Land and Water Taxis from Marigot

lovethecaribbean31

We'll be on a cruise docking in Marigot in the morning. The ship's times in port are a bit fluid because it's a sailing ship (Star Clipper), so I'm not comfortable booking something ahead of time. But I would prefer to explore on our own as opposed to doing a group tour with the ship. Also the ship doesn't offer a tour that does everything I want to do.

Are there taxis available in Marigot? I would like to see the sulphur springs, a nice view of the Pitons from the mountains (thinking of going to La Haute for lunch or a snack), and possibly the botanical gardens. Then I'd like to have the taxi drop us off in Soufriere town where we can catch a water taxi to Anse Chastanet and/or Jalousie to snorkel from the beach.

Our ship will actually move in the afternoon to Soufriere. But I know we won't have enough time to both snorkel and go to the volcano and gardens from Soufriere. But we won't have to go back to Marigot, we can get back on the ship in Soufriere.

Thanks for your advice!

Is this feasible if we have about 8 hours on the island? Any idea on what the transportation costs would be to do this? Thanks for your advice!

More than feasible with about 8 hours on island. Easily done. Taxis are available in Marigot around the docks or at Discovery bay. Alternatively, you could book a taxi/driver in advance - check Ben's West Coast Jeeps, Christopher Taxi, More Tan a Cab. A cab for the day that waits on you etc, should run about $130-$150.

It is about 45 minutes or so from Marigot to Soufriere. Plenty of time there to see the volcano and bath in the mud - about 1 hour, then botanical gardens, another 45 minutes, 1 hour, lunch - plan at least an hour - 1.5 for lunch - caribbean time. Water taxi from the pier in Soufriere to either Jalousie or AC, swim, snorkel, etc. - if you go to AC, you will see your ship pass on it's way to Soufriere. Assuming back on board by 5, you have plenty of time. Alternatively, do the volcano/muf baths/gardens early on, have a drink at Ladera, take the Tet Paul trail hike - about 45-1 hour, then water taxi to AC or Jalousie for lunch and swim/snorkel the afternoon away. Both beach restaurants are open to the public and have pretty good food, both beaches are public, so you can camp out on them as you want.

Either way, 8 or so hours on island is a lot of time, especially if you can catch the boat in Soufriere and don't have to worry about the hour to get back to Marigot!

Enjoy your visit!!

Archived