Cuban Cigars

Scants

Hello all,

I am confused about this. I had a brother-in-law who purchased some Cuban cigars in a wooden case in Majhaul for $50 bucks for his son-in-law. He claimed them to customs and nobody confiscated them while we disembarking. Not sure why. I guess they could have been fake. Imagine that fake things being sold in Costa Maya...:) Take Care all

I have found that the custom agents just take the form and don't even read them. Maybe they read them later or maybe they just throw them out.

I think I will just buy my 2 cigars at a port. And smoke them before I get back to the USA. It is not worth the risk at all. It would ruin the cruise if I got fined or put in jail.

Thanks for all your feedback.

You know you could always buy cigars that are grown with cuban seeds which I believe are legal.

You know you could always buy cigars that are grown with cuban seeds which I believe are legal.

Exactomundo, liv

Cuban seeds are used to grow tobacco in the Domincan Republic, for example, and are completely legal. I honestly can't tell the difference, but I'm not a big cigar smoker. I think its like a Lexus-Camry thing. :D

One word of caution for those wanting true Cubans. They can be purchased only at an "official" Habana Cuban Cigar Store. There will be a sign stating so and a seal, usually on the window, stating so. There will be a walk-in humidor kept at a certain temperature and humidity.

All the rest are a ripoff, especially the "true" Cubans Cohibas sold from a small box on the counter at all the trinket shops surrounding the pier.

Its easy to bring them back. Just have the clerk take off the "ring" identifying it, wrap the cigar in newspaper, and issue you a receipt for a good legal cigar. As I said, I don't smoke cigars very often, but purchased a Monte Cristo #2 for a friend while in Belize, got a receipt for a Churchill. Ironically, I self-assisted at debarkation in Canaveral and walked right off the ship without being stopped at all, just asked if I was an American citizen as I whizzed by the officials ! :eek:

I wouldn't, but I could have brought back 4 or 5 boxes and paid for the entire cruise ! :eek: I would also guess that if you were "caught" with 1 or 2 Cubans, you'd probably just have them confiscated and get a stern talking to, but 4 or 5 boxes may buy you the hassle of your life.

Customs and Counterfeits

from

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1009,00.html

The Ultimate Counterfeit Cuban Cigar Primer

from

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

90% of all "Habanos" sold to Americans worldwide are out and out fakes

from

http://cigars.about.com/library/weekly/aa012102a.htm

Cuban seed is used to grow tobacco in a lot of countries but it does not produce the same quality of tobacco. It has to do more with the climate and soil in Cuba - the same principle as grapes grown for wines.

TonyCruise,

You are correct, the seed is only a small portion of what gives tobacco it's color, aroma and flavor. The soil and climate are the most important factors. With that said, only a small (Fuente) percentage of dominican tobacco has the strong and spicy tendencies that make real Cubans so good.

Nicaraguan grow tobacco comes closest and in my opinion, some non-Cuban cigars (La Gloria Cubana, Padron, Davidoff) that use a blend of tobacco from around the world are better than most Cubans that only use cuban tobacco.

As for buying Cubans in the Bahamas, only buy from a legitimate "Casa del Habano" retailer. Legit Cubans are in extremely high demand and Habanos S.A. (distributor for all cuban brands) treats Europe much better than the Caribbean. Selection may not be that great at a legit store. Also, be warned that a legit cuban cigar will cost anywhere from $5 to $30 per cigar. I have seen so many tourists buying "Cuban cigars" from a T-shirt vendor or a street salesman in Jamaica or the Bahamas for $25 a box. I ask you this, would you buy a Rolex for $50 on Canal Street in New York and expect it to be legit?

Good luck,

Swishers Sweets are much cheaper and taste considerably better in my opinion. :)

Did anybody else hear that ? :confused:

I swear to God, I thought I just heard Ernest Hemmingway TURNING OVER IN HIS GRAVE ! :D

Oh well, as I tell anyone who asks me what the best cigar is, "It is the one that tastes best to you"

Cigars International has great prices, but beware the closeouts that they push. Premium cigars are often only slightly discounted and often on backorder.

If anyone is in Miami pre or post cruise, you migh want to take a trip to SW 8th Street and 11th Avenue and stop at El Credito Cigar Factory for a tour of a real working cigar factory and a very good price on what I think are some of the best cigars in the world, La Gloria Cubana and El Rico Habano.

Long Ashes,

Did anybody else hear that ? :confused:

I swear to God, I thought I just heard Ernest Hemmingway TURNING OVER IN HIS GRAVE ! :D

In the cigar world, Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia. has produced a Hemingway line of cigars since 1986

from

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Profiles/People_Profile/0,2540,15,00.html

cigars, mementoes with "I 'heart' Cuba" carved in wood and T-shirts with Ernest Hemingway's face emblazoned across the front.

from

http://savvytraveler.publicradio.org/show/features/1999/19990626/hemingway.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas and thought that I would pass along my experience with counterfeit Cubans. I had done some research and learned that the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island has a cigar shop which sells legitimate Cubans (Havana Humidor).

When I got off the ship in Nassau I found plenty of cigar shops in the downtown area advertising Cubans. I was highly suspect but decided to do a little comparison. I would purchase one cigar from the downtown shop and then purchase that same cigar from Atlantis when I vistied them later in the day. I ended up with a Bolivar corona. When I completed my purchases and compared the two, sure enough the one from the downtown shop was a fake. The band was quite different from the original and looked like the counterfeit examples on the Cigar Afficionado web site. The fake is actually a very well constructed cigar but I have not smoked it so I have yet to see what it tastes like. The original was an outstanding smoke!

So I chalk this up to a lesson learned. If you are going to buy cubans in the Bahamas stick to the major hotel shops. I know that the Atlantis is legit and I think the Wyndham on Cable beach also has a reputable shop. By the way the cigars cost the same at both shops ($12 each) so I didn't even get a deal on the fake! :(

Tony.

I've always been told that real cubans have a little wacky weed in them, is this true? It would be nice if someone could clear this up, for it has been an ongoing debate between dh and I for several years. Thanks for any help on the subject.

I've always been told that real cubans have a little wacky weed in them, is this true? It would be nice if someone could clear this up, for it has been an ongoing debate between dh and I for several years. Thanks for any help on the subject.

I am by no means an expert in Cuban cigars but I have never heard that they contain marijuana. :confused: The one that I smoked in the Bahamas seemed normal to me.

wheww that's a relief. someone had told my husband this and it made him pretty upset, for we both was in law enforcement and he smoked one in Jamaica, he's not a smoker, just enjoys a cigar every once in a while, dont even inhale just puffs away..this will be a relief to both of us..thank you for putting our minds at ease.

I've always been told that real cubans have a little wacky weed in them, is this true? I

I did some searching and the only thing I found is people doctoring cigars. No report of cigars containing marijuana.

Still confused....Blonde moment I guess...If I bring 4 cigars from Canada to smoke on the boat will that be OK? I would be bringing them into Miami but would not smoke them until we were on the boat and I would make sure they were gone before we got back to Miami on the 7th day.

No, you can't. Since you will be coming into the United States you cannot have them whilst here. Customs will take them from you, when you enter this country.

Tony.....Sounds like you did your research and found a real one. I hope you enjoyed it. The Atlantis resort is one of the very FEW places in the Bahamas that carry the real thing. I'm sure you noticed, but every shop in the Bahamas has 'cubans'. Some of the fakes aren't bad, but a lot of them are downright nasty.

Tony.....Sounds like you did your research and found a real one. I hope you enjoyed it. The Atlantis resort is one of the very FEW places in the Bahamas that carry the real thing. I'm sure you noticed, but every shop in the Bahamas has 'cubans'. Some of the fakes aren't bad, but a lot of them are downright nasty.

I was really hoping that the downtown shop was legitimate. I must have visited a half dozen stores looking for one that appeared to be upstanding. The shop I bought the cigar from looked like a really upscale shop - big walk-in humidor and a large selection. I even asked the girl at the counter if they were authentic cubans and of course she said yes, so my hopes were high.

I did enjoy the real Bolivar. Very smooth and complex taste. Even my wife commented that it did not smell "bad" like other cigars. Now the problem is that I can't get any more! :( I guess I will just have to plan another cruise! :D

Archived