St Maarten Beaches

luv2ruise

You have a dutch side (Great Bay Beach is nice) or the french side (Orient beach is gorgeous). Many beaches on the french side are clothing optional.

If I recall the dutch side has more reefs for snorkling

Orient Beach, on the French side, is my favorite beach. Lots of activity, jet skis, parasailing, restaurants, etc. You need to be aware the right side as you are looking at the water) of the beach is clothing optional but it is well marked.

Maho Beach (Dutch) is fun for watching the jets land but not really a "relaxing day" at the beach. Not much beach is left since the storms a few years ago. There is a bar/restaurant there.

Sherri:)

You have a dutch side (Great Bay Beach is nice) or the french side (Orient beach is gorgeous). Many beaches on the french side are clothing optional.

If I recall the dutch side has more reefs for snorkling

Orient Beach is indeed gorgeous but the majority of people participating in the clothing optional part shouldn't. :)

This map is from 1995 but it gives you an idea of how Orient Beach is laid out; water toys towards the 'middle' and Club Orient (clothing optional) at the end.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/SmallOrientPanorama.htm

This is more current, by Gary Taylor. View it as a slideshow http://picasaweb.google.com/103102769349699307447/AWalkAlongOrientOctober2009?gsessionid=nk3izTeKvAVit3sw-R2fdw#

This is where we usually go with our teens. Cab is about $9 pp each way and there are lots of food places on the beach. Chairs and umbrella run from around $14 near the end (Pedro's, Orange Fever) for 2 chairs, 1 umbrella, 2 drink tickets to $25 for similar near the water toys, more near the center part of the beach.

Marcies pic of Orient beach is excellent...the cabs drop you off at the Village Orient right there near Bikini, as you can see from the photo, the beaches on the right of the photo ( walk left when facing the water) are much less crowded, though more $ to rent the chair. If you want to just use a towel, the two empty areas next to Coco are great quiet places to go. The water sports outlets at any of these beaches cater to whomever walks up, you don't have to be " using" their chairs to rent or parasail. Note the surf is strong here, it's not really a snorkel beach, but a short boat excursion can be purchased at the water sports outlets to Islet Pinel.

Never been to the Dutch side beaches, the idea of a planes taking off doesnt really fit my definition of a relaxing beach day!

Orient Beach is indeed gorgeous but the majority of people participating in the clothing optional part shouldn't. :)

Because of the gawkers on this beach, only those comfortable in their own skin tend to go oh natural here and that seems to come with life experience and age.

yeah, I have been to Orient Beach many times.

If you are hoping to gawk and see something attractive, it won't happen. Lots of obese, unattractive people who like to walk around nude.

My wife was excited to give it a try, and was totally grossed out!

(we are in our mid 30s, eat well and exercise a lot and try to keep in decent shape. My wife is not a supermodel but works hard to keep in shape, she is 5'9 and 135lbs and I'm 6' and 180lbs.)

Now a days it seems the mentality is to eat as much as possible on cruise ships, don't exercise and consume massive amounts of booze and soda, and then just chalk it up to genetics, age, etc. and you can feel great about yourself while you walk around with your hairy beer gut and your tiny equipment hanging out.

The beach is still beautiful though, you might have some unpleasant images burned into your head for the rest of your life.

Anyone can walk around nude on the beach, whether they "should be" or not is up to each person's opinion, no right or wrong here, just be prepared and don't expect to see too many slim, fit reasonably in shape bodies.

sorry I offended you, I was half joking.

I personally don't have any problem with public nudity, to each his own. I noted that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I guess my post was a little harsh, and I retract it.

Archived