Enchantment 5-17 December 2011, Southern Caribbean - review with pictures

I am assuming you are English, not American. If you were an American, you would know that what RCCL considers to be "Beef Stroganoff" is wildly off the mark, and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the actual dish. In fact, you praising it only encourages RCCL to keep serving this abomination of an entrée.

Sorry to be so harsh, but it's the truth (just do a search on "Beef Stroganoff" and see). And I am not the only one. Even reviewers from a Disney World podcast who were reviewing the Oasis said the same thing.

I realize that taste is a subjective thing, but this is another reason we won't be sailing on an Oasis class ship again.

Seriously? You dug out a six month old thread to complain about stroganoff? And insult me into the bargain :)

What does being English have to do with knowing about stroganoff, for goodness sake?! I have eaten versions of it on at least three continents and know enough to know that there are many varieties, which vary wildly. It may not be to your taste, but the RCI one I had was as "authentic" as any other these days. Of course, the Russians who invented it would hardly recognise either the cream or tomato sauces commonly found in modern stroganoffs.

Oh, and don't worry, I don't think you are harsh. I feel a little sorry for you, to be honest :D

Seriously? You dug out a six month old thread to complain about stroganoff? And insult me into the bargain :)

What does being English have to do with knowing about stroganoff, for goodness sake?! I have eaten versions of it on at least three continents and know enough to know that there are many varieties, which vary wildly. It may not be to your taste, but the RCI one I had was as "authentic" as any other these days. Of course, the Russians who invented it would hardly recognise either the cream or tomato sauces commonly found in modern stroganoffs.

Oh, and don't worry, I don't think you are harsh. I feel a little sorry for you, to be honest :D

Oh, David, you just made my day!!! GOOD FOR YOU! Really, we all enjoyed the time spent with you! I remember how quiet you were, in the back of the van, in St. Maartens! Remember the restaurant we all stopped, in to eat lunch? I don't think you went on the MYSTIQUE, in Tortola. I've reserved the MYSTIQUE, for this next cruise, 1/14/13! It was so much fun, & oh, the PAIN KILLERS!!!

Ginger:)

Good for you! And since you enjoyed the dish, regardless of its authenticity, you come out the winner as well. By the way, EJ Korvettes was a bargain basement dept. store in NYC, so consider the source.

By the way, EJ Korvettes was a bargain basement dept. store in NYC, so consider the source.

Oh, that's so good! Oh, aren't you on the upcoming Bermuda cruise, 5/17, out of Balto.? We are. Your name looked familiar, but with all the postings, I've been in & reading, lately, you could have been anywhere! LOL!

Ginger:p

Oh, David, you just made my day!!! GOOD FOR YOU! Really, we all enjoyed the time spent with you! I remember how quiet you were, in the back of the van, in St. Maartens! Remember the restaurant we all stopped, in to eat lunch? I don't think you went on the MYSTIQUE, in Tortola. I've reserved the MYSTIQUE, for this next cruise, 1/14/13! It was so much fun, & oh, the PAIN KILLERS!!!

Ginger:)

Thank you for the kind words. Obviously, I was quiet on the van because I didn't want to be blamed for someone not enjoying their dinner, what with being English and all. Yes, I remember the good ship Mystique returning to port with her CC crew clearly feeling NO PAIN - I mention it in the review, I think.

January is too late for me, I'm afraid, as the NFL regular season will have finished - not that I lack confidence that the Eagles will be in the playoffs, but it's more difficult to plan. I'm actually looking at the Explorer 10-nights in December, out of Bayonne - there's one that leaves on a Monday and returns on a Thursday, when the Eagles happen to be playing the Thursday night game at the Linc. So that would be perfect, I could take in 2 or 3 games, one with "my team". Only trouble is...I checked out the Roll Call, and Hank and Reds are on it :D (KIDDING guys, that would be great!)

For a change of scene, I'm doing the Norwegian Fjords on Brilliance out of Amsterdam in three weeks time. OOO-EEE :)

Hello David

Just noticed your name on the posts, it is funny that you are looking at the Explorer, Linda and I are just booking the December 13th departure with our kids and their girlfriends. Hope you have had a good spring we sailed on Solstice for a week in April and had a wonderful time it was a last minute thing. Linda's mom passed away on January 18th life is slowly getting back to normal for us it has been a tough time for everyone in the family. Her dad is doing pretty good now we will see him tomorrow for Mothers day and have dinner with him.

Hope you are well, I would imagine you are looking at the earlier cruise in Dec. on the Explorer,

Brian J

Thank you for the kind words. Obviously, I was quiet on the van because I didn't want to be blamed for someone not enjoying their dinner, what with being English and all. Yes, I remember the good ship Mystique returning to port with her CC crew clearly feeling NO PAIN - I mention it in the review, I think.

January is too late for me, I'm afraid, as the NFL regular season will have finished - not that I lack confidence that the Eagles will be in the playoffs, but it's more difficult to plan. I'm actually looking at the Explorer 10-nights in December, out of Bayonne - there's one that leaves on a Monday and returns on a Thursday, when the Eagles happen to be playing the Thursday night game at the Linc. So that would be perfect, I could take in 2 or 3 games, one with "my team". Only trouble is...I checked out the Roll Call, and Hank and Reds are on it :D (KIDDING guys, that would be great!)

For a change of scene, I'm doing the Norwegian Fjords on Brilliance out of Amsterdam in three weeks time. OOO-EEE :)

Norwegian Fjords was one of my favorite cruises. Breathtaking! And you'll be there for midnight sun. I actually got out of bed in the middle of the night just to experience it.

Hello David

Just noticed your name on the posts, it is funny that you are looking at the Explorer, Linda and I are just booking the December 13th departure with our kids and their girlfriends. Hope you have had a good spring we sailed on Solstice for a week in April and had a wonderful time it was a last minute thing. Linda's mom passed away on January 18th life is slowly getting back to normal for us it has been a tough time for everyone in the family. Her dad is doing pretty good now we will see him tomorrow for Mothers day and have dinner with him.

Hope you are well, I would imagine you are looking at the earlier cruise in Dec. on the Explorer,

Brian J

Hi, Brian - good to hear from you, but very sorry to hear the news about Linda's Mom. I'm sure today will be tough, but glad you can spend time with her Dad on Mother's Day.

Yes, I'd be getting off as you got on if we did the Explorer options we are both looking at - the later one finishes a bit too near Xmas, I'd want to stay for a Sunday football game and end up flying back on Xmas Eve. Or I could stay for the holidays, I suppose :)

Give my best wishes to Linda, hope we cruise together again one day!

David

• 3 months later...
I am assuming you are English, not American. If you were an American, you would know that what RCCL considers to be "Beef Stroganoff" is wildly off the mark, and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the actual dish. In fact, you praising it only encourages RCCL to keep serving this abomination of an entrée.

Sorry to be so harsh, but it's the truth (just do a search on "Beef Stroganoff" and see). And I am not the only one. Even reviewers from a Disney World podcast who were reviewing the Oasis said the same thing.

I realize that taste is a subjective thing, but this is another reason we won't be sailing on an Oasis class ship again.

Seriously? You dislike one dish, and you rule out an entire class of ship? Wow....

I, on the other hand, would simply have a different entree. Different strokes, I guess.

That sounds lovely. We did one day of that on our Baltics cruise.

However, I wish you were going on the Enchantment again, in March. We will be on-board then, and I would love to travel with you!

I'm sure you've probably kept abreast of the changes... the Enchantment will be moved to Florida soon after the dry dock.

I very much enjoyed your review.

Archived