Sail and Sign Account?

timsgrl

Can someone please explain to me in detail what exactly the sign and sail account is. Do we put money onto it or does it add up and then we pay? How much money do you recommend putting on it? Can we use cash on the ship, or do we have to have a sail and sign account? Also it says that gratuities are included...does that mean each time we use the card it takes out gratuities or does it take out an exact amount each day? Can we change the amount of gratuities it takes out? I'm really confused as to how exactly this card works. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cash is not used on board. Everything is charged to your onboard account via the Sign and Sail card. At the first of the cruise you must provide a credit card or some other form of payment (cash) to guarantee the payment. I believe the minimum cash to put down is $500.

Gratuities included are for your cabin steward, waiter, etc. for the entire cruise and will be put on as one charge. When you buy drinks a 15% gratuity is added to your bill and goes onto the account. You can change the amount of the standard gratuities if you wish. :)

You can also check the balance each day on the TV in your cabin. You also have the option of paying the tips to you server, cabin attendant, etc in cash by following the guidelines.

If you leave the gratuities on your S&S card you get little vouchers to hand out...you can also give extra in cash if you want.

Tips for room service and meals in the buffet are not included in the auto gratutities, nor are they added to a check. You may want to give these people a few dollars if you use those dining options.

Hope that helps

With some sign and sail cards, it is also your room key. That depends on the cruise line. We went on Celebrity Zenith from NYC to Bermuda. On that ship, our sign and sail card was both. ON Carnival Fascination, if memory serves me right, we had 2 cards. One was a room key and the other was based on a credit card, cash or traveller's check. Word of advice to the ladies out there is to buy a small coin pouch (large enough to hold a credit card) on a keyring and attach it to a wristband. You will be glad to have this if you are just going up on the top level of the ship. Someone asked if me if a cellphone pouch with credit card slots on a wristband would work just as well and I think it would. You wouldn't want to lose your cards on board.

Can someone please explain to me in detail what exactly the sign and sail account is. Do we put money onto it or does it add up and then we pay? How much money do you recommend putting on it? Can we use cash on the ship, or do we have to have a sail and sign account? Also it says that gratuities are included...does that mean each time we use the card it takes out gratuities or does it take out an exact amount each day? Can we change the amount of gratuities it takes out? I'm really confused as to how exactly this card works. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

For every drink or purchase on board, you will sign a receipt. Be sure and check your recipts before you sign them and make sure they are accurate. Also, save all your recipts. If you have a problem with your account during the sailing, such as a purchase that may be questionable, you can refer or cross reference your receipts to check for possible cruise line errors. This is a great way to refute any charges that you consider refutable. Its not uncommon at times that you may find an error on your account. Without your receipts it can be difficult to challenge the cruise line. Also, make sure you sign your receipts a special way that can not be forged by anyone else that may have acquired your personal information (room #, a lost sail & sign card, etc.) This way, if a receipt looks forged, you will know it. I've been crusing for a very long time, and pax fraud is rare, but not uncommon. Be concientious (sp.) about volunteering personal information with other cruise pax for fear of cruise identity theft. When longing and drinking by the pool, make sure if you sign for a drink, you look very carefully at the bill. Sometimes, cruise staff may give you another pax receipt to sign for when they return with your order, or vice versa. Make sure the receipt is yours and that it stipulates what you purchased. These are just some helpful hints that I like to pass along to first time cruisers. you can benefit from it in the long run. People do make mistakes...

John

Archived