Help for a Special Day on Med Cruise in May:

Northerncheapo

Hello friends,

DH and I are very much looking forward to our 5211A voyage (Monaco-Monaco, 12 nights, May 5-17). I was wondering if it would be appropriate to post here a request for some help? Please advise if I should move to the 'excursion' tab, but I would rather get advice from fellow SS'ers...

Our actual 25th wedding anniversary falls on May 16 and I was hoping to do something extra special that day. We will be in Porto Ferreira (sp?) in Elba, Italy from noon until 7:00pm and it appears that activities are limited which is probably part of the charm. I'm thinking of perhaps just taking a good bottle of wine, a picnic lunch (will SS do that?), and heading for a secluded beach for a few hours. Does anyone have any other suggestions for an 'off the beaten track' idea?

DH owns a morning suit and would like an opportunity to wear it. He is a stickler for protocol and insists that it only be worn in the morning. I thought it might be nice to have him wear it on the morning of our 25th anniversary (and me in a cocktail length dress) and have a romantic private breakfast/brunch somewhere on the ship before heading out on Elba. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange for a romantic table to be set up somewhere on deck (as alone as possible) and be served a meal in the morning?

If anyone cares to look at the itinerary and has comments about 'must do' for the other ports of call, I would love to hear that too!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Anita

Anita I don't have any suggestions for your proposed special event, your conception is fabulous, but do want to say BRAVO -- GO FOR IT GIRL --

My late husband never did anything according to the book either -- which made for a lifetime of special memories.

Let us know.......:)

Hi Anita, also echo Dusababy's Congratulations for you upcoming Silver anniversary on Silversea. Think you special 25th Anniversary day plans are wonderfully romantic. If you want to consider continuing you anniversary celebration (after your romantic day in port) in the evening, (to give you some ideas) below is a summary of what we did for our Silver anniversary on the Spirit.

We celebrated our Silver on the Spirit's maiden crossing in January 2010. Thus, our celebrations were done at sea versus a port--but believe the celebratory planning applies for you Silver anniversary too. Silversea with the help of a fellow guest went above & beyond the call to help us celebrate our special event. We asked for (the day we boarded) a special six course Indian Dinner in the Restaurant and SS delivered with gustatory delight--we had a special bottle of champagne that paired well with the spicy curries in our meal. When we returned to our suite later that night, our Butler and Steward had placed rose petals everywhere, with a special anniversary cake and more champagne. However, 24 hours later, we enjoyed an extra special (to mark our Silver anniversary) event--vow renewals with another SS couple (Doug & Lynn) on the Spirit's bridge. A fellow guest (thank you Emmy) acting like our wedding planner--coordinated with SS staff on board, truly what was "a once in our lifetime vow renewal at sea." As the sun was gently setting on the Spirit's huge Bridge window, the Spirit CD (Fernando) beautifully read the vows--we recited, the Captain (Corsaro) presided; immediately we popped champagne and horse dervies were graciously provided by some of the Spirit's wonderful food & beverage staff. The avatar picture above is Ida and I enjoying a Champagne toast outside on the Spirit's Bridge deck. Then we adjourned to our special vow renewal party (Dusababy was there!) hosted by SS on the Panorama lounge veranda--we had over 45 guests enjoying drinks and more horse dervies wonderfully provided by SS. The cost, absolutely nothing. I bet, if you ask with plenty of lead time, Silversea will do something similar to mark your very special 25th anniversary.

Thanks for the idea, Col. Wes! Your story was very interesting in showing how far the SS crew will go to make a special occasion, well...special! I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a problem with a private brunch somewhere on the ship :) Do you suggest that I go thru my TA to make arrangements or do you think that I'd be ok with just talking to them upon boarding? Again, thanks for sharing your awesome story and the pic (where you both 12 when you got married???).

Ah, Dusababy, thanks so much...you have certainly tugged at my heart strings and reminded me to be gratefull everyday (even days like today where we're on each others nerves, cleaning out the basement). Hope to meet you someday on a cruise!

Thanks again,

A

Ah, Dusababy, thanks so much...you have certainly tugged at my heart strings and reminded me to be gratefull everyday (even days like today where we're on each others nerves, cleaning out the basement). Hope to meet you someday on a cruise!

Thanks again,

A

Anita re "morning suit". I'm assuming you mean a tuxedo? If so, one more reason to count your blessings! My DH loved to "dress up" too -- and it surely added to the occasion.

Keep on cruisin' and we're bound to meet somewhere

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Actually Mary Ann a morning suit is frequently called "tails" quite a bit different from a tuxedo. I like to wear a tuxedo but I usually think of a morning suit only in the context of a wedding which I did once 45 years ago and may do again if and when we make it to our 50th.

Actually Mary Ann a morning suit is frequently called "tails" quite a bit different from a tuxedo. I like to wear a tuxedo but I usually think of a morning suit only in the context of a wedding which I did once 45 years ago and may do again if and when we make it to our 50th.

Thanks newlondon -- I've seen "tails" in movies but never in person -- perhaps since I live in the Wild West.....;)

If you can still get in your "morning suit" from 45 years ago you're bound to make it to your 50th.....

Actually, tails, tuxes and mourning suites are all different. Tails are what you would see at black tie events in the evening OR what Bugs Bunny wears when he is conducting an orchestra. Tuxes are what most men wear as formal wear in the evening (or waiters,lol). And morning coats are 'usually' grey/silver in colour and look like what a buttler would wear (like those on ss) or what the royal family wears to weddings in the morning. Apparently DH got a morning suit because he thought it was pretty neat but has come to now realize how limited the opportunity arises to wear the darn thing!

So, I'm hoping he'll be able to wear it the morning of our 25th and then his tux the evening of the 25th...pretty facy-shmancy, but hey, why not? It's why we love sailing on SS!!

So, I'm hoping he'll be able to wear it the morning of our 25th and then his tux the evening of the 25th...pretty facy-shmancy, but hey, why not? It's why we love sailing on SS!!

Me too ! Not many opportunities these days to be fancy-schmancy, and why I am absolutely against relaxation of dress standards on SS.

(that's another thread and has been beaten to death --so let's not start;)

Happy New Year, A. Suggest you triple tap (first ask you TA to coordinate with Silversea, next u may want to send an email with your requests to informationdesk@silverseacruises.com, and on boarding the Spirit, go see the Spirit's Hotel Director (might be Paolo pls see link below for picture) and check to see that your special Silver requests are being worked). Thank you for your very nice question.

http://maritimematters.com/2011/11/crossing-on-the-silver-spirit-part-three/

Just one thing to note, your husband need not confine himself to wearing his morning coat in the morning, it can be worn at any time during the day, up to late afternoon. Indeed it is correct dress for many events which start in the afternoon, weddings of course, garden parties, appropriate race meetings

Thanks, Rosepark...yes, DH is one of those people stuck on protocol (must be a military thing) and is aware of the 'time frame' of the morning coat. I do wonder, what happens if he is still wearing it at 5:01 pm...does he turn into a pumpkin? I digress...

Since we are in Elba from 12-7, we would likely be in port during the 'outer limits' fashion-time,lol.

Thanks again!

anita

Archived