Spirit 12/18-12/25 review

christiecruise

I very much enjoyed your review and wish you had finished it! My husband and I will be on the Spirit in about a week and can't wait - our first cruise! Thanks again for giving us first hand information about this ship, the crew and your experiences.:)

OK - it seems that I am not doing a very good job on my review, and don't want to take up space here. Margaretevanescence's review is much more entertaining, so I'll let her finish up!

Happy cruising all, and thank you all so much for the helpful information!

Awww. I think your review is great! I am happy that we finally met and I can't wait to cruise again. Maybe someday soon we will meet again.

Christiecruise, Can you provide more info about the golf at Maya Chan. We'll be there in January, and just received our instructions from Mark. He mentions golf, and that this is new. Would love to hear more.

Also, for getting the transportation to Maya Chan. Should we wait 15 minutes and then just get a taxi (or can we just get a taxi?).

:)

Cross-post of my pictures from the other Spirit Review.

We were on the NCL Star and saw you guys in Belize and Cozumel.

Jim

I thought I would knock it out now.

I have the HUGE versions if you need / like.

NCL Spirit in Belize.

DSC_0020%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC_0036%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC_0043%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

I'm happy to continue the review - just didn't want to take up your time (or mine) if it was not helpful.

Mafig - the sand golf at Maya Chan was hilarious! We had about 9 who played and between that amount of people and Zack's antics it lasted about 45 min. - which depending on how much time you have and if the water is good for snorkeling/swimming/kayaking/floating you might not want to take the time.

The surf on our day was not great for being in the water so the sand golf was great. Basically, you are presented with a few rusty pitching wedges and Zack draws a line or box in the sand for tees. Each hole is 10-20 feet long and you need to be within a club length of the "flag" to hole out (no holes).

We played about 5 "holes" involving crossing the rutted road between passing taxi's, banking off a broken down bus, chipping over coconuts (when I tried to hit my tee shot for the far edge of the "tee box" to avoid the coconuts - Zack moved them in front of my ball). The bonus - beverage delivery on the "Zack Nicholas" designed course!

It is not really comparable to mini-golf - but if you are into fun, constant jokes, and your fellow golfers voting on if you are close enough to the pin - it is a riot. Wear your flip flops to avoid the red ants :eek:

Hope you have a great time at Maya Chan!

I am glad you are going to continue the review! We can never get enough. Everyone has different perspectives and experiences and you have your own unique way of telling the story. I am liking it very much and I think it is wonderful you took the time to write about the outstanding staff you met onboard. I met HD Prem a few times when he was on the Gem. Professional and good sense of humor are spot on characteristics as you described. Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

coka

Loving both reviews. We, too, will be on the Jan 15 sailing of the Spirit. We were not planning on anything special at Costa Maya, but now I think we will seriously consider Maya Chan if only for the golf. Sure sounds like fun.

Thanks so much for taking time to review your cruise. I REALLY appreciate it.

We had breakfast from Raffles back in our room and got on an early (in line at 8:15, but due to heavy waves which made loading difficult, we were not on shore until 8:55) tender to leave for Belize City. I had read much on CC about the difficulty in tendering in time to meet an early non-ship snorkeling tour. We were interested in spending as much time in the water as possible and wanted to see both Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

After researching all of the options that I'd read about on CC, and emailing several snorkeling guides on Ambergis Caye, could not find anyone to take us out on a tour (from San Pedro) which began after 9:00 AM.

Checked TripAdvisor and found the awesome Unique Dive Adventures. Sarah and Enrique Lima started their business in 2009, which Sarah says was an unfortunate year to begin, but they are doing a great job and offer tours for cruisers at any time during the day that fits into your schedule.

Sarah (from Minnesota originally) and her husband Enrique (grew up in Veracruz, Mexico), emailed with me many times before our trip. Sarah booked our plane tickets and helped plan our trip without a deposit. All we had to do was get from the cruise terminal to a taxi to take us to and from the Belize Municipal airport.

After a bit of stress with finding a taxi - the first guy left us to wait for over 10 min. - with only 25 min. until our flight, DH found us Roberto who got us there with 10 min.to spare before our 9:30 AM flight. He also was waiting for us when we arrived back at 3:30 PM.

We flew on Tropic Air, taking off from a teeny runway...ahhh...stopped on Caye Caulker for a mail delivery...back up in the air off an even smaller airstrip...weeee. Really fun and scenic flight which lasted a total of 25 min. to Ambergis Caye and were met by Sarah at the airport, then a 3 min. walk to Enrique's boat. Carlos was the driver, Enrique was leading us in the water at all times.

Saw spectacular fish on the reef at Hol Chan - only a few other boats out at the time - no giant tours. Next fresh fruit and beverages on the boat before jumping in the water at Shark Ray Alley where we swam with rays, nurse sharks and a sea turtle. Took a bit more time to swim out to a reef near Shark Ray Alley. Back to the boat for a rinse off and homemade lunch by Enrique that was out of this world! Red beans and rice, marinated chicken, fresh salsa verde, and a fresh and light cabbage slaw. Great boat ride back to San Pedro with enough time to walk the town a bit, have a rum punch on the beach and buy some Cuban cigars.

Sarah met us back at the airport (this is a nice building, but like a large 2 story house in the US), and even helped us with a mistake. We had used the ATM and it gave us Belizian currency, which we were not allowed to exchange without proof that we were leaving the country that day - ship key cards did not suffice. Sarah jumped up and had USD for us in about 1 min. flat ( she works for Tropic Air).

Awesome day. This was our big Christmas gift for the 4 of us. Not inexpensive, but so special.

Note: airfare was approx. $70 pp. and 4 hours on the boat including snacks, lunch and beverages was $420 for 4 - additional passengers up to 12 were $75 additional pp. We tipped on top of that.

Loving both reviews. We, too, will be on the Jan 15 sailing of the Spirit. We were not planning on anything special at Costa Maya, but now I think we will seriously consider Maya Chan if only for the golf. Sure sounds like fun.

Thanks so much for taking time to review your cruise. I REALLY appreciate it.

If you are interested in Maya Chan, email them immediately. They can book up months in advance as they only take 40 people per day and don't take walk-ins. It is a 20 min. ride to get there, so you wouldn't be walking up without a ressy anyway!

Also, it was so worth it for the food and outstanding beverages. Fresh, fresh everything that we ate or drank!

But be forewarned, the bathroom notice asks that you not put TP down the toilet - a basket is provided - so depending on your intestinal fortitude or lack of embarrassment...just something to know ;)

It is not really comparable to mini-golf - but if you are into fun, constant jokes, and your fellow golfers voting on if you are close enough to the pin - it is a riot. Wear your flip flops to avoid the red ants :eek: RED ants. We have them in Florida. Speaking of bugs....did you have knats, no see ums, etc. when you were there? I know this varies according to the time of year, but I wonder if I have to go searching for my OFF!;)

Hope you have a great time at Maya Chan!

Thank you!

:)

If you are interested in Maya Chan, email them immediately. They can book up months in advance as they only take 40 people per day and don't take walk-ins. It is a 20 min. ride to get there, so you wouldn't be walking up without a ressy anyway!

Also, it was so worth it for the food and outstanding beverages. Fresh, fresh everything that we ate or drank!

But be forewarned, the bathroom notice asks that you not put TP down the toilet - a basket is provided - so depending on your intestinal fortitude or lack of embarrassment...just something to know ;)

Thanks, Christiecruise, I'll get right on it. DH and I are just starting to get into golfing so this will be fun. We are not lay on the beach people.

I've been to Mexico before so am aware that their plumbing is different than what we're spoiled by here in the US. It is a surprise to the "first timers" though.

Hello CCers,

Happy Holidays to all! We had a great time on the Spirit this past week. I'm planning to write a lengthy review - but could use some advice - how much can I say about our port experiences without being censored? Do I need to omit the names of our private tour guides at first, but if asked by CCers, then may I give the details?

We flew in to NOLA late on Sat. night, Dec. 17th. Took our kids 17 and 20 down Bourbon St. from 11:00 PM - 11:45 PM, not a big deal. DD said was similar to her college at that time of night, nothing bad was seen by the kids. We walked them back to within a block of the JW Marriott where we had a free room from Marriott points, then DH and I went back to Bourbon Street and found a jazz club where we enjoyed a great set until 1:15 AM. As we walked back to the hotel, it was evident that the crowd has tripled - we had to push through masses of people - but most were college age and not very drunk at that point.

Our family woke up rather early and went out on Sunday morning for a walk throughout the French quarter, got a table at the Acme Oyster House by 11:15 AM (fabulous - chargrilled oysters, Peacemaker Po-Boys, jambalaya, étouffée, red beans and rice, etc.). Walked the Moonwalk and watched a fun street show.

Next, based on my CC info. we headed to the Walgreens which was a block from our hotel to pick up bottled water, soda and juice to bring on board the Spirit. I had read on CC about being allowed to bring aboard pop and non-alcoholic beverages. The recommendations that I had seen said to put luggage tags on the sides of the packs and they would be taken with luggage to the stateroom.

HUGE NOTICE - WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO SEND OUR SODA OR BOTTLED WATER WITH CURBSIDE LUGGAGE CHECK-IN. We had 6 people in 3 rooms and brought several 12 packs of soda/tea/water (which we had taped in two groups and placed luggage tags on each) in our taxi. These two pieces were unloaded with our luggage and were refused to be taken by the staff at the port. My husband and 17 yr. old ended up lugging them through security, check-in, embarkation, and up to our 11th floor room - embarrassing and unwieldily, but ultimately cost efficient ;)

After stopping at guest services to change our key cards to put the kids in the inside 4th floor together, while DH and I were rekeyed for our intended balcony, we met up with my parents in our adjoining rooms on the 11th floor. Enjoyed a bon voyage on the 13th deck, then picked up a plate of appetizers from Raffles to enjoy on my parents balcony along with some cocktails.

Two days before our cruise I remembered reading on CC about pre-ordering "bar set ups", called my PCC and ordered 1 liter of vodka and 1 liter of rum - they were waiting in our room when we arrived and we used our caffeine-free diet coke and Mr. T's Bloody Mary Mix which had been so dearly carried onboard to mix and enjoy at our cocktail hour which lasted until about 7:45 PM.

Next, we arrived at Windows, just before 8 PM and were given a great table in the high ceilinged space at the far aft side of the restaurant. After pursuing the wine menu for 10 min. or so, dad ordered a bottle of red wine while mom ordered a white, we told our server that we would order dinner after the wine was served. The white was brought about 10 min. later and placed in an ice bucket - as dad was told that his red wine choice was not available. He ordered another bottle of red....10 min. later, he was told that that bottle was not available either. Finally 40 min. after we had been seated, a red was found, poured and then the white was finally poured as well. We all ordered dinner, and had a great meal - albeit a 2 1/2 hour meal.

Most of us went right to bed, but my mom and hubby did go out and catch 20 min. or so of entertainment afterwards. I lingered in Windows and spoke to the gentleman at the desk at the front of Windows about our experience. I told him how much we enjoyed our meal and our servers, but clearly explained the problem with the wine. It turned out that the gentleman at the desk was the Maitre de - Deepak. He explained to me that there was a new wine menu and unfortunately their supplier had not been able to deliver the wine on time for this cruise. Deepak gave me his card and said to call him anytime. I left feeling better, now that I understood their problem.

All in all, we were off to a great vacation!

OK, that's all for today....will continue tomorrow!

Thanks for your review. Look forward to reading more.

I had to LOL when I saw the comment about ordering red wine and it wasn't able. This exact thing happened to us on the Sun in June while dining at LeBistro. Kept hearing it was "sold out" and "this one is also popular with guests and it is sold out too." Finally got our third choice. It was funny though because we had not ordered either.

Happy New Year!

Mafig - No biting bugs at Maya Chan when we were there and they had much rain the week before.

I got bit a few times while sitting at a table with a sand "floor" in a restaurant just off the beach in Roatan, but nobody else in my family did.

You probably won't need the "Off" :)

Finally, finally - after maddening hours - I figured out how to post my photos!

Will start here with Maya Chan, then post Belize - after that will post with the concurrently with the review. Hurray!!!

Open air bus ride from the port to Maya Chan

232323232%7Ffp73467%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496957752348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6354%3A%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496957753348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3A5%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496957754348nu0mrj

Maya Chan!

232323232%7Ffp635%3C4%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496957757348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63569%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D349692%3A6%3A5348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp733%3C5%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496957763348nu0mrj

Coxen Hole, Roatan - pictures from our balcony

232323232%7Ffp635%3A5%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D349696757%3A348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63562%3Enu%3D%3B638%3E99%3A%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3496967582348nu0mrj

For our excursion in Roatan, we found a beach club on West Bay Beach (on the CC ports board) called Bananarama. They have a neat story and donate a portion of their profits to a community effort to called "Familias Saludables" which is a non-profit, non-denominational organization devoted to fighting the AIDS epidemic on Roatan and the Bay Islands. Their major focus is on reducing the incidence of mother-to-child transmission of the virus both at birth and via breast milk.

I contacted them via an 800 number and paid $30 pp. in advance. When we arrived on Roatan (once again after having a bit of trouble finding the right gate for our driver - if you decide to go, contact me and I will give you MUCH better directions) we eventually found the driver with a Bananarama sign. He loaded the 4 in our family plus my parents into his large and air-conditioned van. We took a gorgeous 20 min. trip up over the mountains and back down to West Bay Beach and the Bananarama resort.

Our $30 bought us a private driver to and from Bananarama at times that we chose, a beach chair and a welcome drink - we had pina coladas! The weather was amazing and the water was so incredibly clear while we were there. All of us snorkeled, which was the absolute best of any place that we tried on the trip!

I had read Mitsugirly's review extensively (thank you Mitsu!) and we were easily able to find the channel out to the reef. The landmark was a huge inflatable triangular shaped slide which was about 100 yards to the east (left if facing the water) from Bananaramma. Several of us swam out three times and saw the most amazing coral formations and species of fish. DD and I even saw an eel on our last swim. The second time out we swam past the reef closest to shore, over a channel of about 20 ft. in depth to the outer reef. The drop off there was sooo deep that it was scary - I estimated that we were looking 60 ft. down but DH thinks it was more like 40-50 ft.

Our pictures, both in the water and on land, were taken by underwater disposable cameras which we plan to develop in the next few days. I'll post those as soon as possible.

Around 1:00PM we had lunch at Bananarama's beach side restaurant (they also have a fine dining spot). Nachos, smoked fish and tortillas as an appetizer, then we tried pulled pork quesadillas, cheeseburgers, fish tacos, etc. All were very good and fresh tasting. The fries were excellent :)

We left for the ship at 3:15PM arriving back in plenty time, but unfortunately a few from the Spirit did not. We watched a couple passing back and forth between the gangway and port security waiting for 4 passengers with the same last name - we assumed their family/kids. The couple ended up staying on shore as the boat left them behind...

Archived