hotel vancouver - no bidding

dkort

Where do you want to stay? how much do yo want to spend? (I know, I know..as little as possible). If you are sailing from Canada Place, you just can't beat Pan Pacific or Fairmont. Just a walk downstairs or across the street and there's your ship. If you sail from Ballentyne Pier, well, you don't want to stay near there. Trust me on that. Vancouver has many lovely hotels. I love the Bayshore. It's right at Stanley Park and a little out of hustle of right downtown. If you have any specific hotels in mind, maybe I can give you a Vancouverite's opinion. There are lots of not over the top pricey hotels as well as all the chains.

Barb

We are also looking to spend some time in Vancouver pre-cruise this summer. We are thinking we might stay for three nights at the Westin Bayshore. Could anyone give me an opinion on staying here? We are two couples, ages 51, 53, 60 and 63. We would like to stay in a nice hotel that is comfortable and conveniant.

Jean S, I totally agree with BarbH. I think you would thouroughly enjoy your stay at the Westin Bayshore. If you enjoy walking, you are so close to Stanley Park. That's the nice thing about Vancouver (downtown) it's very easy to walk to anywhere you want to go. I lived in Vancouver many moons ago but recently visited on our return cruise from Alaska. We stayed at the Delta Pinnacle which was very nice and there is also another Delta hotel very close to the Pier. But you will be very happy with your choice!!!!

Thanks so much for the feedback. We have visited Canada many many times but always in the Maritimes. We have never been to the west coast and are so excited. Thanks once again for your suggestions.

dkort,

I have not stayed in either Hotels but the Sheraton is centrally located in downtown Vancouver, a little easier access to shopping. While the coast Plaza is in English Bay which is beautiful, more residential but nice walk to some lovely restaurants and cafe's. If your interested they have the crowne plaza and Marriott pinnacle on skyauction.com both good locations. Another site for views on Hotels is tripadvisor.com.

Hope this Helps!!!!

I don't know much about either hotel ... but I'll go check them out in the next few days. The Sheraton is much closer to downtown but if I recall just a little out of the center of things. I think the Coast is in the west end near English Bay. I would tend to prefer that location but it's just personal preference. Have you looked at the Sylvia?? It's right across the street from English Bay.

Barb

if you are in Vancouver for 3 days, you might want to consider going over to Victoria (Vancouver island) for the day or overnight. It is very British. You will love it. Been there many times and you can sit on the waterfront all day and people watch. They also have a nice museum which has alot of information on B.C. history

I know you said no bidding but..... someone just wrote they got Hyatt for $75/night. If you only have 1 night and don't want to spend megga bucks, I'd check them out. You just can't go wrong with any of the big chains.

Barb

hi barb: thanks so much for your response. it only takes one or two bad experiences to teach me a lesson.... we used to use priceline and hotwire consistently and never had a problem. however, because we only travel high season due to our daughter's school schedule, we've had a recent streak of bad luck with these two discounters. we were stuck in smoking rooms and my daughter is mildly asthmatic. even for one night, it was horrendous. we ended up checking out and paying full price for another hotel close by. priceline and hotwire cannot guarantee that if the hotel is booked to capacity that a nonsmoking room will be available. we even called the hotels in advance to inqurire and were told that nonsmoking rooms were available. we only use hotels that can guarantee us nonsmoking. also, priceline and hotwire cannot guarantee bed type. my husband cannot sleep in a double with me. we cannot put our daughter with us because she kicks. we have to have either a king and a roll away or two queens. we had this problem with a hotwire hotel bid at a major chain who told us, sorry, but we cannot guarantee you anything but a smoking room, double beds. we even wrote to hotwire re the smoking thing afterwards, but were given their standard response. we will neve use any of these discounters again.

I'm not suggesting you bid ...only that If Hyatt was willing to go for $75/night maybe they have good rates. I'd still go with the Bayshore (all things being equal) ... or Pan Pacific or Fairmont. But that's me .. I'm like you. I don't like surprises. I really like the Bayshore for families. The park is right next to you, great views (harbour, Stanley Park, mountains in the background etc). A quick walk to lots of restaurants. I have no idea of the price (won't be cheap). I'm presuming you want to be "downtown", but if you don't care, there is a very nice Holliday Inn Express (quite new, indoor pool, nice rooms) just over the bridge in North Van. It is a short cab to Ballentyne pier. BUT... not much to do within walking distance. It would be way less pricey. More than fine if you were driving or if you arrive late and just want to sleep.

Barb

We loved the central location of the Hyatt. I booked directly with the hotel with a very favorable manager's special which included breakfast. The trolley stops outside, which is a great way to tour this area in a short amount of time. You can get on or off at many stops.

Bon Voyage

Archived