Tipping

Bigdog2003

I feel un prepared asking all these questions but with this being our first cruise I dont want to look like a chepskate. We paid for tips when we booked our vacation and I am courious on who I should tip while on vacation and approx. how much.:confused: Thanks in advance

I feel un prepared asking all these questions but with this being our first cruise I dont want to look like a chepskate. We paid for tips when we booked our vacation and I am courious on who I should tip while on vacation and approx. how much.:confused: Thanks in advance

I am thinking hyou paid the auto tips to waiter and room steward. Can add to it if you feel it is warranted.

If so you are pretty much done as drinks come with 15% added to bill.

If you prepaid for tips, the only other tips would be to shuttle bus drivers, depends on what service, usually $1 pp, excursion drivers have their hand out. I only tip these if I think they did a really good job. Victor Bodden I tipped $20, one Carnival excursion I was bored stiff, $0.

room service $1 to $5 depending on how much you ordered.

I bring a evelope of mostly $1 and some $5 and $10 to tip and have change in the ports for shopping.

Hey Bigdog welcome to CC. Not sure how it works fully on Carnival, but on Royal You can add extra cash tipping along with prepaid. Other than that, luggage porters at the terminal usuallt expect a tip. I tip them pretty good just to ensure my luggage makes it to the ship. If you're are visiting the islands, taxi drivers like a few extra on top of their fair. Beach attendants, and ferry boat drivers are maybe some others. The tipping doesn't have to be extreme, a few US dollars goes a long way for them, tourism is their main source of income. Just take a bunch of ones and keep them seperate from the big bills and you'll be fine.

Have a great time, let CC know how it was when you get back!:)

It seems that tipping is a hot button topic here on CC, but I feel it is valuable info for new cruisers. Here is what I do (of course you may feel free to tip or not tip whomever and whenever you feel appropriate, but it's good to get a feel for what others are doing).

At the port, I tip the porters taking the luggage from my car about $2 per bag. If you are flying in and take a cab or shuttle from the airport- tip for the shuttle driver/cab driver.

I tip for room service delivery (if you order from there) about $1 per person. I also tip the server in the MDR a little extra as well as the cabin steward even though I pre-pay the gratuities. I tipped the camp carnival staff during our last cruise, but the new procedure is that Carnival adds 15% gratuity to the rate if using the camp after 10pm, so I may bring a little extra in case someone at camp does something above and beyond, but if not- then I won't need to tip extra for camp. Bar also automatically adds 15% to the bill so no need to tip extra when ordering a drink (although I occassionally do add an extra $1 or so if the bartender is extrememely nice and friendly...)

I bring tip $ for the excursion/tour guide...I think I gave our guide $20 for the 4 of us when we went on the airboat ride in Florida, but she was great- very knowledgable and funny.

Some cruisers tip their maitre-d in the MDR but I have not in the past since I did not require his assistance during our cruise...

Hope this helps you a little- and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!! :)

Archived