Balcony temperature to/from California

twonpcb

We are looking to book at 15 day round trip out of San Diego to Hawaii during the first part of October. Is it worth it to book the balcony cabin, or do we need to stick with ocean view/inside? We have heard that unlike the Caribbean, the Pacific air can be quite cold. Has anyone had any experience with sitting out on a balcony over the Pacific? What can we expect as far as temperatures?

Thanks,

Robert

For us, the longer the cruise, the greater the need for a balcony. It's a personal choice, but I couldn't handle being cooped up in an inside cabin for 15 days. I know people say that they only use the room to change and sleep, but that's not true for us - we enjoy a little quiet time each day. Yes, it will be colder crossing the Pacific than it usually is in the Caribbean. But...it's also cold when cruising Alaska and I wouldn't have given up my balcony for anything! We don't necessarily sit out there for extended periods, but we still "need" the opportunity to watch the waves, sunrise or sunset or catch a rainbow, see occasional wildlife or just to get a breath of fresh air. Also, don't forget that your cruise also involves sailing around the islands, Much of the time the scenery there will be breathtaking and I wouldn't want to miss any of it!

We are looking to book at 15 day round trip out of San Diego to Hawaii during the first part of October. Is it worth it to book the balcony cabin, or do we need to stick with ocean view/inside? We have heard that unlike the Caribbean, the Pacific air can be quite cold. Has anyone had any experience with sitting out on a balcony over the Pacific? What can we expect as far as temperatures?

Thanks,

Robert

I sailed a r/t from LA in late November & early December so it might be slightly warmer in early October. For my cruise, I got a balcony for all of those seadays because it was reasonably priced. However I wouldn't have spent a lot because we don't spend time sunbathing on our balcony.

We have sailed to Hawaii twice, and are booked for a 3rd time in April. All 3 with balconies.

Yes, it is chilly the first 2 days over, and the first 2 days back, but having a balcony in port is great.

DH needs the fresh air for his sinus problems. Our first cruise was an OV, and there was a problem with the AC on our deck. All of us slept with our hall doors open all night. :p

I spend alot of time in the cabin resting. It's great because I can be laying on the bed, and I can see out.

For us~~~~balcony always. For DS and DIL~~inside.

Personal choice.

Pat

We cruised to Hawaii this past Feb. (end of into March). It was quite chilly on the cruise to Hawaii, I was glad I had brought a fleece jacket and some sweatshirts w/ me. I was thinking warm but it was chillier than we thought it would be. Hawaii was in high 70's. I think a balcony would be much cooler and don't know if spending the extra money would warrant it's use. However, to each his own, some might not mind sitting out on a chilly balcony. All you will see for 4 days to and 4 days back will be the Pacific Ocean. We saw whales once we got to Hawaii but not much else on the days at sea, not even birds! Enjoy your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

My personal opinion is to go later. I think the fall might be a nice time. If you feel the need to get away from the cold then Jan. or Feb. might be ok. Looks like you are from TN so you might get a bit warmer weather than we have here in New England.

We went on HAL so flew into San Diego to board the ship. It was very chilly and rainy in San Diego (believe it or not). We flew in the day b4 so as not to worry about snow, etc. and it was raining when we got there and chilly too. I was glad I had that fleece jacket. When we got back from the cruise mid-March we stayed 2 extra days to sightsee in SD and it was perfectly lovely weather, 70's, sunny, etc. We had a great 2 days there.

Probably shouldn't tell you this but we also cruised right thru the tsunami (mid-March) as we were heading back to SD. My friend also encountered bad weather on her cruise during the same time we went. We were so far out to sea that we cruised thru the tsunami w/ no effects from it other than some choppy seas.

Others will have different opinions but I would not cruise Hawaitt again in Jan. or Feb.

Mary

Archived