Why wine?

hlb76

I have been thinking lately... why can you carry on a bottle of wine but not other adult beverages? What is the difference if I carry on a controlled size bottle of fill in the blank vs a bottle of wine?

I know there must be a reason just wondering what the reason was

Another reason could be that some people traditionally celebrate some special occasions (such as an anniversary) with a favourite wine, special vintage, champagne, etc. Most other drinks can be easily procured onboard. Not necessarily so for a special year of your special wine that would make your celebration more special.;)

Most people who drink wine, drink it with their meals. There is a corkage fee if you drink it in the dining room. That corkage fee is pretty close to their profit margin on their wines. Also, I drink alot of wine at dinner on Princess ships, less so on other cruiselines, because of their wine policy where you can bring as much as you please. On the other hand, one tends not to drink as much when the wine is not so good or over-valued. Hard to force foul tasting wine down one's throat:rolleyes:

Because a bottle of wine= 5 glasses of wine in lost revenue for CCL.

A bottle of hard alcohol= 25 cocktails with of lost revenue for CCL.

I agree with this too. I don't like wine and can hardly stand bubbly either. But I do enjoy a nice drink before or after dinner. Even if I could bring a small bottle of _______ with me (legally) it would be nice.

I don't want to start a huge issue or debate over all of this. I was just wondering why one type of drink is allowed and others not.

I agree with this too. I don't like wine and can hardly stand bubbly either. But I do enjoy a nice drink before or after dinner. Even if I could bring a small bottle of _______ with me (legally) it would be nice.

I don't want to start a huge issue or debate over all of this. I was just wondering why one type of drink is allowed and others not.

You can bet it's all about the Benjamins.

However, that 25-drinks-per-bottle-of-liquor number is based on drinks with only 1 ounce (roughly) of alcohol. Every drink Carnival poured for me on my last cruise was a minimum of 2 ozs. - I saw them pouring. It's still lost revenue, though, even at 12 (or so) cocktails per bottle, compared to 4 or 5 glasses of wine per bottle.

You can bet it's all about the Benjamins.

However, that 25-drinks-per-bottle-of-liquor number is based on drinks with only 1 ounce (roughly) of alcohol. Every drink Carnival poured for me on my last cruise was a minimum of 2 ozs. - I saw them pouring. It's still lost revenue, though, even at 12 (or so) cocktails per bottle, compared to 4 or 5 glasses of wine per bottle.

Well, even if you did get a 2 oz pour, which I don't think is the norm on most ships, a Liter is 33oz, so you'd still get around 17 drinks even if it was a 2oz pour.

Archived