Crossing the International Date Line

Hi All!

I'm hoping that someone can help me. We will be on the Carnival Spirit when she arrives in Sydney from Honolulu. We are spending a few days in Sydney and then flying back to Honolulu. My question is, if we have a flight that leaves Sydney on Monday at 9:00 pm and arrives in Honolulu at 10:00 am, would that be arriving on Monday or Tuesday? I think it is Monday since we cross the international date line, but we want to be sure. We are planning to stay in Hawaii for a few days before heading back home and want to make hotel reservations.

Thank you for all your help! :)

Hi All!

I'm hoping that someone can help me. We will be on the Carnival Spirit when she arrives in Sydney from Honolulu. We are spending a few days in Sydney and then flying back to Honolulu. My question is, if we have a flight that leaves Sydney on Monday at 9:00 pm and arrives in Honolulu at 10:00 am, would that be arriving on Monday or Tuesday? I think it is Monday since we cross the international date line, but we want to be sure. We are planning to stay in Hawaii for a few days before heading back home and want to make hotel reservations.

Thank you for all your help! :)

G'day

You will arrive back at HNL on Monday morning.

Happy travels :)

Sue and Phil

I agree with that. :)

Yep, definitely Monday. We're going the opposite direction (flying from Australia to Honolulu to go on the same cruise) and leave Melbourne at 7:30pm on a Saturday and arrive in Honolulu at 7am on Saturday. :)

It's going from the US to Australia where you lose a day. :confused: We leave LAX at 10 pm on a Wednesday and get to Sydney at 7 am on Friday - a 14 hour flight.

But then we get home just a few hours after we leave Sydney. The whole idea makes my brain hurt. :)

Thanks everyone, we "knew" we had it figured out but like sparky-elpaso, we were having a hard time getting our heads around the thought. :) Having never traveled over the date line we want to make sure we got it right.

Yep, definitely Monday. We're going the opposite direction (flying from Australia to Honolulu to go on the same cruise) and leave Melbourne at 7:30pm on a Saturday and arrive in Honolulu at 7am on Saturday. :)

Thanks, see you on the cruise. :D

Archived