walking to Xunantunich

grandmacruise

I did the walk after the "river" crossing with no problem a few months after a hip replacement. There is an incline, and if a cane would help, by all means bring one.

Now the climb up the pyramid is another story, that is intense and exhilerating. No guardrails or banisters, uneven steps, can be slippery if humid or rainy, but what a wonderful view from the top!

We just did this excursion through Carnival - after we crossed the river, there were vans that took us from the river to the site. From the site's parking lot, there was one van available to take people up to the main part of the site who needed assistance - it was a steady uphill walk from the parking lot to the main part of the site. Once at the main part, there was a set of steps, then everything was flat - but we did go up one part of a ruin (about 10 steep steps) and then of course there was the Castillo which was the big climb :)

This is the first ruin we climbed up - and then our guide talked to us in the field at the top of this part:

DSC00291.jpg

From the site's parking lot, there was one van available to take people up to the main part of the site who needed assistance - it was a steady uphill walk from the parking lot to the main part of the site. Once at the main part, there was a set of steps, then everything was flat - but we did go up one part of a ruin (about 10 steep steps) and then of course there was the Castillo which was the big climb :)

This is the first ruin we climbed up - and then our guide talked to us in the field at the top of this part:

I thought it would be an uphill walk from the parking lot. I have bad knees have trouble walking uphill. The 10 steps up to the ruins look quite high. Having short legs I guess it really will be a "climb" up them. I'm hoping I'll manage because I'd love to see the site.

I thought it would be an uphill walk from the parking lot. I have bad knees have trouble walking uphill. The 10 steps up to the ruins look quite high. Having short legs I guess it really will be a "climb" up them. I'm hoping I'll manage because I'd love to see the site.

It is an uphill walk from the parking lot. Her is the full size of the largest ruin you can climb. Keep in mind the steps from the ground up are about 2 foot depth per step. I'm 5'5' tall with no health issues and it was slow going and tiring. There is cheater stairs on the side the third pic is those stairs.

n30o03.jpg[/img]

View looking down the stairs

209t7px.jpg[/img]

Courtyard view

5xuzjd.jpg[/img]

EDIT ABOVE POST.... The 3rd pic is not the cheater stairs. Too much time had passed for me to edit post. The cheater stairs are wooden man made stairs with a hand rail. From those there is still stairs that curve around the back of the temple that you have to climb. They are not as deep as the ones on the front, but are slightly uneven rock, not smooth stone.

Archived