My public letter to Royal: why do you keep pushing me away?

lawgirl

Niki, it's not just about kids. There are a LOT of people on CC that are uptight about darn near EVERYTHING. Don't be put off on Royal, the ships (reality) are not like this board. Trust me if they were I could never have made it through 10 cruises without getting arrested.

Hear ... Hear!!!

Never once have I witnessed anything on-board RCI ships that comes close to the attitudes displayed on these boards!

I hope that you did not allow your child to press the buttons if there were other people in the elevator with you. That would be rude.

Not to just those in the elevator, but those waiting to take one as well. Ah yes, the entitlement factor is alive and well.

Kid or drunken yahoo, why is it any different? Purposely inconveniencing others is rude, regardless of your age.

Some of us need to use elevators. I have asthma, and while I can go downstairs with no problem, climbing more than a floor or two doesn't work for me. I shouldn't have to take the scenic route because some parent wants to indulge their child's precocious behavior. Talk about raising entitled brats.

Wow you even get worked up about it on here. Different strokes because for me, if I used an elevator for whatever reason, it wouldn't bother me to take the scenic route, I'm sorry that it does you. I'm on vacation where do I have to be in a hurry?

Can you point me to those set hours for children dining in SR'S?

Take a look at their website. This is just one place that was it posted.

Food & Beverage

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome and may be booked on-line. Children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. but must be booked onboard; based on availability and total party size. After 7 p.m. children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Wow you even get worked up about it on here. Different strokes because for me, if I used an elevator for whatever reason, it wouldn't bother me to take the scenic route, I'm sorry that it does you. I'm on vacation where do I have to be in a hurry?

Basic manners state that purposefully inconveniencing anyone else for any reason is rude. It is a sad commentary on our society that so many do not realize this. While I would not be up in arms about this, that does not change that it is teaching your children terrible manners to put their needs ahead of others.

People need to drop the emotional attachment and start viewing their dealings with companies for exactly what they are.... business transactions. You pay money and the business provides a service. It is that simple. Allowing a business to tap into your emotional side simply gives them one more advantage, and places a huge disadvantage on the comsumer, in the business arrangement between you and them.

However, as long as RCI continues to provide a product that suites my needs at a pricepoint that I am willing to pay, I have no immediate plans to take my business elsewhere.

I agree with you on this. Well put.

After 2 weeks on the Navigator watching and listening to the behavior of adults in the CL (sorry but it was the D+ folks) I will take the kids any day.

Hear ... Hear!!!

Never once have I witnessed anything on-board RCI ships that comes close to the attitudes displayed on these boards!

I know. I have probably at one time or another done everything that people on here complain about and only once did anyone say anything and my wife put him in his place. Now, it's possible they could have looked at me and showed some disgust for the way I was dressed, or my tattoos or my piercings but that's their problem, not mine

Ref the kids pushing elevator buttons issue, it needs to be looked at for what it is - annoying. The reality is, if that's the worse kids do, they are pretty darn good kids. But it's still annoying and voicing opinions about it on CC is probably better than hunting down the parents and yelling at them.

Take a look at their website. This is just one place that was it posted.

Food & Beverage

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

Chops Grille and Portofino

All guests 13 and over are welcome and may be booked on-line. Children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. but must be booked onboard; based on availability and total party size. After 7 p.m. children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

I have read that many times, has to do with booking children under 13, can't do it for after 7. Says nothing about them not being in there eating before or after 7 if they were booked and seated by 6:59. :)

Basic manners state that purposefully inconveniencing anyone else for any reason is rude. It is a sad commentary on our society that so many do not realize this. While I would not be up in arms about this, that does not change that it is teaching your children terrible manners to put their needs ahead of others.

I read most of the posts and try to get it but I really have a hard time getting worked up about such minor things as elevator buttons while I'm on vacation. I'm sorry it bothers many of you, just sayin it doesn't bother me.

Ref the kids pushing elevator buttons issue, it needs to be looked at for what it is - annoying. The reality is, if that's the worse kids do, they are pretty darn good kids. But it's still annoying and voicing opinions about it on CC is probably better than hunting down the parents and yelling at them.

I kind of agree with this.

Just because you want to take the slow road, it doesn't mean everyone does. But obviously you don't get that it's not all about you.

Just because you want to take the slow road, it doesn't mean everyone does. But obviously you don't get that it's not all about you.

Lighten up you're on vacation. Take a deep breath. Personally I always take the stairs and almost always can beat DW, who is an elevator rider from bottom to top of ship because of those darn kids.

While we haven't cruised a lot, we just finished our 5 cruise this past Nov, 3 with Royal, 2 with Princess, and finally arrived at Platinum through Royal, rudness at any age, is not welcomed when many of us work hard to get the cruise we want. I feel more letters are needed to voice our opinions to companies. Them maybe they will begin to get the message. overall we have had enjoyable cruises with Royal and will stay with them. Our one disappointing cruise was our TA this Oct on the Liberty and this was due mainly to lack of activities, poor CD, and a horrible disembarking in FT lauderdale, yet this was one ship and not fleet wide. What saved this cruise were the Ports we visited and our Roll Call.

I read most of the posts and try to get it but I really have a hard time getting worked up about such minor things as elevator buttons while I'm on vacation. I'm sorry it bothers many of you, just sayin it doesn't bother me.

And this. ladies and gents is the person you get when parents do not care to teach manners (nor reading comprehension, I am afraid).

It is not all about you. While you may not be in a hurry, perhaps someone else is in a hurry? Allowing kids to do this on a cruise ship will transfer to office buildings, etc. Yes it is a minor offense, but that does not mean it is not an offense.

Everyone try to remember there are billions of people in this world and thousands on a cruise ship: it does not revolve around you alone. If we can all remember that, the world will be a much better place.

Lighten up you're on vacation. Take a deep breath. Personally I always take the stairs and almost always can beat DW, who is an elevator rider from bottom to top of ship because of those darn kids.

Like I said, you don't get it and probably never will.

And this. ladies and gents is the person you get when parents do not care to teach manners (nor reading comprehension, I am afraid).

It is not all about you. While you may not be in a hurry, perhaps someone else is in a hurry? Allowing kids to do this on a cruise ship will transfer to office buildings, etc. Yes it is a minor offense, but that does not mean it is not an offense.

Everyone try to remember there are billions of people in this world and thousands on a cruise ship: it does not revolve around you alone. If we can all remember that, the world will be a much better place.

Why is it when I don't agree with you, you feel the need to attack. I didn't attack anyone (about their comprehension or their manners) I just simply said it wouldn't bother me. I never said it was OK to do I just said it's kids being kids and it doesn't/wouldn't bother me. But isn't being on vacation about relaxing? Why hurry?

And furthermore, I'll match my manners and those of my kids with you and yours anytime.

BruceMazz and you are exaclty right. The cruise lines are very successful in making it seem like loyalty is a two way street and that the cruise line is "all about you" and that you are coming home when you step back aboard the ship which, people tend to forget, is RCI's ship and not your ship or my ship. Unfortunately, they are so good at producing the illusion that when they don't live up to it by doing things, like changing the loyalty programs, it creates a lot of grumbling and anamosity. So in some ways the cruise lines are almost a victim of their own excellent marketing strategies.

People need to drop the emotional attachment and start viewing their dealings with companies for exactly what they are.... business transactions. You pay money and the business provides a service. It is that simple. Allowing a business to tap into your emotional side simply gives them one more advantage, and places a huge disadvantage on the comsumer, in the business arrangement between you and them.

However, as long as RCI continues to provide a product that suites my needs at a pricepoint that I am willing to pay, I have no immediate plans to take my business elsewhere.

Another voice of reason!

Where is the like button when you need one!!! :D

I just got off a two week b to b on Norwegian out of NOLA. I have to say.... the number of babies and toddlers has ballooned badly over the last few years on all lines. However this is just plain out of bounds at this point on the holiday cruises. I remember starting cruising and no child under 5 was allowed on board..... I know lots of new families that are now cruising as those rules came down, but really.... a baby?

I have not been sailing with RCI much anymore. (D+ status) as the price has become way too much (I am a teacher and stuck with holidays for now) and the port lineup has really become a joke. (Falmouth and Haiti on one cruise?) So many ships pulled to Europe.... now the airlines are more expensive than the cruise. The list goes on and on.

I am on the Mariner at Spring Break this year.... they lost their minds and put up some prices early on that were just too tasty to pass up. I really miss RCI, but in these days and times.... money talks.

I think this thread got hijacked into a kid hater debate and I don't think that's where the OP was going. All some of us are asking is that Royal preserve some of the refuges that they already have for adults.

For those that want to ship us all off to Celebrity, you don't get balcony discounts and they would have to really change their activities to match Royal. I'm not talking flow riders and rock walls. Watching water aerobics at the pool on sea days just doesn't cut it. Besides some have invested years in RCI and it would take years to establish their loyalty on another line. There is a happy median somewhere getting all defensive (and obnoxious) won't help the discussion.

Archived