To Fly Continental or not?

FierceAXBoi

Whats your feedback?

Compared to many of the other "legacy" carriers, they are in reasonably decent financial shape, and fly a reliable and dependable product using new planes. If you live in or near one of their hubs (CLE, IAH, EWR, or GUA), I'd highly recommend them.

Michael

For years I was a strictly "United Airlines" girl. They were the only domestic carrier I would fly (expecially after one bad experience on Southwest). Since then, I have traveled most of the other domestic lines. I really enjoy flying Continental and am happy to see they are still hanging in there. Be careful when you book your flights. If you can, try to avoid those operated by Northwest (aka Northworst). Service was sorta blah, but worse is that they tend to cram one or two more rows of seats on their planes compared to Continental (at least this is what it felt like with my knees jammed into the seat in front of me and I'm only 5'6").

Having lived in NYC & having family in Cleveland (both cities being CO hubs) I have flown CO many times. The one thing is that they are professional and run a decent airline. They don't have the bells & whistels of a JetBlue or Song, but they have a young fleet of Boeing's and get you there & back while still serving a meal (can't say that for most airlines).

And following up on Hate 2 W8t's post, be careful when booking on CO as they do codeshare with NW and have quite a few NW operate flights under CO flight numbers.

jeff

Recently used them on 3 of the 4 legs of a round trip to Paris and back. New aircraft and professional crew. Meals were good. Terminals spacious and clean. Highly recommend them.

On there Boeing 777 the seating is 3-4-3 across. On our flights the planes were basically at passenger capacity in economy.

On last leg home out of Houston a conveyor belt broke that handled the baggage so one piece of our luggage was left off of the plane. It arrived on the next aircraft from Houston and was delivered to our home in just a few hours after our getting home. Over 20 people on the aircraft were affected by missing luggage do to the broken luggage conveyor system in Houston.

However, on the Air France Houston to Paris leg the free champagne before your meal and than either white or red wine (your choice) with your meals was a nice touch especially in the economy section.

The seats in economy got uncomfortable after sitting in them for the 10 hour flights. Neither I nor the seat had enough padding in them to make my rump comfortable.

By the way, used my Delta Skymiles to fly on the 3 Continental and 1 Air France flights. With Delta's current financial mess did not want to take a chance flying them.

I beleive BA puts them in a 2-5-2 in economy on the 777. Still better than the 3-4-3 though at only 9 abreast.

The one time I flew NW, I thought they were good. We weren't crammed in on the A320, and I'm 6'5, but due to 9-11, we didn't get to fly on the CO flight we had booked at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats your feedback?

I'm a CO gal. I fly them at least 1-2 times a month. Flights are generally ontime good customer service Needless to stay they are my favorite airline :) . I hate United. Won't fly USAir/America West/ATA. Don't mind delta or American (not my first choice). Jetblue is nice won't fly for business

Just got back from using Continental on our Las Vegas to San Juan trip, via Houston. All legs were ontime, and even a few minutes EARLY on some! Decent service, food was so-so - philly sandwich for lunch was ok then a breaded chicken sandwich for dinner that wasn't so tasty even with the honey mustard they served with it. I would fly with them again in a minute! FYI flight down was on a Friday and back was on a Saturday and all flights were booked full so arriving early/ontime was a miracle in my book especially the one leaving San Juan as those are notoriously late. I say go for it!

Oh NO!!

I just booked a flight out of Austin, Texas to Atlanta for my nephew's wedding. I booked with Northwest but the flight is operated by Continental. I booked the flight based on our experience with Continental in the past. Have I got us in a big mess? Is there any way to tell how large the seats will be? I already have our seats booked but can still make changes ...... I think.

Oh NO!!

I just booked a flight out of Austin, Texas to Atlanta for my nephew's wedding. I booked with Northwest but the flight is operated by Continental.

It might be a NW codeshare, flown on a CO aircraft. If that's the case, you're OK.

I have been a Continental Elite Passenger for many, many years now (it's about to run out tho because I fly much less). I love them. They are usually on time and very reliable. I am not a big fan of the Cleveland hub but that has to do with their customer service not Cleveland itself.

They are in decent financial shape as well. They do Codeshare with NOrthwest and out of Detroit (my closest airport) I usually take northwest but that has not caused a problem for me. I am treated the same on NW as if I am Co passenger.

Ok..... what is a codeshare, and how do I tell if my tickets are of the ones that I shouldn't worry about?

The information on my eticket just reads Norhtwest Airlines Flight #6188 operated by Continental airlines CO0332 etc.

Thanks for the info gals and guys.

Ok..... what is a codeshare, and how do I tell if my tickets are of the ones that I shouldn't worry about?

The information on my eticket just reads Norhtwest Airlines Flight #6188 operated by Continental airlines CO0332 etc.

Thanks for the info gals and guys.

The NW flight number 6188 means you purchased a ticket from NW

Operated by - Means that they are using Continentals planes.

When looking for gate information make sure you go to the Continental terminal for check in NOT the Northwest terminal since it is on a CO plane and will leave from the CO terminal

Thanks for the tip about checking in at the Continental gates. I am just curious, I don't fly much as you can tell, does Northwest book the entire place and then sells seats, or do they buy a certain number of seats from Continental and then sell them?

Oh NO!!

I just booked a flight out of Austin, Texas to Atlanta for my nephew's wedding. I booked with Northwest but the flight is operated by Continental. I booked the flight based on our experience with Continental in the past. Have I got us in a big mess? Is there any way to tell how large the seats will be? I already have our seats booked but can still make changes ...... I think.

I good place to check out your seating is www.seatguru.com it give comments not only on the type of aircraft & airline but particular seats within it.

A codeshare is when you book one airline like Continental and your flight is on Northwest. You pay Continental, you get a CO ticket, you get CO mileage but you fly Northwest. It is very common with many carriers now.

Thanks for the tip about checking in at the Continental gates. I am just curious, I don't fly much as you can tell, does Northwest book the entire place and then sells seats, or do they buy a certain number of seats from Continental and then sell them?

Its a way of getting more revenue for passengers as you can offer them more of a choice in terms of routes, times etc.

On NW/Contiental you can see codeshares for Northwest/Continental/Copa/Delta all on one flight or any variation of those airlines. Flying international you wouldn't see Copa but KLM codeshares

We booked through Northwest and are flying Continental. Pittsburgh to San Juan; It stated on the receipt from Northwest to "check-in with Continental Airlines at the airport". Also could not select seats through Northwest web site, so went to Continental's web site and using the same confirmation number given by Northwest was able to select seats on the Continental flights.

Archived