Theft prevention

I'm looking for theft prevention tips. I sometimes carry just a point'n shoot, and sometimes a DSLR. Any suggestions for safety? I was thinking to carry it over shoulder, under arm, with my hand on it. I'm sure there are other ideas out there. Especially concerned about big cities. Tnx,

a professional photographer showed me how he wraps the camera stray around his forearm twice while he carries the camera in his hands and during shooting. The thief will have to drag the owner with the camera.

a professional photographer showed me how he wraps the camera strap around his forearm twice while he carries the camera in his hands and during shooting. The thief will have to drag the owner with the camera.

That's what I do. I have traveled all over the world and had my strap snagged by a thief more than once and have not lost a camera yet - tho I have been knocked over by the pull.:rolleyes:

Good suggestions. Thanks. Any thoughts about a photo bag for extra lenses? I wonder if any out there have straps that can't cut.

I usually have someone with me to hold on to my extra equipment. If shooting alone - I keep the bag around the other side of me - on my left shoulder. If in a crowded area and shooting - it can be easy to have your bad lifted since you are more focused on what you are shooting then on the crowd. When in this position - I go the extra step to put the strap though my belt so if grabbed, its still attached to me.

I have only had one strap cut and that was in Paris - thiefs tend to grab and run.

I've always been one for the double-wrap of the strap around my wrist, then tucked into my hand with the camera. I tend to carry the camera by the mount...so my hand is both on the lens and the body, and I've got a firm grip on both.

But the general rule is: if it is a grab-and-run thief, a good strap and grip might prevent them from getting it...but if they are a more determined thief or worse, an armed one...they can have my camera with no argument. I'm not going to put my life against any camera!

So far, never had an incident. I may have the advantage of being a very large person, who may not look like the type you want to try to steal from...if they succeed, they can probably outrun me, but if they may worry that they'll fail and get stuck within my reach!

• 1 month later...

Question? You said to have a sturdy strap, does the canon one qualify as sturdy. I just pucheased a DRebal and never gave it a thought about someone trying to steal it. I really do not want to leave it at home as I purchased it to get some good photos,Any suggestions as to lens that I might want to take along on a cruise?Would like to only take a couple with me. Also what do you do with your camera when you leave it in the room?

Safe?

Question? You said to have a sturdy strap, does the canon one qualify as sturdy. I just pucheased a DRebal and never gave it a thought about someone trying to steal it. I really do not want to leave it at home as I purchased it to get some good photos,Any suggestions as to lens that I might want to take along on a cruise?Would like to only take a couple with me. Also what do you do with your camera when you leave it in the room?

Safe?

I would not buy a camera that was so expensive, I couldn't afford to loose it. Yes, loosing my D70 would be pretty frustrating, but I'd get over it. If my camera were worth too much, I wouldn't use as often. I got a Nikon strap with my D70. Too much advertising..... "HEY, I HAVE NIKON HERE". I went with a plain Tamrac strap. For security, I'm thinking of http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=653

Lenses depend on the photos you take. The "standard" D70 lens is an 18-70 (28-105mm equiv.). I'll take it on my next cruise. I'm a wide angle nut, so I'll also take my Tokina 12-24mm (which I don't own yet :D ). I'm still wondering if a telephoto is going or not. I have an 80-200 f/2.8, and it's DEFINITELY not going.... little TOO heavy. I've never been a fan of those 28-200mm lenses. A little too much compromise, but your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps. Good shooting,

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe because I don't have super expensive cameras (video and digital, each under $500), but I have never even give this a thought! Does this happen often? Where? Are these theives only after the very expensive cameras?

And while we are on the subject, what about pickpockets? Any stories, advice, etc?

Now I'm scared!!!!!!

Thanks for your views Mountainhouse, never gave a thought to theift before I am still new to the Digital SLR world but from what I have done so far I think I am glad that I made the choice that I did. I will just have to hope that I do not have any problems.

• 2 months later...

I have never had a problem with a camera but I had my wallet taken by a pick pocket one time at a theme park. I now wear cargo shorts or long pants with the extra pockets, especially the ones that button down on the front and only take ID, credit card or folding money and put them in the front pockets. Also, you might consider a fanny pack, only worn in front, for carrying extra film, battery for a camcorder or even a small extra camera lens. Good luck.

Randy

Archived