Wedding dress alterations

I was wondering if any of you have had to have alterations done to your wedding dresses? If so, about how much did it cost? I have to have mine hemmed and taken in about 2 inches on each side (it fit perfect when I bought it!!! The diet has worked :D). My dress has a lace overlay with beading... I'm not even sure how they would take up the length on the lace. I called the place where I bought it and they told me (without them looking at me in the dress) that it was going to be at least $300. Is this right? It seems like a bit much. I was budgeting on no more than $200 and hoping it wouldn't even be that. Now I'm worried that I picked a dress that it now going to be wayyy over my budget. :confused:

I had to have bustle added to my dress (involved 14 buttons), had the sides taken in, halter shortened and the underarm/bust area altered. My dress had beaded lace on top of satin on the halter portion and then ruched satin near the waist.

My total cost was roughly $200.

Depending on the amount of layers they may have to hem and the fullness of the dress... plus taking in 2 inches on each side... 300 might be about right

Agree that this price sounds reasonable. Alterations can be expensive; the work can be much more complicated than it appears. You may want to consider finding an independent seamstress and seeing what they would charge. Often, it's much less than a bridal shop, and faster too.

Archived