Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

Crunchi

Be prepared for non stop activity from sun up to sun down. From fitness classes, dance classes, Q & A sessions with the artist, concerts, etc. Last year was my first time going and I had a great time. There are things I didn't get to do last time that I plan to do this year. As far as dress, I myself dressed casual during the day but dressed up a little more in the evening. I don't get to do that much so it was fun. It's pretty much whatever you are comfortable with. You are going to have a great time. Everyone is great, from the staff, artist and fellow cruisers.

Nicole, this will be my first jazz cruise, too, but I think I can make suggestions.

For at sea days, I would plan on loose fitting, short, cotton or rayon dresses like Jams World. I live in the Caribbean and most other clothes make me feel like I'm going to faint in the hot sun. I mostly wear long skirts or dresses, but they take up too much room in a suitcase.

For port excursions, I usually wear Keen footwear and cotton pants or shorts. My swimsuit is a tankini so I let that serve as my top and just add bottoms.

I have short polyester dresses to wear at dinner with matching sweaters. No ironing required.

I've done a number of beach clean ups and flip flops are always separated from their owner. I prefer beach shoes with a heel strap like Keen or Teva.

I always pack at least one sarong or large scarf. You can use it for lots of things.

Pack a small umbrella or rain poncho since this will be the rainy season.

You might want to bring small snack packages so you'll have something to munch on on the ship and on your excursions. I like cheese popcorn and peanut butter crackers.

On the ship I'll probably be wearing cute flip flops. :-)

Looks like you have your suitcase all planned out.. Comfort and cute is def. the attire for this trip. I would also recommend you add a over the door shoe pocket bag for all the flip flops and its great to keep all the ladies in the room stuff organized. I'm getting too excited, looking around for some different excursions while in port since this is not my first visit to these islands.

Nicole, this will be my first jazz cruise, too, but I think I can make suggestions.

For at sea days, I would plan on loose fitting, short, cotton or rayon dresses like Jams World. I live in the Caribbean and most other clothes make me feel like I'm going to faint in the hot sun. I mostly wear long skirts or dresses, but they take up too much room in a suitcase.

For port excursions, I usually wear Keen footwear and cotton pants or shorts. My swimsuit is a tankini so I let that serve as my top and just add bottoms.

I have short polyester dresses to wear at dinner with matching sweaters. No ironing required.

I've done a number of beach clean ups and flip flops are always separated from their owner. I prefer beach shoes with a heel strap like Keen or Teva.

I always pack at least one sarong or large scarf. You can use it for lots of things.

Pack a small umbrella or rain poncho since this will be the rainy season.

You might want to bring small snack packages so you'll have something to munch on on the ship and on your excursions. I like cheese popcorn and peanut butter crackers.

On the ship I'll probably be wearing cute flip flops. :-)

Probably around Sept 15th we will receive an email from Capital Jazz with your Carnival booking number (it might also be in your profile by then). This will indicate that the final manifest has been turned over and you can do the Funpass.

Hopefully we will be receiving the August newsletter any day now, that may have info regarding this

An over the door organizer sounds good, but I don't know what my cabin mates will be wearing. I think I can be "cute" with two pairs of flip flops and my Switch Flops. :-)

I generally don't print the pass. One less piece of paper I have to worry about. I bought some sun necessities today, and they' re in the suitcase. May need a few more items since they're on sale now.Sigh. Don't know if I can take another Peabo song. They play his music too much down here.

Ha, ha. I'm a plain Jane, so I won't have much in the bathroom. I'll leave that for my more glamorous cabin mates. My shoes will go under my bed or stay in the suitcase.

I'm so disappointed that Chrisette Michelle won't be on the cruise. I don't recall any of La La Hathaway's songs, so I have to google to see if I liked any of them. Sigh. Also not sure if I want to see Peabo, either. After living in the Caribbean all these years, I've learned to really like soca music and can't take many love songs. Soca is much more fun, IMO! Unless you're "Crazy In Love" like Beyonce!

I've been to all these ports, too, but you can't do or see all the island has to offer in just one day. If anybody wants ideas as to what to do, I'll be happy to make suggestions. Just let me know what you've already done!

And hattack, I've asked yet another person about St Lucia Jazz Festival shirts or souvenirs. They're on the lookout...

thanks for looking out....I was really looking forward to seeing Chrisette Michelle perform but Lalah Hathaway was on SuperCruise 4 on the Carnival Liberty and she was awesome so I'm sure you will enjoy her..It is a great opportunity for Chrisette to tour with R. Kelly, so hopefully she will be on SuperCruise 7

Bob Baldwin has an awesome new CD " The Songs of Thomas Bell", that features Will Downing and Gerald Albright, that I bet will be performed on our cruise and I bet Lalah will perform "La La Means I Love You"

I would love it if Peabo performed some of his classic duets with the up and coming female neo soul artists onboard (Algebra, Choklate, Navasha Daya, N'Dambi).

Every year right after our cruise everyone receives a survey about which artists or musical styles you would want to see on future cruises so you should recommend Soca music. I always put down Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue (New Orleans Brass Band) and keep my fingers crossed. This year for the first time will be Third World, which is a direct result of guests asking for reggae music

Hi,

I was on the SJC in 2011 and loved it; this is my first time on Capital Jazz cruise and if anyone has been on both cruises I would love to hear how you think they compare, what to expect/what not to expect. Someone already told me not to expect a gift in my cabin each night.

Tks

Welcome, akwaaba!

Our group of 3 ladies needs at least one more person for an art gallery tour in St Martin. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, let me know and I'll provide more details.

I'm sure others will fill you in on the differences soon.

I loved the SJC the year I was on it when Dave Koz and Wayman Tisdale (his last before his untimely passing) were co-hosts and it was awesome. This will be my 3rd straight Capital Jazz SuperCruise and we are already booked for SuperCruise 7 in 2013

Both are a smooth jazz fan delight...SJC is on the smaller (2200) HAL fleet while CJSC is on the larger (3000) Carnival Conquest class....SJC has about 15-18 major acts (primarily smooth jazz artists), CJSC has betwwen 37-40 acts ( many musical styles and gendres).both have a very high ratio of returning loyal cruise base..,

you might take a look at each website at pics from past cruises and you will notice other differences, but the common theme is that both cruises immerse you in great music and the chance to interact with the artists in various settings and venues.

True, as of yet we have not received nightly "treats" on our pillows when we return from the concerts on the CJSC, but we are treated to "musical presents" in terms of artists collaberations and every year there is "lagniappe" in terms of artists that you would not see on the SJC (i.e last year we had S. Glover (The Tap Dance Kid" collaberate with George Duke, this year we have Three Mo Tenors and Step Africka".). Many artists appear on both cruises in opposite years

If I had the funds and the time, I would do both every year. Next year I am doing Dave Koz and Friends out of Rome and in 2014 I want to try TJC and the Soul Train Cruise.

My all time favorite is Festival At Sea which I just discovered is sailing out of New Orleans in August 2013 during my birthday week.

Too many great smooth jazz cruises and not enough time/money

See you onboard

• 2 weeks later...

I'd much rather have an election theme than a university or Greek theme. I'll definitely be wearing something else on those nights.

Sigh. This is so NOT my kind of cruise, but you live and learn. I'm more looking forward to meeting other people on the islands we're visting than mingling with the musicians.

If I do a theme cruise again, it will be a Blues Cruise. Those are hard to participate in, though, if you live in the Caribbean and have a job that caters to tourists. You generally can't take vacation during season when the Blues Cruise visits. Sigh. Again.

???, I'm confused... I thought most people book vacation trips like this based on presentation. If this is not your type of cruise (respectfully), then why are you going? IJS.... I hope you have a good time either way, on board with all of us (lol) and the islands meeting and mingling with the "Local's". For me, I'm excited and can't wait to go...

Crunchi~B

@CrunchiB... I'm super excited and I can't wait for the cruise. I was on the SuperCruise IV with Teena Marie, Ledesi. Jeffrey Osborne and Chuck Brown etc. and I absolutely had a ball! The cruise was so much fun and everyone was friendly (including the artists) and having a good time. So much fun! My husband and I chose this cruise to celebrate our 30th Anniversary. He didn't go on the cruise in 2010 so he has no idea what a great time he's about to have. I've already begun the countdown. Is this your first Capital Jazz Cruise?

what a great surprise for him....hopefully the latest newsletter will be out this weekend before his BD, that list the artist performance schedule and theme nights, that you can print out and include with his card.

You might want to purchase Bob Baldwin's newest CD " The Songs of Thom Bell" for his birthday and bring it with you on the cruise so Bob, Will Downing and Gerald Albright can sign it as I am sure they will perform my favorite trac on the CD***Break Up To Make Up **** I would not be surprised if there is not a special performance of the entire CD with Lalah Hathaway, Nneena Freelon and Lynn Fiddmont performing Didn't I Blow Your Mind, La, La Means I Love You and Betcha By Golly Wow

@Crunchi~B.. I don't know what you've done before for his birthday but I can bet this birthday gift he will NEVER forget.

I agree with hattack, Bob Baldwin's (Bob Baldwin Prensents "Betcha By Golly Wow") is an excellent CD. I purchase a lot of music from iTunes but I will also be purchasing the CD. I love all the vintage :) ballads. They're all favorites of mine.

@hattack.. It's good to see you back online with all the great information you provide. I was on CJSC IV 2010 but didn't get to many of the late night performances. I know you were on the cruise last year and I bet you know the ship pretty well (it is the same ship from last year right)? Maybe we could meet up before or on the cruise and you can give us some pointers and maybe have a drink. Are you coming in on Friday and are you staying at the host hotel (mix and mingle)?

I'm definitely excited!

We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel which is within walking distance of the host hotel and we will be at the pre-cruise party on Friday night, so yes, w.e should plan on connecting there (work out details as it gets closer)

The Carnival Freedom (which will be our ship next year also) is the same Conquest Class ship as the Liberty (IV) and Valor (V), so it has the exact same layout and feel..It's just a newer ship...We are already book for 2013 with our same cabin # as this year

Every year the SuperCruise gets better and better, and we make more new friends and look forward to renewing friendships from previous SuperCruises

The midnight allstar jam sessions have become legendary (last year they moved it to the big showroom because the demand was that great) as has the Underground Lounge up and coming neo-soul artists. I've download all of the artists latest CD's on my SONY MP3 player, so I am packed and ready.

See you at the pre cruise party

We're staying at the host hotel but I hear there are a few hotels within walking distance. We'll be at the mix and mingle so I'll reach out to you as we get closer as you suggested.

I was on the Liberty in 2010 but I didn't get around the ship that much. I'm planning it a little different this time around. I want to do the Underground Lounge and some of the midnight jam sessions this go round. So much to do...so little time!

I'm not packed yet but it won't take me long. See you in FL.!!

p.s. Is this the only thread for CJSC that you know of? I'd like to see what people are saying.

go to their website..click on contact us...click on their Facebook page..lots of comments and daily updates

This year we have 4 full days at sea, which means there will be sooooooo many activities to choose from..the good news is that we will receive the tentative performance schedule in the next few days, which will allow you and your husband to plot out a daily game plan ...most artists will be performing in multiple venues (unannounced as well as their schedule performance)thru out the week, and most of the artists will be with us for the full 8 days....the "key" is to pace yourself to last the full 8 days and to plan a daily 20-30 minute "down time (nap) during the late afternoon so you can "hang" all night and when there are multiple performances at the same time, to catch alittle of each..the "toughest seat" to get is the Underground Lounge (room holds about 250), but if you catch the second half of the set, you should be able to obtain a seat...several of the artist will have a Q&A session in the atrium where they often perform a few songs and other artists will drop by to do a song with them..the other "gem" is the late night piano bar (hosted this year by Jarrod Lawson) where you never know who is going to show up....I will be glad to share pics at the end of the cruise for artists you may have missed...If you or your hubby are fans of Nick Colionne, let me know (I belong to his fan club "Connections" and we usually have a gathering with Nick during the week that you can come as my guests)

Your "hubby" is really going to enjoy himself

Crunchy-b, because my friend wanted me to go with her. I had wanted to try a theme cruise, and now that I have, well, almost, I realize it's not my thing. I'll use the experience as a post on my blog, probably, and will post reviews on various sites.

I planned 3 vacations this year, so this will be the second.

Archived