My Cruise just became solo!

Vitality08

Next month a friend I was going on a short cruise to celebrate my birthday. She just informed me that financially she just can't come up with the money for the flight even though the cruise is paid for. So she's canceling and I'm going alone.

I had always planned on doing a solo cruise "one day", just didn't realize that day would be next month. I'm excited and scared at the same time. This is also going to be my first RC cruise. I think I wouldn't have as much anxiety if I were going with Carnival since I've been on 3 cruises with them and am familiar with everything. I plan on having a great cruise and a fun birthday regardless.

Any tips on being a first time solo on RC for the first time?

My friend and I were planning on doing anytime dining but now that i'm going by myself I think I'll select a dining time.

I have been on primarily Carnival and RC cruises and I can tell you that you won't notice much difference. Some things you will like better, some things worse but overall you will feel just as comfortable on RCCL as Carnival, you will have a great time!

I would agree with the other posters, RCI will be similar to Carnival, there will be some differences but they are more alike than different. I would go with the fixed dining as well as you will get to know your tablemates better and always have someone to dine with. Hope you have a great trip. Happy Sailing.

OK...I understand the excited part, but I don't understand the scared part. Gee...nice accommodations, 3 wonderful meals and snacks a day, nightly entertainment, meeting, dining and socializing with tons of new people, multiply bars and beautiful lounges, tropical ports of call and staff that waits on you hand and foot. You really have to put things in perspective here. I can understand being scared of losing your job, bank foreclosing on your house, getting a divorce, illness, etc. Many of friends can't even think let alone afford to go on a cruise. I think it's really the fear of the unknown than the actual cruise itself. So...my best advise is do your "homework." Read and study everything about your ship and ports of call. Study the deck plans, search on the internet, go to bookstore's travel section, plan, plan, plan. Take notes and focus on what you want to see and do. Don't worry about what's actually going to happen once you get on board the ship in terms of cruising solo. Who know what will happen...and that's the fun part. Not only are cruises wonderful vacations; they are perfect for singles. Get active in your Cruisecritic roll call. I'm going solo in March and I've been chatting away with others going on my cruise. I'm arranging a group of us to go on a shore tours in Barbados. It takes just a tad bit of effort to make your cruise a trip of a lifetime.

She may have done you a favor by not going with you. It's a shame she can't go, but you may find you will NEVER want to go with anyone but yourself from here on. Where are you going BTW and for how long? Lucky you. Enjoy your time for yourself. Have a wonderful time and check back and let us know how you liked it. Bon Voyage!:)

I agree with the above poster. This might be a blessing in disguise.

My next solo cruise is in January and I truly can't wait; I've been active in my Roll Call and joined a group tour. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, but I'm also looking forward to just connecting with myself.

I have cruised solo on Carnival several times. The first time I felt just as you do. It was GREAT. I love doing what I wanted when I wanted. I did meet some great people on the CC roll calls for my cruise. I had a family lined up to share a taxi with in Mexico so I felt more secure. The only other tours I did where thru the ship. When I have cruised with others, I do tours on my own.

I have cruised on RCCL but, have always ended up with a friend. The last cruise was suppose to be solo but, finally found some one wanted to have a free cruise:D

Picking a fixed time large table is a must. Than you have others to dine with every night, as not every one shows up every night.

Good luck and enjoy your "you" time.

I switched my dinner to 6pm and picked a table for 6. figured that would be too many people...I can still move to a bigger table if need be. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited for the trip and the get a way. I'm sure I'm still gonna have a great time. Plus, my birthday is on Superbowl Sunday..even though I'm not into the football, there's guaranteed to be a large gathering of people so I'm looking forward to that.

I've cruised solo a number of times on RCL and had a ball!! It's really easy to meet people on a cruise ship..and lot's of activities to take part in ..or not.. my last solo cruise I did the MTD on RCL and really enjoyed that...I choose to eat by myself..but the tables for 2 are so close together that you are able to chat with your neighbors..without the pressure of making small talk thru the whole meal...for me that was great!

Happy Early B-Day!!!

Cruising solo is really fun! It was how I did my FIRST cruise. I know it can be kind of intimidating, all that time to yourself, you don't know if you'll be lonely or not, but I found some people really go out of their way to talk to you if you're by yourself.

Dining times were the only times I felt lonely, so when I go solo I will go with traditional dining vs anytime, you'll be so glad you switched!

Just think, now the only one you have to worry about is what you want! Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, wake up when you're rested. You can walk around naked in your stateroom for all it matters! (Just make sure you put your do not disturb sign up :D) and you don't have to share your mints! :D

Dining times were the only times I felt lonely, so when I go solo I will go with traditional dining vs anytime, you'll be so glad you switched!

I have been on many cruises solo but this is my first time doing the Norwegian Epic with freestyle dining. That I am a little nervous about. I am hoping the fact that there are the "studios", I can find someone else in my situation to join me for dinner :) But every night having to worry about that...

I have been on many cruises solo but this is my first time doing the Norwegian Epic with freestyle dining. That I am a little nervous about. I am hoping the fact that there are the "studios", I can find someone else in my situation to join me for dinner :) But every night having to worry about that...

Don't worry about that. As you've probably read, there's a get-together for solo travelers at 5 or so each evening. And unlike on most cruises, this is well-attended. There's also a representative of the cruise director's office to help out. In fact, that person often schedules a dinner during the week for anyone that wants to attend. I suspect that if you leave the happy hour without someone to attend dinner or shows with, it's probably because that's what you've chosen to do that particular day. I found that it's nice to relax alone some evenings.

Don't worry about that. As you've probably read, there's a get-together for solo travelers at 5 or so each evening. And unlike on most cruises, this is well-attended. There's also a representative of the cruise director's office to help out. In fact, that person often schedules a dinner during the week for anyone that wants to attend. I suspect that if you leave the happy hour without someone to attend dinner or shows with, it's probably because that's what you've chosen to do that particular day. I found that it's nice to relax alone some evenings.

Thanks for this reply. I am totally looking forward to this cruise!

What date is your Epic sail? I am in the studios in March.

I can't wait to sail!!

Archived