and they work about the same. Check on the board for your cruise line to make sure. Sail & Sign is how you pay for everything on board with a few exceptions (such as room service tips). Cash is NOT accepted on board. When you board the ship you will set up your account. Each person can have their own acount or you can have joint accounts. You either have to deposit an amount of cash at the start (how much depends on the length of the cruise, generally $50 a day per person) or give them a credit card on which they will put a hold equal to the same amount. Carnival immediately puts on your account $10 per day per person for gratuities to your room steward, waiter, assistant waiter and casual dining staff. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the price of each beverage puchased from bar waiters and bartenders. All of this gratuities can be adjusted by going to the pursers desk, but since this is the recommended amounts most peoplr leave them as is. For truly outstanding service, giving additional tips in cash is appropriate. During your cruise, as you make purchases, if you approach the deposited amount, they willeither put more holds on your credit card or require ou to deposit more cash. Early in the morning of debarkation day, they will close your account and put a statement under your door. If you disagree with anything on the statement, you will have to go to the purser's desk to contest it. If you deposited cash and they owe you, there will be a check attached to the statement. If you deposited cash and you owe them you will have to go to the pursers desk. If you used a credit card and agree with the statement, you don't need to do anything, it will just automatically go through. Devarkation morning you will be able to use cash to pay for pictures and beverages.

You will sign for everything on board. Please, keep your copy and compare it to your statement. On some cruiselines you can access your account on the tv to check where you are, on others you must go to the Front Desk and get a printout.

• 2 weeks later...

The first cruise we took my son on he was about 12 or 13. I told him that anything he wanted to buy to just use the card. I guess I didn't make it clear that it was only for use onboard the ship. I would have loved to see the clerk's face when he tried to use the card on Catalina Island.:D

The first cruise we took my son on he was about 12 or 13. I told him that anything he wanted to buy to just use the card. I guess I didn't make it clear that it was only for use onboard the ship. I would have loved to see the clerk's face when he tried to use the card on Catalina Island.:D

LOL, that's funny!

-Chris

Archived