What to wear on RCL

cruisinnancy

I've only sailed Carnival before and it was surprisingly pretty casual. Is RCL more formal at dinner? I wore dresses every night on Carnival but it wasn't really the norm. How formal is the formal nights on RCL? Can I get away with a cocktail dress or does it have to be floor length? I have some time to prepare as it isn't until later in the year but really don't want to feel over or under dressed.

Thanks for any help!

Well, you don't say what ship you're on, but I was on Oasis of the Seas just this past Nov. No, you do not need long for formal night. There were quite a few long the first formal night, but more cocktail than long. The second formal night was definitely mostly cocktail, but a few long. On the second formal night, many changed after dinner, whereas more stayed dressed on the first.

I was really surprised how many I saw in jeans on any given evening. Many of the women wore nice casual, but too many sloppy men, in my opinion. I wore dress slacks with silk halter tops, capris with a one-shouldered top, etc.

So basically, it seems like anything goes! But do dress for the formal nights, but wear your dressier dress the first formal night.

It seems that most cruises have become more informal than they used to be but I like to dress up and do pretty much every night because that's what I like to do on holiday. The link below will take you to my review of Liberty of the Seas in June 2011 - I specifically described and posted pictures of everything I wore as no-one ever seems to do that!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1521824

Generally I was a bit more dressed up than most people, except on the formal nights when everyone put in a bit more effort. So I say just wear whatever you want - there will be people both dressier and more casual than you regardless!

I have been on both Carnival and RCL and found them to be about the same. I wore sundresses or nice pants or skirts outfits at dinner and very casual during the day (tanks & Tee's, shorts & capris). For formal nights I wore various things - a simple black dress (sometimes long, sometimes short); with fancy jewelry a long skirt or flowy pants with a sparkly top or dressy tank and a fancy wrap.

You'll see people running the gamut on both lines.

It seems that most cruises have become more informal than they used to be but I like to dress up and do pretty much every night because that's what I like to do on holiday. The link below will take you to my review of Liberty of the Seas in June 2011 - I specifically described and posted pictures of everything I wore as no-one ever seems to do that!

Generally I was a bit more dressed up than most people, except on the formal nights when everyone put in a bit more effort. So I say just wear whatever you want - there will be people both dressier and more casual than you regardless!

Lara: I went back and read your original trip report, you wrote such a great report and I loved all the pics of you in your outfits. I think if more people posted those we wouldn't have so many questions about what's appropriate or not for the MDR. I also love to dress up every night, probably slightly more casual than you did for the non-formal nights, but since I work in a law office I like to wear outfits on cruises that I wouldn't get to wear to work, i.e., strapless, spaghetti straps, halters, sexy jeans with heels, you get the picture. Since you love shoes, I should post a photo of the awesome J.Lo gold pumps I got to go with my cream cocktail dress for my cruise later this month.

Great trip report! thank you! I really enjoyed reading it and looking at all the pictures. I can never see enough pictures of people's vacations! :D

Cocktail dresses are just fine and pretty standard for today's cruising. You will still see lovely long gowns, but not nearly as many as previously.

Nice skirts and dressy pants with sparkly tops also work well.

I kind of miss the days of the true formal nights, though, even though we don't usually do that anymore either.

I also agree that women on the ship are more likely to be dressed up than men.

Archived