Chankanaab non ship excursion?

TexasRachel

I think I'd like to go to chankanaab, but dh doesn't want to go by ourselves. He'd prefer to book a private excursion or to go with the ship. However, because I'm pregnant, I can't go on the ship excursion. This is also why I don't want to do a reef snorkeling excursion. I think I could handle a shore one easier. So does anyone know of any private excursions to chankanaab? Thanks.

There is no need for an excursion to go to Chankanaab. You simply catch one of the MANY cabs waiting outside the port terminal, tell them you want to go to Chankanaab and you are off. Cost is $10.

There is a $21 admission fee to get in. There are coupons online for $2 off.

When you say it would be easier to do a shore one, please be aware that by shore, it's not a beach and you walk off into the water gradually to snorkel. The beach is way high up and there is a wall. You climb down either rocks that are made into steps or iron/metal steps to get down into the water. It is EXTREMELY slippery going in and out. When you step off the step into the water it is already over your head.

Some times the water can be a bit choppy around there, but the locals will tell you to stay to the right if it's a bad day because the water will be higher and choppier to the left.

There is PLENTY to see snorkeling up and down the wall of ironshore/coral right by the wall along the beach. Tons of fish and the area/wall is LONG!! You could actually spend hours going along (as I did) looking at everything and back again and still see different fish.

Chankanaab is by far my favorite on the western side so far. We are planning a trip back next year and can't wait to go back.

Just want to say, please be careful at this place snorkeling and being pregnant. I'm not sure how far along you are, how your swimming skills are, but it isn't the easy beach to water type snorkeling. :)

Almost forgot...

Here's a link to my review of Chankanaab from September of this year. At the bottom of the review you will find a link to all of my pictures there that day. There is a lot to see and it is a beautiful place!! Hopefully that will give you a better idea of what the snorkeling area is like. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Almost forgot...

Here's a link to my review of Chankanaab from September of this year. At the bottom of the review you will find a link to all of my pictures there that day. There is a lot to see and it is a beautiful place!! Hopefully that will give you a better idea of what the snorkeling area is like. :)

We are planning to go to Chankanaab in March and some of our party is considering snorkeling. My daughter is deathly afraid of any type of shark. Did you run into any there?

We are planning to go to Chankanaab in March and some of our party is considering snorkeling. My daughter is deathly afraid of any type of shark. Did you run into any there?

No, I have yet to see any sharks any time I've ever been snorkeling at any port. Not saying it couldn't happen, but trust me, I'm right there with her and afraid as well. I think that's why I always never wanted to learn to scuba because of being farther out. :)

My family LOVES Chankanaab and have been there several times. Never seen any sharks and we have snorkeled all over (except in Belize when we were in shark alley and we saw nurse sharks...harmless but still exciting!) so no worries about that. Not sure I would snorkel there while pregnant unless I was not too far along and was a strong swimmer. Like previous poster said a bit precarious getting in and out as well as strong currents. But the beach area is beautiful, the seal show is adoreable and it is a lovely place to spend a relaxing day even without the snorkeling. Have fun!:D

Almost forgot...

Thank you for posting the link! We've been to Paradise Beach and may go again, but I've always been curious about Chankanaab. I'd like to go this February, but I'm traveling with 20 others so we shall see.

Question... the picture of the beach looks like you access the water right from the beach, but you talk about having to walk and go down stairs. I'm confused. :confused: LOL My youngest is only 3 and I'd like to have water access directly at the beach. I hope you can clarify for me. Thanks!

Thanks again. :)

Thank you for posting the link! We've been to Paradise Beach and may go again, but I've always been curious about Chankanaab. I'd like to go this February, but I'm traveling with 20 others so we shall see.

Question... the picture of the beach looks like you access the water right from the beach, but you talk about having to walk and go down stairs. I'm confused. :confused: LOL My youngest is only 3 and I'd like to have water access directly at the beach. I hope you can clarify for me. Thanks!

There is a HUGE beach with lots of space...this is where the snorkeling is. The beach itself is up high and there is a wall at the end of it. You have to walk down the steps (which are in the water to the ocean) or the rocks (which are made into steps) to get into the snorkeling/ocean area from this beach. (There are handrails at each place to hold onto).

There is another area, which is fairly small, that is like a little cove that has calm water and it's a sandy bottom and you walk right into the water from the beach.

We had our 3 year old and even though the rocks can be slippery she didn't have a problem at all walking into the snorkeling area and swimming beside us snorkeling along with us. She had a blast.

I will post pictures to clarify.

This is the small cove area for little ones:

IMG5654-M.jpg

This is the big beach with the snorkeling (right next to the above basically)

IMG5743-M.jpg

There are like 5 different steps/areas that you can access the snorkeling (which you can see 2 of them in this pictures, one has the lady walking into the water).

I wish I would have taken a picture standing at the end of it and pointing toward the entire snorkeling area. I know there are some online. I'll see if I can find one (I know I did when I was researching Chankanaab before going there).

If you look at this pictures, you can see in the background the "wall" that divides the water from the beach and you can also see the handrail. (nevermind my daughter and the huge fish having a "stare-down" with each other in the water LOL)

IMG5714-M.jpg

The pictures are great!!! (I browsed through all of them on your site too - just beautiful!) You answered my question about the beach too. I didn't realize the beach to water (cove area) was so small, but I think we can live with that. I assume that the water where the wall is is all deep from your description - am I correct? Either way, I think we can make it work for our family, and my girls (12 and 8) really want to snorkel after seeing your pictures and video! :)

Here's what I could find on the cove area (there's not much online from searching other than my picture)

cozumel%20wedding%20and%20honeymoon%20attractions%20-%20chankanaab.jpg

Great pictures...do you have any review of your dolphin encounter and pictures? Did you book on your own?

Thanks,

Donna

The pictures are great!!! (I browsed through all of them on your site too - just beautiful!) You answered my question about the beach too. I didn't realize the beach to water (cove area) was so small, but I think we can live with that. I assume that the water where the wall is is all deep from your description - am I correct? Either way, I think we can make it work for our family, and my girls (12 and 8) really want to snorkel after seeing your pictures and video!

Thanks again.

Well, the day we were there, I would guess that it was maybe around 6 or 7 feet around the edges where all the coral/iron shore is??? :confused: Trust me, you are not going to miss out on seeing any fish anywhere along the edges. They are everywhere and that's where I took all of my pictures. We swam up and down that entire wall area. Plenty to see. I'm not good with measurements. You can either stand up in it or not touch bottom is my definition. :D It's not "too" deep, but it does go out deep (which is what my husband did to get the statue pictures). It's required to where a snorkeling vest, so that keeps you safe and floating. :)

Great pictures...do you have any review of your dolphin encounter and pictures? Did you book on your own?

Thanks,

Donna

That picture you quoted, is not mine. Those last couple of pictures are ones that I found on the internet trying to show what the different areas look like. It was the only other picture I found googling (other than my picture). My pictures are all on my smugmug site in the review. :D

Yes, I have a dolphin review. However, I only video taped the dolphin encounter and from the video, I made pictures with them (since I couldn't do both at the same time with only 1 camera). So, the quality is very crappy. GREAT camera for pictures, crappy camera for video, but I'm not complaining. Then my batteries died mid-way through the swim. I ran back to the locker when they announced we got to do the manatee swim too...but by the time I got back to the water, they had already started, so I took a few pictures of the hubby and daughter in the water with them.

Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Yes, I booked this online (which includes free admission to Chankanaab) and it saved money because the earlier you book, the more you save. :D

I've always wanted to see a shark. We have been to Coz 10 times, snorkeled when weather allowed and have been to Chank twice. Never saw a shark. Barracudas, yes,:D but no sharks.

I am going to go the the Bahamas if I don't see a shark on our next cruise. I hear that they have lots of them.

Well, the day we were there, I would guess that it was maybe around 6 or 7 feet around the edges where all the coral/iron shore is??? :confused: Trust me, you are not going to miss out on seeing any fish anywhere along the edges. They are everywhere and that's where I took all of my pictures. We swam up and down that entire wall area. Plenty to see. I'm not good with measurements. You can either stand up in it or not touch bottom is my definition. :D It's not "too" deep, but it does go out deep (which is what my husband did to get the statue pictures). It's required to where a snorkeling vest, so that keeps you safe and floating. :)

That's what I figured (about the depth), which is okay - we'll just have to make sure to pack a vest for our 3 year old so he can see the fish too. Which brings me to ask... did you see toddlers in the deep area? Do you recall if they had vests to fit the little ones? Need to start shopping just in case.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
I've always wanted to see a shark. We have been to Coz 10 times, snorkeled when weather allowed and have been to Chank twice. Never saw a shark. Barracudas, yes,:D but no sharks.

I am going to go the the Bahamas if I don't see a shark on our next cruise. I hear that they have lots of them.

We went to Nassau last summer & used Stuart Cove (they have snorkeling & diving excursions). I highly recommend them! We booked online, had no wait & snorkeled three places. It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen!! The last placewe swam with sharks! They hyped it all up to get everyone scared, but they were just nurse sharks :). That was the highlight of our trip!

view.sfly?fid=4d244040593b6f386cbbd47cbb382743

That's what I figured (about the depth), which is okay - we'll just have to make sure to pack a vest for our 3 year old so he can see the fish too. Which brings me to ask... did you see toddlers in the deep area? Do you recall if they had vests to fit the little ones? Need to start shopping just in case.

:)

I didn't see different sizes of life jackets when we were there (but then again, I wasn't looking for them either because my little one has a puddle-jumper<---best darn product EVER). The youngest we seen out there was my 3 year old. Most were adults, some teens. But everyone got a kick out of her out there with us squealing and laughing from all the fish surrounding her. :D She loved it.

I don't know if you've ever tried life vest on your little one before or not, but just know that A LOT of people on here and that I know personally can not get their little one to keep from flipping either on their backs or face first with any toddler life jackets. I tried the regular vest life jackets, I tried the bright orange boating jackets, I resorted to the blow up arm floaties doubled up with a blow up ring until I found the puddle jumper. They are awesome and helps teach your little one to swim and keeps them upright. Just make sure you test whatever you get prior to going and you'll see what I mean. :)

I didn't see different sizes of life jackets when we were there (but then again, I wasn't looking for them either because my little one has a puddle-jumper<---best darn product EVER). The youngest we seen out there was my 3 year old. Most were adults, some teens. But everyone got a kick out of her out there with us squealing and laughing from all the fish surrounding her. :D She loved it.

I don't know if you've ever tried life vest on your little one before or not, but just know that A LOT of people on here and that I know personally can not get their little one to keep from flipping either on their backs or face first with any toddler life jackets. I tried the regular vest life jackets, I tried the bright orange boating jackets, I resorted to the blow up arm floaties doubled up with a blow up ring until I found the puddle jumper. They are awesome and helps teach your little one to swim and keeps them upright. Just make sure you test whatever you get prior to going and you'll see what I mean. :)

OH MY GOSH! I could've invented this Puddle Jumper thingie! LOL I know exactly what you mean about the life vests making kids go face first or on their back. I bought a life vest thinking I'd use the swimmies with it for the sole purpose of keeping my son upright (it works, I've tried it), but it's cumbersome. I'm going to order the Puddle Jumper as soon as I hit "submit"! Thanks sooooo much for sharing - I think I <3 you! LOL

Just came back from Chankanaab. LOVE that place! They did have life vest there (they are required for snorkeling) to fit my dd7. She had a great time snorkeling- lots of fish! The water was a bit choppy that day but not too bad. Steps are a little slippery getting in (some spots are easier than others to get in/out) but shouldn't be a problem unless you have mobility issues. After snorkeling we went to the park pool for a swim. Wish I could be there right now!

Just came back from Chankanaab. LOVE that place! They did have life vest there (they are required for snorkeling) to fit my dd7. She had a great time snorkeling- lots of fish! The water was a bit choppy that day but not too bad. Steps are a little slippery getting in (some spots are easier than others to get in/out) but shouldn't be a problem unless you have mobility issues. After snorkeling we went to the park pool for a swim. Wish I could be there right now!

So glad you had a great time! I'll be there SOON to discover all that you loved. :) Can't wait!

Archived