Machu Picchu Tickets

CACruzrs

Has anybody had any success buying tickets to Machu Picchu for March 2012 at the online website http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ ?

Currently the website shows zero availability out to January 8 and I have gotten no response to numerous e-mails I've sent to their e-mail address during the past few months.:confused:

Any suggestions?

Has anybody had any success buying tickets to Machu Picchu for March 2012 at the online website http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ ?

Currently the website shows zero availability out to January 8 and I have gotten no response to numerous e-mails I've sent to their e-mail address during the past few months.:confused:

Any suggestions?

The place to buy them is in www.perurail.com

I had been trying to buy MP entrance tickets for June 2012 since Nov 15. Got an email back that 2012 tickets available in Jan 2012.

Thanks for the reply.:) Just out of curiosity, to what e-mail address did you send your inquiry?

Thanks! We've been checking it too for what seems like months. We're going in early February off the Veendam.

Does anybody have opinions, experience or thoughts about whether to climb Montana Machu Picchu rather than Huayana Picchu? Trip Advisor seems to indicate the views are just as spectacular and the climb, while a bit longer, may be less intimidating (my wife is concerned about ledges, ladders, heights, etc.) We're in our mid-60's and in decent but not athletic shape. If we did HP, it would be the early entry. Is HP then MMP in the same day practical or is that just over kill and the time better spent in MP proper? Any recommendations on a paper back guide book? We've read "Turn Right at Machu Picchu.

I have been trying since September. This morning they finally opened them up. You can get them now.

After you got the reservation, did you have any problems getting the online purchase to go through on the website? I've tried several times in the last 24 hours (you have to wait 6 hours and get a new reservation after the 3rd payment try), and even with Verified by VISA personnel on the phone when I hit the submit payment button, the transaction does not go through even though Verified by VISA confirmed that my data was all entered correctly. Any suggestions?

Thanks! We've been checking it too for what seems like months. We're going in early February off the Veendam.

Does anybody have opinions, experience or thoughts about whether to climb Montana Machu Picchu rather than Huayana Picchu? Trip Advisor seems to indicate the views are just as spectacular and the climb, while a bit longer, may be less intimidating (my wife is concerned about ledges, ladders, heights, etc.) We're in our mid-60's and in decent but not athletic shape. If we did HP, it would be the early entry. Is HP then MMP in the same day practical or is that just over kill and the time better spent in MP proper? Any recommendations on a paper back guide book? We've read "Turn Right at Machu Picchu.

I was going to purchase the tickets for Huayana Picchu, and now would also like to know the difference and climb for Montana Machu Picchu.

After you got the reservation, did you have any problems getting the online purchase to go through on the website? I've tried several times in the last 24 hours (you have to wait 6 hours and get a new reservation after the 3rd payment try), and even with Verified by VISA personnel on the phone when I hit the submit payment button, the transaction does not go through even though Verified by VISA confirmed that my data was all entered correctly. Any suggestions?

Does your bank use "Verify By Visa"? Many banks do not use this service including Bank of America and Barclays. I have at least 4 Visa's and none of them use this service.

I had a problem with PeruRail until I finally called more than one bank I use and found out they did not subscribe to this program. I was able to find someone at PeruRail who could charge my credit card manually (I actually used my American Express at that point).

When I emailed a month or so ago regarding the Machu Picchu tickets I got someone at the call center who said my only other option was to purchase the tickets when I arrived in Peru (although you can also go through a travel agent in Peru).

Following is the response received from the general manager of the hotel we plan to overnight in at Agua Calientes:

"If you want to climb the mountain of Machu Picchu which is indeed much better Huaynapicchu. The road is much quieter and not as Huaynapicchu risks. I recommend you 100% of the mountain of Machu Picchu"

That settles it for us (if we don't take a header off MMP, we'll post our impressions in about a month after our return.)

Try waiting about an hour between making the reservation and attempting to use the Visa verified payment system. We suspect that it is important to wait an hour or so after receiving the reservation number before trying to pay for the tickets. Waiting may allow the system sufficient time to process the reservation.

Try waiting about an hour between making the reservation and attempting to use the Visa verified payment system. We suspect that it is important to wait an hour or so after receiving the reservation number before trying to pay for the tickets. Waiting may allow the system sufficient time to process the reservation.

In addition to multiple other attempts during the past few days, I tried this and it still doesn't work for me. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Has anybody else out there tried to purchase entrance tickets to Machu Picchu with a Verified by VISA credit card at the online website http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ ?

If so, did you have any problems making the purchase?

If you were able to purchase tickets, what was the step-by step procedure that you used?

Thanks in advance.:)

Has anybody else out there tried to purchase entrance tickets to Machu Picchu with a Verified by VISA credit card at the online website http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ ?

If so, did you have any problems making the purchase?

If you were able to purchase tickets, what was the step-by step procedure that you used?

Thanks in advance.:)

I am planning on making the purchase in the next few days and can let you know if we have a problem. We will be using a debit card with Verified by Visa (has the Visa logo), since it is the only one that we have. I do know in our case it has to be entered as a credit card (not a debit card).

Did you tell your bank to expect this transaction?

I am planning on making the purchase in the next few days and can let you know if we have a problem. We will be using a debit card with Verified by Visa (has the Visa logo), since it is the only one that we have. I do know in our case it has to be entered as a credit card (not a debit card).

Did you tell your bank to expect this transaction?

Yes, the credit card company was aware. in fact we even had Verified by VISA personnel on the phone in a 3-way conversation with the Machu Picchu ticket office Call Center during one of the payment transaction attempts. Verified by VISA confirmed that we had entered everything properly, but the ticket center computer kept coming back with Operacion Denegada (Operation Denied). Nobody at either end seemed to know how to solve the problem. We did all the standard things like disabling popup blockers, trying both IE and Firefox browsers, etc., but nothing worked. Getting a reservation number was never a problem. During the last few weeks I had over a dozen reservation numbers, but the system wouldn't accept payment.

However, tonight I was on the phone with my son and on a hunch had him go to the Machu Picchu ticket website and enter my VISA credit card payment data through his computer (which is 300 miles from here) and the transaction went through without even asking for a Verified by VISA password. Who woulda guessed?:)

Yes, the credit card company was aware. in fact we even had Verified by VISA personnel on the phone in a 3-way conversation with the Machu Picchu ticket office Call Center during one of the payment transaction attempts. Verified by VISA confirmed that we had entered everything properly, but the ticket center computer kept coming back with Operacion Denegada (Operation Denied). Nobody at either end seemed to know how to solve the problem. We did all the standard things like disabling popup blockers, trying both IE and Firefox browsers, etc., but nothing worked. Getting a reservation number was never a problem. During the last few weeks I had over a dozen reservation numbers, but the system wouldn't accept payment.

However, tonight I was on the phone with my son and on a hunch had him go to the Machu Picchu ticket website and enter my VISA credit card payment data through his computer (which is 300 miles from here) and the transaction went through without even asking for a Verified by VISA password. Who woulda guessed?:)

Can you tell me about the "hunch", and what your son did to get your card to go through without the Verified by Visa password (what password?). My bank has Verified by Visa on it's Debit Card (Visa logo so entered as "Credit Card"), but not on its Credit Card. I would prefer to use the Credit Card, so how did he get your Visa to go through without the Verification process?

The only reason that I have not purchased tickets yet is because I can't decide which mountains to climb and when. My husband wants to do both, but we arrive at 9:30AM/10:00AM the first day and do not want to miss lunch.

Can you tell me about the "hunch", and what your son did to get your card to go through without the Verified by Visa password (what password?). My bank has Verified by Visa on it's Debit Card (Visa logo so entered as "Credit Card"), but not on its Credit Card. I would prefer to use the Credit Card, so how did he get your Visa to go through without the Verification process?

The only reason that I have not purchased tickets yet is because I can't decide which mountains to climb and when. My husband wants to do both, but we arrive at 9:30AM/10:00AM the first day and do not want to miss lunch.

In order to help prevent online credit card fraud, the Machu Picchu ticket website normally asks for a credit card that is registered as Verified by VISA. When you register your card as Verified by VISA with your credit card company, you enter your personal password....and after being registered, an online transaction with that card will not process without entering your password. In any case, every time I entered the password when asked, the Machu Picchu ticket website kept denying my transaction. And as I mentioned before, I even had Verified by VISA personnel on a 3-way phone conversation with the Machu Picchu call center when I tried the transaction again, and even though they all confirmed the data was correctly entered, the transaction would not go through.

My hunch was just to have the transaction tried from another computer that had a different internet connection. And for some inexplicable reason, when my son entered my credit card information from his computer, the transaction went through before the ticket website even asked for a Verified by VISA confirmation. I have no idea why.....??????.....but I got my tickets.

Archived