Is it best to perhaps just follow cruise ship rules?

Gordie Howe

Really!

If they are both wrong, why condone either one of them?

"Also lock it up"

In other words - Hurry up before they tighten up security and ruin my chances of smuggling!

:(

Yes REALLY

Two different things

One is a crime the other isn't

you may want to rethink your wording

It is like saying a jaywalker should get the death penalty, both against the RULES

... [part of post deleted] Because I had a left over bottle of wine from the previous week in FL, I decided to pack it in my luggage and take on board. Normally this cruise line would not have cared but unbeknownst to me it was spring break. It's unbelievable how many kids have cruise funding.

My suitcase didn't arrive in our cabin so I called and was told I needed to come to service desk to claim. They said there that they saw "something" on the scanner and would I please open the bag. I started to explain as I unzipped the bag that I knew what they had seen but the person there just said. Oh, don't bother opening it. You're OK. I know it was only because I was a 60 year old female. Too funny! Not what they were expecting on spring break.

I've been following this thread and find amusing the twists and logics that people have used on both sides of the issue. I shook my head especially at the illogical conclusion that people bringing on their own alcohol results in higher alcohol costs onboard. Fortunately someone already refuted that logic with the food analogy.

Anyway, the post above reminded me that there is another, even better reason for the prohibition against bringing your own alcohol - excessive drinking. When the ship sells the alcohol, they are able to control who gets it and (ideally) to cut off those people who have had too much to drink (although this does not always happen). When passengers have alcohol of their own, there is no control since the alcohol is in the passenger's cabin.

When one considers the trouble and damage that drunken passengers can cause (to themselves and others), this may well be the number one reason to restrict the amount of alcohol brought on board a ship. I also understand completely the targeting of those who look most likely to drink too much (i.e. college students on spring break). However frequent readers of these boards know full well that drunks come from all walks of life.

I don't drink much myself but I believe wine has a lower alcohol content than hard liquors. This may be why passengers are still allowed to bring wine aboard.

Okay, that's all I have to say. No insult intended to the others who have posted so please don't take anything I said as a personal attack.

Thank you.

Anyway, the post above reminded me that there is another, even better reason for the prohibition against bringing your own alcohol - excessive drinking. When the ship sells the alcohol, they are able to control who gets it and (ideally) to cut off those people who have had too much to drink (although this does not always happen). When passengers have alcohol of their own, there is no control since the alcohol is in the passenger's cabin.

-------------------

I would nomally agree but you can buy (a lot of ) bottles for stateroom use on several cruise lines. Unless your room steward hangs with you 24/7 who is going to cut you off? Not your spouse for sure!

I have learned the hard way that your hubby will let you drink until you..um...err..you pass out using the toliet as a pillow. :D

Posting Disclaimer: I am not a heavy drinker, thus any small amount goes right to my head....and the larger amounts reappear later, thus the toliet sleeping.

This reminds me of the 911 call from a guy who called the cops to report that someone stole his weed. :D

Me, I don't buy the argument that if I smuggle, it will make fares go up. There are so many ways that other travelers make cruising more expensive for all of us. It seems that you focus on drinking because it is "banned."

I doubt your average college student can afford many drinks on the ship, so you aren't losing much money here. If you said that stopping smuggling cuts down on binge drinking, I would say that that is a good reason.

I book my own activities at the cruise ports. Am I making your fares go up because I didn't book through the cruise line? No, because I wouldn't do the more expensive activity and instead I would stay on the ship and consume their food and time. It saves them money if I get off the boat.

In the many smuggling threads that I've read, the smugglers say that they still buy drinks from the cruise line and often have big bar bills. I know that I'm cheap and if I'm sober, I'm less likely to fork over $8 for a drink. But I bet if you put two smuggled drinks in me first, I'd be much more willing to spend. So instead, why don't you break in and put a bottle of smuggled booze in my room and see how much more my bar bill is than compared to my last cruise?

I am still amazed at the number of posts this has generated!

THE DRINK (SMUGGLE), POLICE...OMG

Me thinks that some people just have too much time on their hands.

I bring (smuggle?) a few bottles of wine onto the ship so that we can have our pre dinner glass of wine, (around 5, with our delivered snack).

AND, there is no way you can stop people from drinking, or drinking too much, our Government tried, and it produced the MAFIA.

OK, I'll fess up. We bring a small rum runner filled with Jack packed into our suitcase. I don't drink it, my husband does. He has a drink whilst waiting for me to finish getting dressed.

It's not the cost, he purchases another one when we get to the bar and we pay for my cocktail at that time as well. It's mainly the convenience factor...which some will argue that we can order room service. We tried that and the drink arrived about the same time we were leaving the cabin for the evening.

It's absolutely stupid that grownups do this. Why a cruise line doesn't allow a bottle for in cabin use (RCI does not, which has been our line of choice) is ridiculous. Princess does, which is a benefit. Princess also allows us to bring onboard our own wine. We happily pay a $15 corkage fee to enjoy that wine with dinner. To get a decent bottle on RCI you need to spend $50-60 a bottle (yes they have cheaper, but we like nice wines).

The argument that it controls how much people are drinking is also ridiculous. It's all $ for the cruise line.

I'm talking myself out of cruising on RCI again and I don't really drink all that much any longer. It's more the fact I prefer to be treated like an adult and I'd really prefer not to resort to "smuggling" than 12 oz. or so of Jack.

We have been on 25 cruises. Most were on Princess, but a couple each on NCL and Carnival. I have carried liquor onboard for every one. No one has ever said a word to me. We have five cruises booked for 2012 and will carry liquor on everyone of them. We like to have a drink on our balcony each evening. We pay for drinks in the lounges and often have wine with dinner.

I am still amazed at the number of posts this has generated!

THE DRINK (SMUGGLE), POLICE...OMG

Me thinks that some people just have too much time on their hands.

I bring (smuggle?) a few bottles of wine onto the ship so that we can have our pre dinner glass of wine, (around 5, with our delivered snack).

AND, there is no way you can stop people from drinking, or drinking too much, our Government tried, and it produced the MAFIA.

.....Hey..You with the drink.....drop it and come out with your hands up!!!!......Just go along with the commands and don't look for trouble.......:D

p.s. my cousin Vito says "dares no such thing as da mafia...we juss meet as a social club"....

The point is obviously missed by those that admittedly condone, promote and actively participate in the illicit act of smuggling booze onto a ship.

What would these rule-breaking smugglers say/do if someone (John Q. Public) decided to smuggle the smuggler's booze out of their cabin? Would they condone Mr. Public's behavior since they themselves performed an illicit act?

Also what has not been answered, why do these rule-breaking smugglers feel they are above the "law" of the ship, the "law" they agreed to when excepting the ship's contract? Why can THEY decide what rules THEY want to follow?

Simple question to answer one would imagine, why dance so much? Obviously the "crooks" can't answer nor justify their "crime."

Archived