Nervous about the Diamond in Alaska!

crusinbanjo

A couple of our Australian friends are booked on the Diamond Sept 1 cruise to Alaska and have asked Mrs Banjo & I to join them. Our past Alaska cruises were on the Island princess, (the original Love boat, not the current Island), and on the Regent Mariner. We know the IT and the ports but not the Diamond. I am a little nervous about booking this cruise on such a big ship. Although we have cruised extensively the world over we have never been on a ship with more than 1400 pax.

So, I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have done the Alaska cruise on the Diamond. What can we expect in terms of lines & Times to get on & off the ship, excursions, crowds / lines for the MDR, etc. Does the ship feel crowded, is the public space adequate? Does the number of pax overwhelm the port towns? Is a full suite worth the extra $$ as apposed to a mini suite?

Thanks for all the help!

On a Sept Cruise I would not worry as much. Things have calmed down quite a bit as compared to peak season. The biggest factor will be how many other ships are in town with you, not the size of your ship as far as crowding on land.

Embarkation/MDR lines etc vary quite a lot, depending on how many people choose traditional, how many take ships tours, etc. With that in mind, Princess seems to do a generally good job of people getting on and off ships. Sure, it may take a little longer than on a 1500 pax ship, but that can be accounted for.

As far as suite/mini suite - you have seen how much the difference is, right? (Mini-suites are not really suites, just larger balcony cabins with a tub)

A couple of our Australian friends are booked on the Diamond Sept 1 cruise to Alaska and have asked Mrs Banjo & I to join them. Our past Alaska cruises were on the Island princess, (the original Love boat, not the current Island), and on the Regent Mariner. We know the IT and the ports but not the Diamond. I am a little nervous about booking this cruise on such a big ship. Although we have cruised extensively the world over we have never been on a ship with more than 1400 pax.

So, I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have done the Alaska cruise on the Diamond. What can we expect in terms of lines & Times to get on & off the ship, excursions, crowds / lines for the MDR, etc. Does the ship feel crowded, is the public space adequate? Does the number of pax overwhelm the port towns? Is a full suite worth the extra $$ as apposed to a mini suite?

Thanks for all the help!

We were on the Diamond Princess a couple of years ago in Alaska, and for us the ship was perfect. I dont remember any long lines anytime. The only time it felt a little crowded was when we were in Glacier Bay and everyone was on the Lido deck glacier watching. We had an aft balcony so cant comment on the suite vs. mini. Port crowding depends on how many ships are there.

Diamond and Sapphire offer great passenger space ratios along with the other 2600 pax grand class ships. Alaska is slightly more crowded feeling because so few people are on the deck sunning themselves like they would be in Hawaii or Mexico.

None the less it really is "a big ship with the small ship feel" Ships that big are big because they are wide and wide helps spread the people out, it is never a question of how many people are aboard, it is a question of how many people are in your way... :D

you have NO reason to be nervous.

Been on Sapphire/Diamond twice to Alaska and feeling cramped, crowded never an issue. Easy off and on in port (no tenders). As the above member said, "big ship small feel"... and with so many balconies the public decks aren't always as crowded ex. of course for a while in Sawyer Glacier (does it go there next year?) when everyone was taking pics etc.

Another advantage to September sailing is that merchants have good sales!:)

I have been on Sapphire 3 times, and appart from the Buffet on sail away day, have never felt crowded.

There are always places to "go and hide" if you want to get away from the crowd. Skywalkers in the morning is empty, 9 of 10 people on the ship never realize the wakeview even exists and those are just 2 of many.

There are lots of people, but its a big ship with a great deal of public space. You have nothing to worry about.

I think the only time I ever saw a crowd was near the dining room at a popular dining time. We had an aft balcony and stayed there for glacier viewing, so I can't comment on crowds while cruising past glaciers, there are aft suites that you might enjoy.

Was considering an aft suite, I think the view would be great! Yesterday I was reading an older posting about some odor issues coming from the food prep area, have they been resolved?

Here is a link to the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360686&page=6

Thanks for all the feedback, will be booking today or tomorrow.

Definitely go on the Diamond Princess cruise to Alaska. I've been on the Diamond (and her sister, the Sapphire) five times, and I have always had a great time. Absolutely, go!

I also cruised on the original Island Princess, as you have mentioned, so I understand your concerns. The Diamond is bigger and different, but it is fantastic in so many ways.

Knowing that the original Island Princess cruised some time ago, let me mention some differences in the Alaska ports, since that time. (These differences aren't the fault of the Diamond Princess... it is just the times.) You will be surprised at how much more crowded the streets are, in Juneau and in Ketchikan. This is not due to the size of the Diamond Princess, but because there will probably be five ships in port when you are there. There will be at least two of the Princess ships (either the Sapphire, the Diamond, the Star, or the Golden), there will be two Holland America ships, and possibly another from either Crystal or Norwegian. So, compared to the 80's, you will find many more people on the streets.

My solution to the crowded streets has been to go on countryside shore excursions, instead.* The small boat tour of Misty Fjords is fantastic, in Ketchikan.* The view from the top of Mt. Roberts, in Juneau, is sensational.* I am sure that your Australian friends will enjoy the White Pass and Yukon train trip, in Skagway.* These wonderful trips are peaceful.* Enjoy!

You had mentioned either a suite or a mini suite.* I've done both, and they are both great.* As you must know, the full suite is much more expensive (as has been mentioned).* If you have a full suite, though, you can order room service from the dining room menu.* It would sometimes be fun to have room service lunch or dinner, in your suite, while enjoying the scenery in Glacier Bay, College Fjord, or Snow Pass.

Whatever you do, don't miss Snow Pass.* It is four hours north of Ketchikan, on*the northbound cruise.* In addition to the fantastic scenery, one sees humpback whales here, up close and personal, from your balcony!* (The mini suite comes with a great balcony, as does the full suite.)* One time, the whales were directly below my balcony, and I could hear them breathing.* Don't miss Snow Pass!* I (almost) guarantee whales, here!*

Definitely enjoy your cruise on the dazzling Diamond Princess:)

Bon voyage:)* Oh!* PS - On the Diamond and on the Sapphire, they usually have Princess Pop Star, rather than the passenger talent show.* Too bad, as I would have enjoyed your banjo performance, otherwise:)

Was considering an aft suite, I think the view would be great! Yesterday I was reading an older posting about some odor issues coming from the food prep area, have they been resolved?

Here is a link to the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360686&page=6

Thanks for all the feedback, will be booking today or tomorrow.

I saw that thread last night. I can say I'm glad I didn't see it before we went, I might not have booked our fabulous aft balcony then. WE had C748 and never did we encounter any odors. I loved, loved, loved our aft balcony.:D

Oh!* PS - On the Diamond and on the Sapphire' date=' they usually have Princess Pop Star, rather than the passenger talent show.* Too bad, as I would have enjoyed your banjo performance, otherwise:)[/quote']

Thanks for the insight, we know about the changes, Alaska on the Island Princess was our first ever cruise in 1990. Our last cruise to Alaska was on the Regent Mariner in 2005. Great trips both!

Interesting excursion recommendations, I like them a lot and will be looking into them in greater detail.

As far as a Banjo performance, mostly I play harmony parts, (I know, an odd thing for a banjo), in a trio with another banjo & a guitar. We play Early American Jazz tunes from the 1900's era, (fun stuff). I am working on some lead & solo material that will be a lot of fun! Too bad they have a Princess Pop Star. Oh well on a short trip like this the banjo might stay home anyway...... ....NAAAHHH :D

Thanks again!

Archived