Cuban Cigars

Scants

No, you can't. Although Canada allows bringing them into the country, America forbids them. And you are debarking in America. You can buy them, but you can't bring them into the States. So you might as well just buy what you can smoke on board. :(

OOPS! read wrong ...

But the same applies. Sorry about that.

Cheeky is correct. Also the cruises make it very clear over and over "no Cuban cigars allowed". Just got off Miracle & our cruise director was giving a presentation & he said American's cannot bring Cuban cigars back into the country. He said Canadians you lucky dogs can.........however..remember we are docking in the United States so don't get too happy & the crowd laughed pretty good on that one.

Still confused....Blonde moment I guess...If I bring 4 cigars from Canada to smoke on the boat will that be OK? I would be bringing them into Miami but would not smoke them until we were on the boat and I would make sure they were gone before we got back to Miami on the 7th day.

Still confused....Blonde moment I guess...If I bring 4 cigars from Canada to smoke on the boat will that be OK? I would be bringing them into Miami but would not smoke them until we were on the boat and I would make sure they were gone before we got back to Miami on the 7th day.

You cannot bring them into the US... So, the answer is still NO. You said you would be bringing them into Miami... can't do that, it's illegal. Your best bet would be to find some in one of the ports you visit and buy them there...

I'm not sure that customs will stop you as you land in Miami and ask you if you are carrying cuban cigars, since you are coming from Canada, not Cuba. But they might! You might take the wrappers off and not worry about it. Or just ignore them! I don't think they are looking for people smuggling cigars from cuba via canada, especially if you bought them a year ago!

June

I'm not sure that customs will stop you as you land in Miami and ask you if you are carrying cuban cigars, since you are coming from Canada, not Cuba. But they might! You might take the wrappers off and not worry about it. Or just ignore them! I don't think they are looking for people smuggling cigars from cuba via canada, especially if you bought them a year ago!

June

Just to give something else to think about we recently crossed from Canada to Michigan and the first question from customs was did you bring and Cuban cigars across the boarder. Not trying to STP but just a little food for thought.

If you want, you can always chance it and stuff them in your checked baggage, wrapped in or contained in something else. If you are landing from Canada in Miami, I'm not exactly sure that the first thing on their minds is going to be Cuban cigars.

I think it also depends on your look, and how suspicious you look. I have dual American and Canadian citizenship... I have crossed the border many times in Michigan and I always get waved through. Never been asked if I have any Cuban cigars. I think the reason why they might ask is because they are sold at the duty free store right on the border. Not sure why they are sold there if you cannot bring them into the U.S.

The fine for Cuban Cigars on American soil is very hefty- weigh that thought to see if its worth trying to smuggle or not--espeically in the airports when some people are flagged for security.

Do they still do random security checks at the gate, where they pull people out of line and go through all their things? The last half dozen times I've flown I noticed they don't seem to do that anymore.

They do it at the Security gate now. And they do it quite frequently... it is random.

I am not a Carnival Cruiser, but if Carnival sells Cubans onboard then see standard thread on how to get booze onboard :D:D

Right on a plane to ship from Canada probably nobody will ask in the states.

Just a sidenote: Just got off Radisson Seven Seas Mariner, and in their smoking lounge, they ONLY sell Cubans... Yipes up to $45 for a cigar... I do not smoke cigars but I checked out their menu...

Do they still do random security checks at the gate, where they pull people out of line and go through all their things? The last half dozen times I've flown I noticed they don't seem to do that anymore.

Last cruise in February when we got our tickets they were all circled-- yep- we were then flagged. They also tagged my checked luggage. and yes they did go through my suitcases. They didnt leave a mess. Dont know why- Joe figures coz we booked our flights so early..and they got changed about a billion times from the airlines.

I am not a Carnival Cruiser, but if Carnival sells Cubans onboard then see standard thread on how to get booze onboard :D:D

I don't believe Carnival sells them on board. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

The fine for Cuban Cigars on American soil is very hefty- weigh that thought to see if its worth trying to smuggle or not--espeically in the airports when some people are flagged for security.

I really don't think it's worth the risk for a few Cohibas. My journey usually ends with what I call "a loveletter" in my suitcase, from US Customs ~ stating that they have gone through my bags. By the way, their site says this:

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

I think I will just buy my 2 cigars at a port. And smoke them before I get back to the USA. It is not worth the risk at all. It would ruin the cruise if I got fined or put in jail.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I think I will just buy my 2 cigars at a port. And smoke them before I get back to the USA. It is not worth the risk at all. It would ruin the cruise if I got fined or put in jail.

Thanks for all your feedback.

That is definitely the smart answer. It's not worth it to have your cruise crapped out because you were tagged for a search after getting off the plane. Our luggage gets searched just about each time we fly anymore. We get the little letter in the suitcase. All it takes is one slip for you to be watching the ship leave while you pay the fine for the cigar. Not a good way to go.

Mark T.

Hello all,

I am confused about this. I had a brother-in-law who purchased some Cuban cigars in a wooden case in Majhaul for $50 bucks for his son-in-law. He claimed them to customs and nobody confiscated them while we disembarking. Not sure why. I guess they could have been fake. Imagine that fake things being sold in Costa Maya...:) Take Care all

Archived