Taking Food Off the Ship in the South Pacific

mountain grandma

Hello,

We will be taking a cruise in March that goes to Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific Islands, and then we disembark in Tahiti.

Are we allowed to take any food off the ship in New Zealand and French Polynesia? My friend is a diabetic and needs to eat regularly and I must take medicine that requires me to eat when I take it. We planned to take something for us to eat during our port stops -- we know about Australia's rules but what about New Zealand and French Polynesia?

Thank you for any information you can give us. We don't want any surprises or problems in the various ports.

Billie

Hello,

We will be taking a cruise in March that goes to Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific Islands, and then we disembark in Tahiti.

Are we allowed to take any food off the ship in New Zealand and French Polynesia? My friend is a diabetic and needs to eat regularly and I must take medicine that requires me to eat when I take it. We planned to take something for us to eat during our port stops -- we know about Australia's rules but what about New Zealand and French Polynesia?

Thank you for any information you can give us. We don't want any surprises or problems in the various ports.

Billie

New Zealand has similar tight laws about taking food ashore for the same reasons as Australia. I recall warnings about taking food ashore at all the Pacific Ports we have visited. Individually sealed snack food is usually OK however - I carry a supply of low GI biscuits for nibbling when on excursions where shops are unlikely and no refreshment stops are included. In NZ and OZ you will find convenience stores where you can buy portable food items on shore.

Colleen

No food allowed ashore in either New Zealand or FP.

When we were in New Zealand I advised the guide of this (diabetic)in advance and she picked me a fruit and a muffin to carry with me that day.

I think you can try your luck with one of those packed energy bars. But do declare it in New Zealand and have them say its ok.

I know FP does not allow passengers off ships to bring food ashore. However we do take bottled water from the ship and havent had any problem. In Papaeete the market is very close to the dock so you could easily buy a snack to carry with you. I am pretty sure there is a spot to buy something in the port of Bora Bora as well. Moorea may be more difficult but you could ask your tour guide to stop somewhere for you to pick up a small snack.

I usually carry some packaged crackers or cookies with me and have never had a problem bringing them ashore in my bag.

Archived