40 pounds in 4 months

You are doing great--don't be disappointed that you are not losing the 40 pounds in 4 months; that's an extremely ambitious goal and not easily doable by most of us unless you are extremely heavy or on Biggest Loser!

1-2 pounds a week is great, doable and the right way to lost weight. Congratulations. (I tend to set big goals too, I'm sometimes very unrealistic, like, two weeks to the cruise, 10 lbs. too heavy. But, I'm learning.)

Oops, I forgot to post last Friday. I lost 2.6 last week for a total of 14.8, yay! I am still working hard, probably no chance for 40 but the closer the better! 7 more weeks!

You should be really proud of yourself! 14.8 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats....

You should be really proud of yourself! 14.8 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats....

So true! 14.8 pounds is a size! My 50th birthday came (Tuesday) and went without me hitting my 'announced goal' of 40 lbs or my 'secret overly ambitious goal' of 50 by 50. I didn't even make 30. However, I'm down a size and almost into the next one, so that's a victory I'll take. We leave for Seattle on June 29th, so I think if I continue to keep trying, I'll be able to lose a few more pounds by then. I am trying to be realistic. Dieting is an EVERY MOMENT of EVERY DAY thing. It's a journey that I'll have to be on forever, so if some days I eat a piece of cake - or two - (it was my birthday :p) then that's okay. I just know that 'tomorrow' and the day after, I'll continue trying my best. If nothing else, I'm making a dedicated effort to moving more and being more aware of the calories I put into my mouth. For me, that's a victory in itself! :D

Happy trails everyone!

I only lost 1 pound this week, unfortunately! So down a total for 15.8 since January. 6 more weeks... guess I will have to plan another vacation so that I can hit my goal at some point!

Even the people on THE BIGGEST LOSER have weeks where they just lose a pound. Just keep on keeping on! You'll get there and don't forget... ANY lose is a triumph! :D

Great job! 2.2 lbs. is a good loss anytime--you'll be looking great.

My next cruise is in less than 3 weeks and I need to lose a few pounds. I've put myself in my own 'boot camp' of exercise and boy am I feeling it! I'll watch the diet too, of course. I'd be happy with a 5 lb. loss in that time period, and hopefully some firming.

I just made the Mexican shrimp cocktail and it was amazing! Even my 3 teen aged boys loved it!!

It's probably water, you would have had to go nuts with food for a couple days to pack that on any other way. Don't be too discouraged by the mid-week weigh in, I don't know how 7 days became the magic number to accurately track weight - but it really is. It's like it gives the body just enough time to shake out all the changes of the week and settle down until the next week starts the process again.

I know nothing of female physiology, but I got to believe monthly periods play heck with the system that men simply don't have to consider.

How's your food diary going? Be super diligent - write EVERYTHING down. Salt and sodas are a killer - a lean chicken breast is good, until you season it too much. Use that app, I would be lost without mine.

When you say you exercise, what, how, duration? My goals have required me to do a solid hour of cardio (135-160bpm) 5 times/wk. Use an elliptical for a week, then a treadmill for a week, then back. One day go low (135bpm), then the next stomp the crap out of it like a crazy person. Watch a fitness show or tape, see how they do the yoga and stretching exercises. I do weights at the gym, but I'll try to do a tape next to my wife at home and it kicks by a$$ the same as the weights do - and "Friday13th" is right again - muscle will burn fat, even at rest - so while everybody is watching TV, stand off to the side and do something - ANYTHING! That's where the TV can be handy making time go by.

Can you exercise in the AM? It will jump start your system for the whole day if you can. The lunchtime workout is good too, and doing something in the evening is also good.

Try the 6 small meals during the day if you can. Give your stomach a week or two to shrink (the sucky part of starting a diet), and it won't take as much to feel satisfied eventually (That's where the V8 helped me). I don't know what your likes/dislikes for food are, but here's some ideas to try:

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail - http://lomexicano.com/recipe/Mexican-Shrimp-Cocktail This whole recipe is like 800 calories max. That's a POUND of shrimp plus spicy sauce and veggies. I make a batch every week and enjoy a bowl whenever I want.

Hebrew National low fat hotdogs. Sounds crazy, but they are 40 calories each; wapped in a slice of wheat bread instead of a bun and you're at a whopping 90 calories total. A little mustard and you can have two for lunch or three for dinner and feel like your eating normally (because you ARE!!!)

Chicken, chicken, chicken - It's easy to get bored with this, but it's a lot of bang for the buck - 35 calories/oz plain. Try Red Hot sauce or the no-salt seasonings. Hot sauce is good for the metabolism too, I'm not tolerant of too much heat, but I like the temporary burn.

Keep the celery, carrots, cucumbers - something handy to snack.

Focus when you eat - don't watch TV, read a book, or surf the web. You can still eat with the family and converse, but take the time to see, taste, and feel yourself eating the food. Pick up the fork, take a bite, put down the fork, chew and taste the food, swallow, take a drink of water. take a breath and do it again. It gives your stomach time to send the brain a signal that you are satisfied - that signal is slow and when you are distracted you won't recognize the signal until it's too late - you overate and can't remember or appreciate what you just ate.

If the pictures don't do it for you (what you want to look like/don't want to look like) then print out the ads for the clothes you want. Hang your favorite outfit up somewhere prominent, one that doesn't fit now and look at it, see yourself in it. Know that this is going to take time. It took YEARS to add it, but luckily you can only take a few MONTHS to lose it.

Don't think your world has to change. If the family wants to go out to eat, go. But have something good. Heck, we went to Chili's last night, I watched DW eat an avocado cheeseburger with fries. Didn't bother me a bit as I ate my chicken caesar salad with dressing on the side. Made a game out of pushing croutons aside and dodging the parmesan cheese shreds. It's about you and nobody - NOBODY has to derail your goal, whether they do it consciously or unconsciously.

Pep talk over - now git er done!

I just made the Mexican shrimp cocktail and it was amazing! Even my 3 teen aged boys loved it!!

I forgot about this recipe! I need to make it. :)

My weight loss has 'stagnated' a little, but I'm sure it's my food choices that are to blame. I have 5 weeks until school is out and then another month before we cruise. I'm going to try for 10 more between now and then! That would be about a pound a week, so with dedication on my part, it should be a very 'doable' goal.

I hope everyone is having a GREAT week!

I forgot about this recipe! I need to make it. :)

My weight loss has 'stagnated' a little, but I'm sure it's my food choices that are to blame. I have 5 weeks until school is out and then another month before we cruise. I'm going to try for 10 more between now and then! That would be about a pound a week, so with dedication on my part, it should be a very 'doable' goal.

I hope everyone is having a GREAT week!

My goal was 2 pounds a week originally.... later changed to 1... now it's just whatever I can lose! I have good weeks and bad weeks. This week I have been sick, AGAIN, I don't know how you stay healthy being a teacher! I only worked out once this week because I have been feeling awful. But I still lost 1 pound this week so I will take it. Total since January 3rd is 19 pounds, at least I will hit half of my original goal!

My goal was 2 pounds a week originally.... later changed to 1... now it's just whatever I can lose! I have good weeks and bad weeks. This week I have been sick, AGAIN, I don't know how you stay healthy being a teacher! I only worked out once this week because I have been feeling awful. But I still lost 1 pound this week so I will take it. Total since January 3rd is 19 pounds, at least I will hit half of my original goal!

Sometimes I just DON'T weigh. It is frustrating when you know you've done everything right and the scale doesn't budge. I am trying to stay within my calorie count as many days as possible. Even when I hurt, I try to stay on my daily walk regime (10 K steps, 10 hills, & 5 miles.) Most days I'm able to exceed these goals and this gives me some calories 'back'. I've lost almost 2 sizes and I'm feeling MUCH better in my clothes. Sometimes this motivates me MORE then weighing! :rolleyes: Congratulations on your pound! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I leave this Saturday, I just thought I would post my final. I didn't make the 40 pounds in 4 months, however I did lose 25 in the 4 months and I feel great. I have dropped 2-3 sizes depending on the brand. I still plan on losing more, I would like to lose 30-35 pounds and my goal is to have it off by next May. So thanks to everyone who followed and your encouragement.

Well since I leave this Saturday, I just thought I would post my final. I didn't make the 40 pounds in 4 months, however I did lose 25 in the 4 months and I feel great. I have dropped 2-3 sizes depending on the brand. I still plan on losing more, I would like to lose 30-35 pounds and my goal is to have it off by next May. So thanks to everyone who followed and your encouragement.

Well congrats to you!!! Happy sailing!

GOOD JOB! Yes, weight loss is a 'journey' and all we can do is continue on the path. I figure even when I am 'bad' I'm not nearly as 'bad' as I use to be. :D I didn't exercise nor did I count calories, so it's definitely progress for me. I recently received notification from FITBIT that I've walked 1000 miles since October 4th. I'm proud of myself for that alone. A year ago at this time I was a 'couch potato'! Now even when I 'fudge' on my diet, I'm conscience of the fact that I'm over eating and over indulging and that there will be a 'price to pay'. Please let us know all about your cruise and good luck with your future endeavors!

Archived