NCL Star Family Suite (SJ) Question!!! :)

sas121

You will receive one bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of regular and a bottle of sparkling water. Only the OS, DOS and Garden Villas receive unlimited soda, water and either 3 (OS & DOS) or 6 (GV) bottles of booze.

Is this correct? I thought it was only one bottle of water.

:)

I am also a Mom with two active boys, and let me tell you- I am relieved not to have to deal with the balcony nightmare. We have had the suite experience with the two bedroom AB on the Dawn and fell in love with the suite experience. Unfortunately the price for that cabin skyrocketed, so I am thrilled to have the option of a nice large cabin with the suite benefits again :) We booked cabin 12016 which looks perfect to me!

We're booked in 12028......I was trying not to be any farther forward than I have to be in case of motion if we get rough seas on the way to Bermuda...but now I'm worried that noise may be a problem. Will we be under the running track? I'm not sure where it turns around. Also looks like we may be under one of the tiers of loungers above the pool. And also the comment now about being across from the Library as far as traffic is concerned...should I be concerned? I am so second guessing this suite.:confused:

Don't worry about the library. Honestly the area is quiet. Every time I walked past the library there were people in it but I never really noticed anyone coming and going. We were also under the running track and had no issues with noise. It's all good. You will LOVE this suite. You'll think I'm nuts but we have one of the deck 10 aft (former) romance suites booked for Bermuda next Sept and periodically we actually talk about switching to the SJ. We really really liked it.

Don't worry about the library. Honestly the area is quiet. Every time I walked past the library there were people in it but I never really noticed anyone coming and going. We were also under the running track and had no issues with noise. It's all good. You will LOVE this suite. You'll think I'm nuts but we have one of the deck 10 aft (former) romance suites booked for Bermuda next Sept and periodically we actually talk about switching to the SJ. We really really liked it.

Which SJ suite were you in? SF's are our first choice but cost $700 more per person than the SJ's for our cruise to Bermuda. We loved the floor to ceiling windows when we had the DOS on the Gem and didn't use the balcony nearly as much as usual since we could see everything from inside the suite. So I'm hoping this SJ will be similar and we won't miss the balcony as much.

I am also a Mom with two active boys, and let me tell you- I am relieved not to have to deal with the balcony nightmare. We have had the suite experience with the two bedroom AB on the Dawn and fell in love with the suite experience. Unfortunately the price for that cabin skyrocketed, so I am thrilled to have the option of a nice large cabin with the suite benefits again :) We booked cabin 12016 which looks perfect to me!

When are you going? We booked 12016 for our cruise in May. Can't wait!! I'm also looking forward to the suite perks. I think the SJ is a GREAT deal. :)

When are you going? We booked 12016 for our cruise in May. Can't wait!! I'm also looking forward to the suite perks. I think the SJ is a GREAT deal. :)

We are going Easter break. I am a frequent cruiser and "studied" the plans. I did not want a balcony room next door , which may have people "peering over" to look in the windows. Also- I did not want inside cabins across from me nor public rooms. Good choice on the cabin :)

Which SJ suite were you in? SF's are our first choice but cost $700 more per person than the SJ's for our cruise to Bermuda. We loved the floor to ceiling windows when we had the DOS on the Gem and didn't use the balcony nearly as much as usual since we could see everything from inside the suite. So I'm hoping this SJ will be similar and we won't miss the balcony as much.

12526 so as you know, other side of ship but close to where you'll be in terms of how far back. We enjoyed it so much. One day I sat by those floor to ceiling windows and watched dolphins swim and jump along side the ship for miles. Never been lucky enough to see anything before. It was awesome. To be fair though, this was our first NCL suite experience and no offense intended (truly!), but I have noticed that some of the long term NCL suite-lifers who post here have some pretty exacting standards :D so YMMV.

I can't imagine any of these cabins being bad. On December 26,2010 I booked cabin 12028 for November 18,2012 YES a 2 year wait. Us and 3 grandkids for thanksgiving.

We leave Jan 8th for a week on the spirit. Just over 1 week and I am packed and just waiting for the time to pass by.

Enjoy cabin 12028 all cabins were available when I booked and that was my choice.

Good thing you did as here it is 10 months away and all of the SJ's are sold out for that sailing. I booked mine several months ago also. My daughters cant wait to sail.

Dave

Yes, there is a murphy bed in the area with the dining table and chairs. They move them to the foot of the master bed to make up the murphy.

PP is correct about the beverages.

The gorgeous bathroom has a full tub, wonderful! and a separate shower with glass door. Both have the hand held type shower attachment. The shower also has an overhead drencher type shower head.

Wonderful wonderful suite!:D

I do have one question - what kind of coffee machine is there in the SJ suites? We hope it's the Espresso kind.

Cheers!

Are these like the 'keurig' coffee makers? One cup at a time? Not a big deal, I'm just not familiar with Lavazza.....

Yes, except they use capsules instead of k-cups. The coffee is fabulous and machine can also steam and froth milk for lattes. The tea capsules are amazing too. Last summer, our butler kept us well stocked with the lemon tea capsules and we used them to make wonderful iced teas!

I've booked one of the SJ suites on the Dawn for our 'girl's cruise' in May 2012...and my husband and I are booked in a SG (with balcony) on the Star for Sept 2012....I can't wait...

My only comment/question/complaint would be....Why didn't they put whirlpool tubs in the bathroom???? That would have made these extra 'suite' :D

I'm always concerned with how well can they clean a whirlpool tub between guests.

• 1 year later...

We booked the SJ 12016 on the Dawn...assume they look the same as the Star. I cannot wait for the windows. We rarely sit on a balcony so I am not sad.

Only 700 and something days....So far away I cannot even do a countdown clock! UGH....I need to book one in between!

Edited by kcwiak

Thanks everyone!! I'm so excited! I'm glad to hear you all like the room and that area where the rooms are. We are currently in 12016. I'm kinda glad that we don't have a balcony with my two little ones. The last cruise with them, I could barely sleep I just kept having thoughts and worries about them getting on the balcony!! We never really used it because of them being so young and me being so nervous, er protective. ;) LOL This size room looks fabulous. On the Jewel, we stayed in a two bedroom family suite but my daughter was still in a crib and needed her own space. This time we can all hang together and it will be ok.

I'm hoping that we will be able to see NYC as we come "home" at the end of the trip without having to go on deck so that's why I picked this side. For departure, we will undoubtedly be on the upper decks for the sail away celebration.

Happy Cruising!!! :)

WE had that cabin in Dec...here is a link to a video of it

The only thing we could hear was once in a while people were jogging on the track overhead. not bad, just could hear them once in a while

I'm always concerned with how well can they clean a whirlpool tub between guests.

Why? I mean, what exactly is your concern? I would hope they would clean the tub just like any other. Before you get in, just put some hot water in the tub and run the jets for a minute or two, then drain and fill it back up with clean water. That way, anything that has settled in the jets is not sent into your bath water! :)

Why? I mean, what exactly is your concern? I would hope they would clean the tub just like any other. Before you get in, just put some hot water in the tub and run the jets for a minute or two, then drain and fill it back up with clean water. That way, anything that has settled in the jets is not sent into your bath water! :)

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily enough. If you've ever had the displeasure of contracting a skin or nail fungus after having a manicure or pedicure, or having soaked in an improperly cleaned jetted tub, you would understand. Organisms can remain even after the procedure you describe, and the after-effects are rather unpleasant. In order to properly disinfect, bleach is generally the accepted method. Since I don't know whether or not the cruise lines use bleach to disinfect the jetted tubs, I don't use them. Been there, done that, and not gonna do it again. ;)

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily enough. If you've ever had the displeasure of contracting a skin or nail fungus after having a manicure or pedicure, or having soaked in an improperly cleaned jetted tub, you would understand. Organisms can remain even after the procedure you describe, and the after-effects are rather unpleasant. In order to properly disinfect, bleach is generally the accepted method. Since I don't know whether or not the cruise lines use bleach to disinfect the jetted tubs, I don't use them. Been there, done that, and not gonna do it again. ;)

Thanks for your response. Sorry you've had a bad experience. I hope they use bleach! :eek: