Courtyard Marriott - cruise port

NANCYR2

I can't help you but I wanted to say thanks for posting this. I have the same questions.

I did call the hotel today and asked a few questions:

We don't get in to MIA until 8:15 pm so I was wondering about maybe a bar with apps or light eating. They told me that Bayside Market was the best bet. She said it was six short blocks away. I looked online and found they had several restaurants.

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/dining-entertainment That might help you. I was hoping someone could tell me of a place right beside the hotel. There are 16 ladies in our group so we would like to go somewhere and have fun. Not into the Miami clubbing scene, just a fun casual bar or restaurant bar combo.

I also found out that they will take you to the port for 5.00 per person.

• 1 month later...

We have two reservation booked, but need to cancel one soon. We will be arrival to MIA at 7am. Which location is better? We will not be renting a car.

Courtyard Marriott Downtown

Comfort Suite North Miami Airport (we got a great deal on this new hotel).

We have two reservation booked, but need to cancel one soon. We will be arrival to MIA at 7am. Which location is better? We will not be renting a car.

Courtyard Marriott Downtown

Comfort Suite North Miami Airport (we got a great deal on this new hotel).

Go for the Courtyard. Closer to the port, plenty of places to go eat nearby.

There is SOOOO much good food in Fort Lauderdale. Here are my recommendations in terms of value and closest to your hotel:

Gilbert's 17th Street Grill -AMAZING. Great hospitality, food and prices

Chima Brazilian -Really good food. Right off Las Olas. Great atmosphere

There is SOOOO much good food in Fort Lauderdale. Here are my recommendations in terms of value and closest to your hotel:

Gilbert's 17th Street Grill -AMAZING. Great hospitality, food and prices

Chima Brazilian -Really good food. Right off Las Olas. Great atmosphere

Would any of these places be good for a large group gathering with outdoor seating maybe?

Would any of these places be good for a large group gathering with outdoor seating maybe?

Well, it differs. Gilbert's is great for value dining. Their prices are incredible and they make one of the best burgers I've ever had. It's more of an informal dining place with no table service. But it is REALLY good. They do have some outdoor seating, but not enough for a large group. It would definitely be a place for kids and adults. They are closed Sundays.

Chima is a Brazilian Steakhouse. It is really good but is more on the expensive side. It would not be the best place for young kids. They do do groups but you pretty much always have to call ahead. It has a great salad bar and a nice outdoor lounge area. Everything is good, especially the meat. The last time we were there was for my son's 17th birthday back in May and the waiters sang "Happy Birthday" in Portuguese. :D Oh, and the wine list is great.

Some other good restaurants in the FLL/Port Everglades vicinity:

Franco & Vinny's: This is a GREAT italian restaurant. Great prices too. The pizza is AMAZING. Some of the best pizza outside of New York. They can probably accommodate large groups but it does get busy depending on when you go, so call ahead. They do have a few tables outside.

Seasons 52: This is a restaurant owned by one of the major restaurant corporations (like Darden but I don't remember). I've never been to the one in Fort Lauderdale but I've eaten many times at the one in Boca Raton. The price is a little high (~$10-$40) but it is great. The entire menu changes with each season (to keep everything fresh and to shake things up) and EVERYTHING on the menu is 475 calories or less. The flatbreads and mini indulgences (deserts in shot glasses) are GREAT. I do not know if the one in Fort Lauderdale has patio dining biut the two that I have been to both do. They can accommodate large groups and no matter what size... reservations are usually required. They can be made on their website too.

Tom Jenkins' Bar-B-Q: If you want good BBQ, this is the place to go. It is amazing and has some of the best ribs I've ever had. The prices are really low too. They can probably accommodate groups but I'd call ahead just to make sure. There is no atmosphere, table service, and usually long lines, but is AMAZING. So if you even remotely like BBQ, this place is definitely worth a trip.

I hope all of this helps. If you have any more questions... please ask. Writing this has made me so hungry.

Not too far from that hotel is Tropical Acres Steakhouse..Love that place..it's a real "old school" steakhouse, excellent service and real "old school" servers who treat you outstanidng. If you go for the Early Bird you can get the same as the regular menu including dessert and drink, same portions. When I meet cruising friends in FLL they always want to go there and there are always a LOT of cruisers there.

Old Heidleberg is good too..also fairly close to that hotel.."old school" German food plus entertainment. Very popular local place as is Tropical Acres.

Serve more than steaks..they have truly fresh seafood there, too! (Tropical Acres)

I like that hotel, too by the way..very convenient to the airport

Well, it differs. Gilbert's is great for value dining. Their prices are incredible and they make one of the best burgers I've ever had. It's more of an informal dining place with no table service. But it is REALLY good. They do have some outdoor seating, but not enough for a large group. It would definitely be a place for kids and adults. They are closed Sundays.

Chima is a Brazilian Steakhouse. It is really good but is more on the expensive side. It would not be the best place for young kids. They do do groups but you pretty much always have to call ahead. It has a great salad bar and a nice outdoor lounge area. Everything is good, especially the meat. The last time we were there was for my son's 17th birthday back in May and the waiters sang "Happy Birthday" in Portuguese. :D Oh, and the wine list is great.

Some other good restaurants in the FLL/Port Everglades vicinity:

Franco & Vinny's: This is a GREAT italian restaurant. Great prices too. The pizza is AMAZING. Some of the best pizza outside of New York. They can probably accommodate large groups but it does get busy depending on when you go, so call ahead. They do have a few tables outside.

Seasons 52: This is a restaurant owned by one of the major restaurant corporations (like Darden but I don't remember). I've never been to the one in Fort Lauderdale but I've eaten many times at the one in Boca Raton. The price is a little high (~$10-$40) but it is great. The entire menu changes with each season (to keep everything fresh and to shake things up) and EVERYTHING on the menu is 475 calories or less. The flatbreads and mini indulgences (deserts in shot glasses) are GREAT. I do not know if the one in Fort Lauderdale has patio dining biut the two that I have been to both do. They can accommodate large groups and no matter what size... reservations are usually required. They can be made on their website too.

Tom Jenkins' Bar-B-Q: If you want good BBQ, this is the place to go. It is amazing and has some of the best ribs I've ever had. The prices are really low too. They can probably accommodate groups but I'd call ahead just to make sure. There is no atmosphere, table service, and usually long lines, but is AMAZING. So if you even remotely like BBQ, this place is definitely worth a trip.

I hope all of this helps. If you have any more questions... please ask. Writing this has made me so hungry.

Thanks for the info Kirk! I've been tasked by my roll call to find some place to have a pre-cruise get together. I'm actually going on a recon mission tomorrow to Ft. Laudrdale. I would like to find something near the port 17th Street area if possible that has a water view and outdoor seating. I put together one of these last year in Port Canaveral which everyone enjoyed. It's too bad Port everglades does not have a similar set up to Port Canaveral to be able to watch ship departures.

Thanks for the info Kirk! I've been tasked by my roll call to find some place to have a pre-cruise get together. I'm actually going on a recon mission tomorrow to Ft. Laudrdale. I would like to find something near the port 17th Street area if possible that has a water view and outdoor seating. I put together one of these last year in Port Canaveral which everyone enjoyed. It's too bad Port everglades does not have a similar set up to Port Canaveral to be able to watch ship departures.

What is a recon mission?

I leave for 5 days worth of flights tomorrow afternoon from FLL and I'm more than happy to drive around the the 17th street area and see if there are any restaurants. I'll also ask a friend of mine that lives on the inlet (one of the houses on the north side you can see when you're sailing out of Port Everglades... I'm jealous) if he recommends anything in that vicinity.

Archived